Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cant see my damn airplane !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cant see my damn airplane !

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Cant see my damn airplane !

Slow it down and keep it closer. That is the best way..
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup just like jimmy said, I've been using the glasses I bought in Kentucky for everyday use and at work. Good stuff.

ORIGINAL: smitty1001

Brian,

The sport glasses that Jerry Thomas of Zurich sells are superb. I use them not just for flying but every single day - I know Buck tried them a year ago at KY and he got a pair also - he swears by them and drives his flying bus with them too! They make lines straighter, your eyes relax and a whole bunch of other scientific junk I don't really care about - they just work.

http://extremeglaresunglasses.com/

Todd carries them at Dreamworks - you're welcome to try mine first if you want. They run about $70 and you have a couple of choices.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:53 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There ya go Brian. Let me sum it up for you

1 Go get your eyes checked
2 Get a good pair of glasses
3 Buy bigger plane and paint it yellow
4 Fly closer and slower.
5 Learn braille

Hope this all helps
Old 07-23-2012, 04:24 PM
fred985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it could be that you are developing catteracts,,,,mine sneecked up on me . do you have problems driving at night ? do on coming lights blind you at all ? i had both eys done and ended up with better than 20-20. corrected is way better than that. you could try yellow "shooterr" sun glasses,,they really brighten up everything, and reduce glare very well.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

i have light sensative eyes from a past head injury and wear shades to avoid getting migranes. I wear contacts which make my vision better then 20/20 but also wear a very good set of shades from Oakley, especially while flying. The best lense Ive found on the market and Ive tried so many.

a vr28 iridium lense. amazing lenses to look through. blocks %100 of all harmful UV's including blue

http://www.bdsunglasses.com/oakley-i...Oak_d_05_d_631
Old 07-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DavidR

Brian,

I have flown for years with a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. Mine are prescription glasses but if you don't need corrective lens their stock sunglasses are very good. I have two different pairs I wear with my contacts. They are polarized which makes a big difference. The Maui Jim's are much better than the Zurichs in my opinion.

David Reid

David,

What type of prescription glass did you have installed?

Kurt
Old 07-23-2012, 04:57 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

I have my eyes checked three times per year. Two required FAA flight physicals and I have an annual routine eye exam with an eye Dr.. I do not have cataracts. I dont have troubles driving or flying full scale at night with out distant vision correction. Interestingly I used to need distant correction but as my close up vision has slowly gone down hill over the last 10 or 12 years my distant vision has gotten better all on its own to the point where I am 20-20 in one eye and nearly 20-20 in the other eye and with both eyes I can pass 20-20 with a little struggle and strain. My eye Dr had told me years ago that some peoples distant vision improves as the close up vsion gets slowly worse. I guess Im one of the fortunate few that have this happen to them. When I had my last eye exam with the DR he was kind of skaking his head and telling what my distant vision was 5 or 6 years ago in my weak eye and how much it had improved. I dont normally wear any sun glasses when playing tennis but I did this morning I really did feel like I was seeing the ball sooner and better. I hope to get out to the flying field tomorrw afternoon I now have three pairs of differnet polarized sun glasses to try out. As the gentleman from Plano said it was just a really really bad hazy sky and my airplane is the worst possible size and color scheme for that kind of day. Especially with no sun glasses. The title of my post may be making some of you think the situation was even worse than it was. I obviously could see it ( with the exception of the one time where I totally lost it) I just couldnt see it the way I want to and need to for it to be enjoyable and fun. I have no intention of flying slower and closer in, that defeats the purpose for flying a turbine powered model for me anyway. I really dont think a differnt paint scheme would make a differance or much of one. I have been flying this airplane for a little over 11 years. The airframe is kind of beat up and banged up and isnt in my opnion a cnadidate for a new paint job. It will be time to retire it soon before some critical glue joint fails under the stress of flight. Give me some clouds for a back ground to help provide some depth perception and contrast and some appropriate sun glasses and I think I wll be fine. If I had this thread to do over again I would have just simply asked what brands and types of sun glasses guys are using and not made any mention of my two flights on Sunday. That was the purpose of my post to get reccomendations for which sun glasses guys are using and why do I could give the most popluar ones a try. I appreciate the other thoughts and suggestions but for now I will try to find the sun glasses solution that work best for me. I'm pretty sure I can find some that will get back to where I can fly the airplane comfortably and safely the way I enjoy flying it.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:00 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Thanks Stonneeforcer, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Not only will this possibly help me but hoprefully some others as well.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:37 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If the Oakley's are more than you wanted to spend I have two pairs of the Zurich's as well and like them. I have the regular dark in a prescription lens and a pair of dark rose fit overs. The standard gray actually has a small touch of brown so it filters out the haze without changing your color perception. The dark rose really makes colors pop and are dark enough for our bright Texas days.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:02 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Agreed, the rose make everything... well, perfect!
Old 07-23-2012, 09:15 PM
jester_s1

