Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster cockpit repairs

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster cockpit repairs

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 09:05 PM
kiwijet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skymaster cockpit repairs

Hi guys,

Has anyone any suggestions on the best way to add reinforcement to the skymaster ABS molded cockpit tubs?

My A4 tub is starting to crack and split in various places and being plastic I'm not sure wether glass and cloth will adhere well enough as a reinforcing material.

What do you guys use to repair/stiffen these moldings up? suggestions and ideas appreciated!

Cheers......Rene
Old 07-20-2012, 09:32 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster cockpit repairs

They do make plastic epoxy, that you could glue on the backside with some real thin ply or G-10 material. Thin G10 would probably work best.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:02 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

My larger hawk tub came from the factory with an added layer of Fiberglass over the plastic. It is strong.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:18 AM
Ayrtonsenna
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry Smaster...but there rubbish, I tried to fix mine Red by reinforcing the tub with glass....still wasn't happy.....so I stripped the cockpits out, used the tub as a template, and made new ones out of Balsa / Glass.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:38 PM
kiwijet

Cheers Ants didn't realise you had same problems until Jboy text me last night! thanks guys for the other suggestions think I will try 2ozs cloth and resin first and see if it helps.
Shame SM choose to use ABS rather than a F/G molded tub given that on the A4 it needs to be constantly removed/replaced for battery access etc.
Its good to see Ziv has started an assembly thread on the A4 as there's not a lot on RCU about the SM version and would have thought it was a popular choice for a lot of "scooter" enthusiasts as it's one hellava nice aircraft in 1/5th scale!
Cheers
Rene