Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

What is my steering servo doing?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

What is my steering servo doing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Dig it

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is my steering servo doing?

I'm setting up my Panther and other than a small problem with the UAT that I believe Wayne22 has probably corrected for me the steering servo has an odd movement.
I'm using a 9303 and have the steering servo plugged into Aux2. Rudder on its natural channel. I've slaved Rudd-Aux2. The rudder works fine. The steering servo goes right perfectly but when I put in left it goes right first then left. What the heck? Its a small movement, say a 1/6 of the servo movement and then left it goes.

Dale
Old 07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: What is my steering servo doing?

You possibly have an interactive mix operational on the Rudder/nose wheel steering servo, check the trim positions/direction and if they are combined or singular.

Mike
Old 07-24-2012, 02:24 PM
Grodus

Did you inhibit your aux2 switch?
Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Dig it

Yep Aux2 is INH
Old 07-24-2012, 03:39 PM
john josey

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The first thing i would do is check the servo monitor on the TX to see if it shows up on that ?
Old 07-24-2012, 05:05 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Would be better to remove all the mixes and mate aux 2 to the rudder channel. I agree you have some mix active causing this.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Johnny Isaiah Woods
My Feedback: (81)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

John,
How do you mate the aux2 to the rudder? TIA.

Johnny
Old 07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
bcovish

Johnny

What radio?
Old 07-25-2012, 04:31 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 346 Likes on 277 Posts

Johnny

What radio?
I'm using a 9303 and have the steering servo plugged into Aux2
Same way you mate ailerons or elevator halves. Hold the button and turn on the radio and get into the system menu.

Before you go messing with anything though, take a look at the monitor screen and see whether its a mixing issue or not.
Old 07-25-2012, 05:44 PM
John Redman

You mate in the device select menu. You need to clear all the mixes before you do this.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:58 PM
bob1393
My Feedback: (10)

Dale - I have an F9 Panther also with a JR 9503 radio, which is very similar to your 9303. What I have done is put the steerable nose gear on the rudder channel, and the rudder on the aux. channel. Then mix the two. Now when you need to make small trim adjustments on your steering ocassionally, you use the rudder trim switch and it does not change the rudder trim if you set it up properly. After your first couple of flights if you find you need any rudder trim, adjust it while on the ground, and test fly until you get the rudder trim correct. You should not need to do any further rudder trim. However, you now have the ability to adjust your steering, which usually changes if you are using the wire pull pull system as it tends to stretch over time.

Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Dig it

Thats a really good idea Bob. Thanks for the tip.
Although I wasn't able to find the problem within my current setup, I simply selected a new model in the radio and mixed Rud-Aux2 and away i went. The truth be that I have not setup this elaborate a model before, nor have I used the 9303. I had changed several items around (steering, turbine aux, breaks) a few times trying to find the right combo and in doing so I changed something that caused my problem. All is well, just gotta reprogram the rest of it and I'll be off. lol, shoulda done that a few days ago.

Dale
Old 07-26-2012, 07:36 AM
John Redman

So I find it odd you would not be able to trim your rudder for flight as the trim is hooked up to the nose gear.

For most of us flying 12X's and similar transmitter's that have a rotary dial, I think a fair amount put the nose wheel steering on a channel that is controled via the dial. We then mate or mix the nose wheel steering to the rudder channel. You can use the dial to trim your steering and of course the rudder trim to trim your rudder.

If not then you trim the rudder for flight and when you land you adjust the nose wheel steering linkage after your flight to get ti straight.

Dale if you continue to have questions, please pm me and we can exchange phone numbers and get you striaghtened out.
Old 07-26-2012, 08:24 AM
GR7Racer

What John said....

But, I like to use a channel controlled by the eyebrow trimmers on the 12x. That will "save" the trim setting for your nose gear and will not be dependent on having your knob in the correct position which might be a problem if you use the TX on multiple models, or bump the knob while handling the TX. You can do the same thing on a 9303 or 9503 by using a channel activated by the trim switches.

I also like to use a mix for rudder to nosegear, not channel mating. This allows you to deactivate the nosegear servo when the gear switch is in the "up" position.

KennyMac
Old 07-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

+1 to Kenny Mac
Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM
bob1393

Hi John - I'm not sure how I did it, but you helped me. With the steering on the nose gear and the rudder on an aux. channel, you told me what to do to deactivate the trim for the rudder. Now the rudder trim only adjusts the nose steering and does not affect the rudder trim. I can't remember what you had me do to make this work, but it works!!! Thanks John.

Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
John Redman

You can deactive the trim from the slave channel when mixing. The one thing I don't understand is why you would not want any rudder trim in flight?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:28 AM
bcovish

I may be wrong here but wouldn't it be better to leave the rudder on the rudder channel and the nose wheel on aux two so each one can be trimmed independently?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:40 AM
Jetmodeler

John,
I also have been using the Aux. 2 channel for rudder and rudder channel for steering, you can accurately trim the nose gear during the back taxi to improve your holding the line on takeoff. I have found I put more thought in to my rudder trim corrections when restricted to only retrimming the rudder after you land. Planes like my old CAI Razor are very rudder trim sensitive to roll, pull vertical and any yaw issues will of course show up, but rudder trim also greatly effects roll trim with speed on this bird, slower it rolls in to the yawed direction, so the forced discipline to correct only on the ground has improved my accuracy of rudder trimming. It does suck to only trim the rudder after landing, but not moving it all the time forces on to get it right one time and not mess with it anymore, that's been my experience.
Jim
Old 07-26-2012, 12:20 PM
bob1393

In my experience John - nose wheel steering trim seems to change over time with wear and tear, whereas rudder trim, once set, does not need to be changed. If you need to change rudder trim in the air, then you are changing your steering trim also, if they work together. I don't want my steering trim to change every time I need to do a rudder trim change. It really works slick John as I really never have to change my rudder trim once set, but steering trim seems to change often.

Bob
Old 07-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On the 9303 you canmix (not mate)rudder to Aux2 and not include the trim by using #RUD as the master instead of RUD. That way you are just using the stick itself for input. Mix percentages around 70-80%. You can also use the RTRM (Flap Trim) switch as the master to Aux2 to trim the NWS servo. Set the mix percentages to something like 35-40%. Plus you can set these mixes to be off with gear up. This is what I use all the time and the NWS trim does move around.