Turnnburn, if you happen to fly at Thunderbird field ever I'd be happy to bring a pair of the dark rose glasses for you to try.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't imagine how you can fly without sunglasses. I'm fairly young, have good vision, but without my sunglasses my planes would be too difficult to see to make this hobby enjoyable. I wear Ray-Bans and Oakley non-polarized glasses when I fly. Polarized lenses make it difficult to see the screen on my transmitter.

My sunglasses for this season are Oakley Holbrooks, being sported by Valentino Rossi in the photo below:

Old 07-23-2012, 10:59 PM
gene737

Poor vision and small fast aircraft don't make for an enjoyable afternoon. An eye exam by a real eye professional will give you what you need to correct your vision to the best it can be. After that, good sunglasses, a hat with a brim to limit light scatter on the back of your lenses, and keeping your aircraft in at a reasonable distance will turn things around so you can enjoy the hobby. Hope things work out for you.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 AM
rcfun2005

One other thought...

I have seen tech articles on visibility enhancements stressing high contrast for better visibility .

So does not have to be yellow ,, Black and white stripes work well .... White on navy blue. .. Red/white

What ever colors goes better on your scale look but get some contrast

Also keeping top wing scale, but add contrast on bottom side of wing.

Used some of various color tapes which can be removed to test out.

So getting some scale looking contrast

High contrast does help out on the on what I tried out without using yellow

Just another angle
Old 07-24-2012, 04:54 AM
lasers200

Get the Zurich glasses, they are the best. I had the same problem. polarized glasses are not good for RC flying. Zurich are non-polarized, go to there web site. They have a lot of good info.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:02 AM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Maui Jim prescription sun glasses; rose colored for me. Work great!
Oh, and bigger airplanes don't hurt either ;-)

Z
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm noticing a lot of things in myself that you folks have been talking about.

I'm in my mid-60's and was considering it. How old were some of you when you had it, and was it worth it. In other words:
1. Did it make a large or small difference, and
2. Did it last or did you outgrow the effects of the surgery?

Thanks,

Bob
Old 07-24-2012, 08:47 AM
E.N.T.
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This type of eye correction depends on which condition you
have. Lasik will correct far sighted vision but, can increase your near one.
Usually can last over 10-15 years as I had mine done.
BUT, if you have cataracts, that's a different story. Usually ophs. perform
them when they are what is called "mature" cataracs. If not, they will
prescribe glasses in the meantime.
So, you know what to do first; eye exam.

ENT
Old 07-24-2012, 09:56 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Zurichs also and although they are great to look through they scratch easily, the coating that is,but they are impact resistant. next time you see them at an event look at the ones he shot with a .22 LR round at near point blank range. No hole.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM
jester_s1

The standard Zurichs are polycarbonate which is very impact resistant but soft. They are coated with an anti-scratch material but anything can be scratched. They aren't the best. They are good and a good value. For those considering it though the prescription lenses are not polycarbonate. I had a fairly thorough discussion about that when I ordered them and was told that polycarbonate doesn't accept the coatings as well so they recommend not using it. They were very spotty about getting my glasses done, but now that I have them I'm pleased with them. A two week project turned into 10 weeks, but I got a free extra pair of fit overs for my trouble and they were very attentive when I called to ask about them.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for that info, E.N.T.

Bob