Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: CARF Ultra Flash

ORIGINAL: indubitably

P 100 RX will push it to 215, but it takes a while to get there. Take off needs 400 ft, and the speed builds slowly. Once up to speed, it will go vertical possibly 1,000 feet before perceptably slowing. And low residual thrust is nice. The P120 SX Will be all around faster getting there, and higher top end. The 160 is frequently used, and is lively, but will not hold a vertical climb if you start slow and point vertical, and hold it. I cannot wait to see what the P180RX will dow for this plane. Will find out in a few weeks when a friend picks his up. We will probably radar him for reference.. The vertical should accelerate, and the take off should be under 200 ft. estimated. The P200SX wont fit, without a lot of work, and im not the one to do it.
    Thanks, good info here. I heard, I think it was Ali in England, either he of someone else ther put a Rhino in one and it is outrageous.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: basimpsn

ORIGINAL: SniperWj

the 180rx work just like what you said.

I can give it unlimited vertical come out from slow and low pass.

one word..awesome!

mine weight 10.5kg uat full but tanks is empty

yiming
    I wouldn't use any turbine with thrust rating higher than a 170, I did the K-180 in my ultra Flash although the full throttle was not a problem, but my idle thrust was too much for landing. So I swap with my k-170. Notice my video I had to bleed off speed before take off .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k357mbHFCmI

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

when I had the 160 in it, we kept dialing it back...ended up around 24-26 lb thrust.. plenty to go vertical (midwest).. If you have all the speed out of your system, then build it light weight and use one of the smaller lighter engines.. thats what Im doing this winter.. I saw one fly recently with a Tam pipe, lighter servos, and less than 20lb overall weight..yes, less than 20lb.. with a P100.. it flew absolutely beautifully.. would slow to a crawl.. plenty of smash.. Im going to put a wren 100 in mine with the stock pipe, and toss the pilot/cockpit, and take out the smoke.. that should bring me in around 22lb.. FWIW
    Yea, I have to agree with you. I prefer the lighter wing loading, less residual thrust and being able to slow it down, though a lot of flap can assist there. I was planning on the Rabbit, but I like to see what others have done and the results they get. Like I said before, I don't need to go ballastic, spent 10 years flying bandits doing that, getting older, like to relax a little more.
    Totally agree, have flown flash with Rabbit 100 at 21lbs, and Cheetah at 22lbs aircraft weight. With the lighter engine, the plane handles SO nice, still does 180mph, take off and landings in 150ft. It is faster with the Cheetah, about 225mph but, doesn't ''feel'' as light and becomes more of a straightline speed plane.Also, higher residual thrust and more time to spool down with a bigger engine.* I like the way it will slow to a crawl with the smaller engines.

I fail to see why people continue to hang bigger and bigger engines in them? You get marginal speed gains and lose handling. The Flash was designed as an aerobatic sport jet, not a speed plane.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: wojtek

All flashes and ultras have potential for skin delamination along the hinge areas . The elevator is especially prone to this problem. Usually this will never manifest itself from flight, however transport and ground handling can attribute to this. In the case of the elevator, a bounded landing , or a nose high landing on rougher surface can cause the elevator horns to get pushed up and peel up the hinge area. Bumping the other surfaces can cause a similar problem. Very few have also claimed they have had surface separation after many flight, however there is a possibility this was also from ''handling'' just went unnoticed for some time. hmm, funny some who have posted here already have had this problem and and posted about it in the past .. All said, the UFlash is my favorite sport jet I have ever flown ... and yes, I have had a delamination issue after hitting a divot on a runway and having my plane bounced .. in the air, the plane will take what you can throw at it ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI&hd=1
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI[/youtube]

~V~
    Nice video, what turbine is in this one?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Definitely put that through its paces...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcand

ORIGINAL: wojtek

All flashes and ultras have potential for skin delamination along the hinge areas . The elevator is especially prone to this problem. Usually this will never manifest itself from flight, however transport and ground handling can attribute to this. In the case of the elevator, a bounded landing , or a nose high landing on rougher surface can cause the elevator horns to get pushed up and peel up the hinge area. Bumping the other surfaces can cause a similar problem. Very few have also claimed they have had surface separation after many flight, however there is a possibility this was also from ''handling'' just went unnoticed for some time. hmm, funny some who have posted here already have had this problem and and posted about it in the past .. All said, the UFlash is my favorite sport jet I have ever flown ... and yes, I have had a delamination issue after hitting a divot on a runway and having my plane bounced .. in the air, the plane will take what you can throw at it ..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI&hd=1
    [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI[/youtube]

~V~
    Nice video, what turbine is in this one?
    thanks .. its a Jet Central Rhino (36 lbs )

