Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

RCJI engine reviews gone?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

RCJI engine reviews gone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RCJI engine reviews gone?

I can't spot their engine comparison table in the most recent issue. Did they drop it? I hope not, as the data comparison table was one of the main reasons I subscribed !
Old 07-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts
Default RE: RCJI engine reviews gone?

No, they are just working on a whole special on turbine tests...Early September release. I guess the table will include all that data when its finished

Dw
Old 07-30-2012, 12:37 PM
highhorse

Thanks Dave, I will look forward to that.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:33 PM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they test an engine in that issue? It's usually only posted in conjunction with a review/test.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:51 PM
highhorse

Didn't see a test. I'd thought the table was in every issue, but could very well have been mistaken about that.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The last few engine tests have been lame. I really liked the stuff Oliver Nicolas had done as he called it the way it is - as it should be.

I hope this new special isn't just a way to please advertisers.

PaulD
Old 07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
highhorse

Ditto that. The world is already full of fluff "reviews" which gloss over flaws. I have never read a kit review that came straight out and said "This thing is a piece of crap that will still be marginal even if you DO re-engineer everything that the mfr got wrong".

I rarely read kit reviews any more for that very reason, I simply dont percieve credibility in them.

That's why I like the data comparison tables so much. The numbers are the numbers, and the numbers are right there for anyone to rummage through.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:59 PM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all you scratch my back & I'll scratch yours. The product manufacturer is unlikely to take out that full page advert, if everyone is told his product is useless.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
TimWatson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my view RCJI has gone right down the tubes. I dont suscribe any more. Not worth the paper it is printed on in my opinion
Old 07-30-2012, 10:36 PM
Pepperpete

In this day and age, I think it's absolutely stupid that I have to subscribe to a magazine just to get a single page worth of data. I really am not that interested in the articles in the magazine as I get everything I need on the various forums. But I would pay a one time charge to be able to get that turbine comparison chart instead of having to have someone scan it for me. Really gets my goat. This magazine should be offered with a digital version for Ipads/Computers. Get with the freakin times.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:55 PM
basea

The digital version for iPads has been available for many months!
Old 07-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Jgwright

Ditto that. The world is already full of fluff "reviews" which gloss over flaws. I have never read a kit review that came straight out and said "This thing is a piece of crap that will still be marginal even if you DO re-engineer everything that the mfr got wrong".

I rarely read kit reviews any more for that very reason, I simply dont percieve credibility in them.
I have had the pleasure in assisting Colin with the more recent tests for RCJI and I can assure you that the reviews are a true reflection of the engine tested. The simple fact is that all the engines tested these days do run and usually close to the claimed figures. My own view is that having independent tests like those carried out by RCJI has helped improve the accuracy of manufacturers claims. I am not aware of any engine that is ' a piece of crap' as you so delicately put it. A lot of testing of recent engines has been carried out and as Dave W says will be published soon.

John

Old 07-30-2012, 11:51 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: Jgwright

Ditto that. The world is already full of fluff ''reviews'' which gloss over flaws. I have never read a kit review that came straight out and said ''This thing is a piece of crap that will still be marginal even if you DO re-engineer everything that the mfr got wrong''.

I have had the pleasure in assisting Colin with the more recent tests for RCJI and I can assure you that the reviews are a true reflection of the engine tested. The simple fact is that all the engines tested these days do run and usually close to the claimed figures. My own view is that having independent tests like those carried out by RCJI has helped improve the accuracy of manufacturers claims. I am not aware of any engine that is ' a piece of crap' as you so delicately put it. A lot of testing of recent engines has been carried out and as Dave W says will be published soon.

John

Please note that my comments quoted above were in regard to the typical kit reviews found in all mags these days, as opposed to RCJI's engine reviews and comparison tables, which I mentioned in the original post as one of the main reasons lI subscribe.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:44 AM
Meesh
My Feedback: (135)

+1 Bring back the Reviews by Olivier Nicolas. Everything you could possibly want to know about a Turbine, and somethings you didn't know you wanted to know, written without bias. (not that the current reviews are written with bias)

Bob