Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Question for P100-RX Owners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Question for P100-RX Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 02:31 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Question for P100-RX Owners

ORIGINAL: Jetkopter

Bob told me they have a fixture and a tool to re-pitch the wheel.

Well maybe so, but I don't think I would want to be around anything that has been cast manufactured and then re-anything'd, turning 100,000+ rpm !!! I am certainly not an expert on metallurgy, but that doesn't sound like that would be a good idea. When I was young and mentally challenged, I tried to re-pitch blades on an oscillating fan in my garage to get more air.. It worked for about 10 minutes and that baby came all from together and consumed itself in seconds and made one hell of a racket !!!! Needless to say, I bought a bigger fan.

Danno
Old 08-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must have been a jet joe fan
Old 08-20-2012, 12:10 PM
Jeffpro

I wanted to provide a follow-up in case anyone is interested.

I finally got my BobCat back in the air this weekend at Georgia Jets. The P100-RX performed flawlessly. I had the Idle Throttle Response set to Very Slow, but the throttle response was more than adequate. I could push the throttle stick forward and get some response almost immediately. In fact, I couldn't tell any difference in the throttle response between the 100 and the other JetCat turbines I own.

In cooler weather, I may increase the ITR to Slow or Norm, but I'm happy with the turbine as is even if I don't change the ITR.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:23 PM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I have a new one in the box, I hope all is well with it. I had to set that Idol response to slow in my P20-SX to get it is continue to run upon return to Idol. Otherwise the rpm would drop to low and it would shut down. It has been hot and Humid here as well.

I Know But have you tried new fuel mix? Might have had moisture from your source.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:54 PM
Jeffpro

Yep. Just to be sure, I mixed up a fresh batch of fuel from a different source while I was doing my testing. Several people (including Bob Wilcox) opined that water in the fuel wouldn't produce the same results anyway.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM
rshadroui
My Feedback: (10)

I am a new owner of a P-100 so I have been reading all your posts on the problen with the engine. I have only one flight on the engine with it set to verry slow and had no problems.I am far from an expert on the engine but I have an adea on the re doing the pitch of the turbine blades.
If you look at the intake turbine the blades they are cast and canot be bent or adjusted. But if you look at the blades at the rear of the engine the blades do not appear to be cast. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE STAMPED OUT OF HIGH TEMP STEEL. I bleave these are the blades they are talking about adjusting the pitch so to increas the air flow into the engine.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:-(
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM
rshadroui

bcovish: If you can't adjust the blades at the rear of the engine and you can't adjust the intake blades because they are cast out of alum what are they talking about.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I would like to comment that my P100 flew awesome right out of the box. Ill admit that I never even looked at the settings as the motor ran perfect.
It was freaking hot too!! 105 degrees heat!
at least 20 perfect flight in 4 days.
awesome motor! tons of power!!
Scott
Old 09-17-2012, 09:21 AM
GSR
My Feedback: (145)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rshadroui

I am a new owner of a P-100 so I have been reading all your posts on the problen with the engine. I have only one flight on the engine with it set to verry slow and had no problems.I am far from an expert on the engine but I have an adea on the re doing the pitch of the turbine blades.
If you look at the intake turbine the blades they are cast and canot be bent or adjusted. But if you look at the blades at the rear of the engine the blades do not appear to be cast. THEY LOOK LIKE THEY ARE STAMPED OUT OF HIGH TEMP STEEL. I bleave these are the blades they are talking about adjusting the pitch so to increas the air flow into the engine.
P100 101. The front component is generally called the "compressor" and on the 100 is milled from a stock of billet on a 5 axis CNC machine. Most all compressors are done this way now. They used to use auto turbocharger blanks that were cast. The back is called the turbine wheel and that is high pressure casting made from Inconel. There is no way to adjust the turbine blades outside of milling them and I doubt very seriously that you could bend the compressor blades without weakening them. S
Old 09-18-2012, 05:30 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Old 09-18-2012, 03:29 PM
Jeffpro

Before I heard it straight from Bob Wilcox, I wouldn't have believed they were modifying the turbine blades, either. But they are...the turbine blades, not the compressor blades.