~V~
    www.facebook.com/allscale
    http://www.all-scale.com

- working model MFD & HUD, 3D design & printing, CNC, Laser-cutting
    - Professional-Building
    - Metal-Morph Plating
    - CARF-Models Dealer

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0uUNg543iQ

Here is mine with Kingtech 170. Not sure what the top speed is but it has to be approaching 240. (the radar couldn't pick it up) Flew it beside a buddy's New Rookie that was clocked at 222mph and it is considerably faster. If you don't need a "speed plane" like you say, you don't need anything more than a 120. Like the boys have said, one of the new Rabbit 100's or a 100RX would be a great choice. I do find mine has a fair bit or residual thrust but it is easily manageable with a nice long, decent approach and alot of flaps. I normally fly off of 450ft of grass and usually use about 250 ft before she stops. I wouldn't trade my UF for anything....ever. It is worth every penny.

Stratotanker here on RCU makes and sells a wooden stand that is built specifically for the UF...buy one if you haven't already. It is worth every penny (if memory serves, it was right around 100 bones). It makes it soo easy to transport, assemble, disassemble and work on at the field...both upright and inverted. This will prevent any delamination on the rudder or elevator hinges during transport. Like it has been said, the delamination issues are typically user induced.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ramz

Here is mine with Kingtech 170. Not sure what the top speed is but it has to be approaching 240. (the radar couldn't pick it up) Flew it beside a buddy's New Rookie that was clocked at 222mph and it is considerably faster. If you don't need a ''speed plane'' like you say, you don't need anything more than a 120. Like the boys have said, one of the new Rabbit 100's or a 100RX would be a great choice. I do find mine has a fair bit or residual thrust but it is easily manageable with a nice long, decent approach and alot of flaps. I normally fly off of 450ft of grass and usually use about 250 ft before she stops. I wouldn't trade my UF for anything....ever. It is worth every penny.

Stratotanker here on RCU makes and sells a wooden stand that is built specifically for the UF...buy one if you haven't already. It is worth every penny (if memory serves, it was right around 100 bones). It makes it soo easy to transport, assemble, disassemble and work on at the field...both upright and inverted. This will prevent any delamination on the rudder or elevator hinges during transport. Like it has been said, the delamination issues are typically user induced.
    I love my new kangaroo jet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTExWRVGQHA
    It's a hobby - keep it simple

www.332ndredtail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ramz

Here is mine with Kingtech 170. Not sure what the top speed is but it has to be approaching 240. (the radar couldn't pick it up) Flew it beside a buddy's New Rookie that was clocked at 222mph and it is considerably faster. If you don't need a ''speed plane'' like you say, you don't need anything more than a 120. Like the boys have said, one of the new Rabbit 100's or a 100RX would be a great choice. I do find mine has a fair bit or residual thrust but it is easily manageable with a nice long, decent approach and alot of flaps. I normally fly off of 450ft of grass and usually use about 250 ft before she stops. I wouldn't trade my UF for anything....ever. It is worth every penny.

thanks, sounds good

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

thunderbird is available on special order.. I did the conversion that way

With the UF swept wings, versus the CG straight wings, the CG position is some 3 inches further back on the fuselage., so its not a slap a go switch.. I had to shuffle batteries.
    Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Luv2flyrc, I fly mine with a Cheetah, I find it hard to slow up for landing, and end up bouncing the landing. I have a New Rabitt 100 in my Boomerang Elan. I have thought about swapping it into the Ultra to see if the residual thrust is the problem. It just keeps going and going with the Cheetah I find it hard to land without that damn bouncing, I grease the landing and it still gets back up and bounces flying on grass. I only have 7 flights on it and only three landings were good ones, all the rest bounced, I broke gear pins once. Any suggestions my cg is at at the rearward cg reccomended in the manual. Tried 4'' flap no crow, tried , 4'' with crow still fast on landing. Growing fustrated ,Love the way it flys its an awesome sport jet . Everyone says it lands great , I have over 265 flights on the Elan and its simple too land and never bounces. Thanks JAck.
    Jack George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am flying the same setup. Ultra Flash and Cheetah and I had some problems with residual thrust at first but after throwing more Crow into the mix it is no problem now. I am using about 3-3 1/2 inches of flap and 10mm of crow mixed in. This seems to do the trick for me. Also if you have proportional bracking you can set up a little bit of brake mixed in to the flaps to help control the speed and bounce on touch down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jack28

Luv2flyrc, I fly mine with a Cheetah, I find it hard to slow up for landing, and end up bouncing the landing. I have a New Rabitt 100 in my Boomerang Elan. I have thought about swapping it into the Ultra to see if the residual thrust is the problem. It just keeps going and going with the Cheetah I find it hard to land without that damn bouncing, I grease the landing and it still gets back up and bounces flying on grass. I only have 7 flights on it and only three landings were good ones, all the rest bounced, I broke gear pins once. Any suggestions my cg is at at the rearward cg reccomended in the manual. Tried 4'' flap no crow, tried , 4'' with crow still fast on landing. Growing fustrated ,Love the way it flys its an awesome sport jet . Everyone says it lands great , I have over 265 flights on the Elan and its simple too land and never bounces. Thanks JAck.

