Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel Shutoff Valve??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel Shutoff Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 05:53 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fuel Shutoff Valve??

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

I just don't buy the theory of a running pump generating enough pressure to either break a connection loose, or cause the manual SOV to leak. If any of these happen, only means the installation was probably not very robust to begin with.
The manual SOV is for engine kill, not pump kill.

If your engine throws out fire from the intake side, you already have a catastrophic event, and you should be reaching out for a fire extinguisher, not a SOV!!!!
What's not to "Buy"? Who says it is "theory"? A Hausel pump at 200+ PSI (pump running full capacity) with instant closure of the SOV, on a line rated for around 150psi.... what would you expect to happen?
If your engine throws fire from the intake, would it be most logical to kill the fuel supply THEN reach for the extinguisher?..... Instead of taking the approach of - it will never happen to me - perhaps an ounce of prevention instead of denial (LiPo fires dont happen either, right??) It HAS happened... therefore it is not theory!
Food for thought....
Old 07-24-2012, 07:28 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Todd if your pump is running at 200 psi, Im hoping you are using it for retract air pressure and not fuel feed.
At that pressure you may as well leave any shutoff devices out.

I'm afraid not even a full size fighter jet will even survive it, as they are rated at 180 psi surge max.

Respectfully disagree. Yes it can happen to me, I just try really hard to prevent it.

Peace out!
Old 07-24-2012, 07:31 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If there was fire coming off of the intake what would I do? Give Eric Clapp a call and lots of cursing.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:04 AM
lov2flyrc
My Feedback: (24)

ORIGINAL: FalconWings

At that pressure you may as well leave any shutoff devices out.
If put BEFORE the pump, max pressure does not matter! It is that simple

You are welcome to disagree and I respect your opinion however; it has already happened..... it is proven, not theory
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

As this debate runs it usual course, I'm just curious if anyone has added DISCONNECT POWER to the fuel pump to their emergency proceedures? (whether it be turn rx off, or unplug ECU batt) Just curious - obviously in real world app we react in less than ideal ways.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 AM
mick15

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right, that’s put that to bed! Now let’s have an argument about where to put the filter!!

lol

m
Old 07-24-2012, 08:54 AM
kimhey

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

A "valveswitch" that combines fuel on/off and pump on/off would be perfect. Turn one small handle, and you kill the pump and shut off fuel. I am sure someone could easily manufacture such a thing.

The fuel shutoff valve is also used during refuelling to prevent fuel to enter the turbine (and cause a hot start). But in the event off a fire, it would be very nice to have the option of just cut the power to the pump! For most of us, retrofitting an "on-off" switch prior to the pump, is an easy fix!