Try more flap and crow like sailing1 has. I had the same problem with a BVM electra and fixed it with crow, also keep trying to hold it off, like you are trying to stall it as it touches down.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rcand

ORIGINAL: Jack28

Try more flap and crow like sailing1 has. I had the same problem with a BVM electra and fixed it with crow, also keep trying to hold it off, like you are trying to stall it as it touches down.
    I have flown it with a Cheetah as well, it does have more residual thrust and a slower spool down than the Rabbit 100 but, you can still get it down in 150ft. As the other fellows have said, flaps n crow help to dirty it up and bleed off speed. If you are bouncing , you're still coming in too hot. Take it up 3 mistakes high and fly it around slow to get a feel for how slow it will fly.... it will surprise you.

Hope that helps

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks guys I will work on the landing phase, will add more crow and slow the downwind and final legs. Thats a really good idea flying two mistakes high and getting a feel for how slow it will fly.Thanks Again ,Jack
    Jack George

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yup....the bouncing means you are going too fast. I do not use crow but I use all the flap I can get (about 70 degrees) and give it lots of time to slow down. Even with a 170 it will go amazingly slow before it even begins to stall. Give it time to slow down and try it up 3 mistakes high and see what it will do up to and just as it stalls.

What I do that helps is I leave about 50% brake applied before it touches down...then just as the mains touch, pull up the flaps and it will stick to the runway like ***** to a wool blanket. I control my flaps with one slider and my brakes with the other. It can be a busy sequence at first but once you get used to it, it works great for short strips.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Have been reading all threads about the Ultra flash, but I need more info about it flying with a rabbit 100. I have a rabbit 100 waiting for a new jet, I am leaning towards the ultra flash. For those of you who have flown or are flying one with a rabbit 100 or equal thrust turbine how does it fly? Is it enough to fly fast and comfortable?

thanks a lot!
    Vic
    SM Viper 2M with JC Cheetah/SM F-86 with JC Rabbit 100

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Read the big build thread for way more info, Flashes run from 80 to 180 size turbines...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Fury, the Rabbit has more than enough power to fly the ultra flash comfortably. I have mine set up with a p-90rxi with the main tank plus two saddle tanks and a smoke tank. Flight time is over 7 minutes with easily over 150 mph straight and level and good vertical performance. Landing is a breeze on a 500 long by 30ft wide concrete runway. I guess it just all depends on if you want insane performance by using a twice the power in which it was designed fly. Sooner or later delamination or a catastrophic failure will surely follow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I think the optimal range is from an 80 to a 160. I get 9min with my p120sx flash and 7 min with my rhino powered ultra flash

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by KFX450 View Post
    Why did they get rid of the classic flash?? I love the look in the thunderbirds scheme with the wingtips..Just my taste, but it stinks its not available..Anyone know???
    I assume demand. With that said, the UF flies much much better.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by The Great Squintini View Post
    Fury, the Rabbit has more than enough power to fly the ultra flash comfortably. I have mine set up with a p-90rxi with the main tank plus two saddle tanks and a smoke tank. Flight time is over 7 minutes with easily over 150 mph straight and level and good vertical performance. Landing is a breeze on a 500 long by 30ft wide concrete runway. I guess it just all depends on if you want insane performance by using a twice the power in which it was designed fly. Sooner or later delamination or a catastrophic failure will surely follow
    Not true. I've got a P-160 in my UF and after 170+ flights it's as good as new. Amazing machine really.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flash ultra with details4.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	1967407
    Last edited by mitchilito; 02-10-2014 at 06:16 PM.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I had 383 flights on mine (evoJet 160 RX) without a single issue, and I flew it like I stole it. It took a mid-air to take her out!
    Dave Bottita
    evoJet Factory Pilot
    Smart-Fly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    just re-acquired one of my 2 old Flashes in the Jolly Roger scheme, will be converting to the Ultra wings. that being said, my old T bird, 2 posts up had tons of flights with no issues and the second is in the 400 plus rage and still takin the big block abuse.

Kevin

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You know I really loved my old Classic Flash with a Jet Central Rabbit in it. Really great flyer and with my modified tank could fly a full 10 minutes with a couple minutes reserve. Then I put the Cheetah in the plane and it was still fun but harder to land due to residual thrust. Faster than OMG thought. Then converted to Ultra Flash and still a great plane and still fast. Loved both but somehow long for the old Rabbit powered Classic. Anyone out there got a Flash Fuse that want part with? What could be better than a Classic and an Ultra?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12