When I sent my first P100-RX back, they reduced the angle of the turbine blades to create more compression in the can. I asked them how they did it and they told me they have a jig for doing it. More recently, Bob said that JetCat Germany has designed more sophisticated tooling for closing down the blades and that he'll be using it instead of the jig he's using now. He also told me that JetCat Germany has issued a new software update (new as of a couple of weeks ago) for the P100-RX ECU designed to help alleviate acceleration problems and startup problems. (On my 100, I often have to hold down the Manual button on the GSU on startup, or else it exceeds the time allotted for a clean start and shuts down just seconds before the startup sequence is complete.)

Bottom line is that some P100-RXs work just great out of the box, and others spit and sputter and shut down when you give them fuel. The solution for the "bad" ones is to close down the turbine blades, even though it didn't seem to make a difference in mine. Clearly JetCat is trying to work out these issues, and one wonders if they released the 100 too early. But the customer service has been great, and I expect that eventually, the problems will be worked out and I won't have to hold down the Manual button or tweak the throttle response to get a clean run. But boy, would I love to have one of those 100s that *just works*.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Guillermo Ibanez

Come on guys:

I just paid to BVM for a brand new P-100 but I stopped the order because JetCat is about to release the P90-RXi with 1 lb., more thrust. (See jetpower thread)

But I see that the P90 weight is 1450 grs. including the pump and the P-100 is 1050 grs without including the pump, although the pump weight no more than 50 grs.

So, it appears that the one more lb of thrust of the P90 is not worthy as compared wtih the weight reduction on the P-100

But now, with all the issues I have read on the P-100, I am afraid to get one.

I leave in Colombia, (the north part of South AMerica) and here is very hot from April to mid December

Any suggestion?
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 PM
Jeffpro

As far as I can tell, most of the P100-RXs are fine. Several people reported in this thread and others that it works perfectly for them like every other JetCat. But the two I've had...the first one, and the one that JetCat replaced it with...will only accelerate if you set the Idle Throttle Response to Very Slow. At least a few other people have reported the same thing here on RCU. So, it seems to be a bit of a crap shoot. Chances are you'll get one of the good ones, but there is a chance you'll get one that won't run with the factory default settings.

I have a brand new P140-RX in the box that'll be going in a new jet this fall. As far as I know, no one is reporting similar problems with the 140 or the 180.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:24 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought a few were being cranky in hot temps and they just had to be set to slow or very slow to fix and that setting wasnt really noticable anyway?
Scott
Old 09-19-2012, 02:00 AM
lxfly

After 30 flights, had the problem with my P100 in mid of July and engine didn't spool up even with "very slow" setting sometimes.
As I was end of July at Müllheim/Germany Ipassed at the Jetcat plant and they worked on my turbine for about an hour;since then the engine is running flawlessly.
Some P100 have this problem at hotter weather, so send it back to Jetcat, it's no big problem and they will fix it.

Quote Guillermo: "So, it appears that the one more lb of thrust of the P90 is not worthy as compared wtih the weight reduction on the P-100"

They are two different engines: P100 less weight and producing max thrust at 154000 rpm, P90i, more weight but simply to handle for beginners(1 fuel tube , 1 electric cable to the turbine) and maxthrust at 130000 and more quiet.
My P100 was running at 35° with no problem.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:47 AM
Jeffpro

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

I thought a few were being cranky in hot temps and they just had to be set to slow or very slow to fix and that setting wasnt really noticable anyway?
Scott
That's basically true. Most seem to work fine under any conditions; I was just unlucky enough to get two that won't run on anything but Very Slow. The P100-RX's acceleration from idle to full with ITR set to Very Slow is about 8 seconds, which is in line with some of the older JetCat turbines. Bob Wilcox told me that the ITR setting doesn't affect response time very much, but I have nothing to compare to because neither of my 100s would take fuel on Slow, Normal, or Fast.

When I sent my first one back and JetCat changed the angle of the turbine blades, nothing much changed because it would still only run with ITR set to Very Slow. However, remember that JetCat has issued another ECU update to address this issue and is also building better tooling to close down the blades on turbines that exhibit this problem. JetCat USA doesn't have that tooling yet (at least they didn't when I last talked to Bob a couple of weeks ago), but when they do, I'll send my second 100 back to see if they can fix it. I would love to see how it performs with ITR set to Normal or Fast. With cooler autumn temperatures approaching, maybe I'll be able to.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:51 AM
VF84sluggo
My Feedback: (55)

Man...I need a turbine for my Elan and was going to get one of these TODAY! Now, I'm not so sure. Maybe I'll look at the Rabbit again, or the new K-100G.

Just when I was sold on the P100RX....
Old 10-17-2012, 09:54 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Nothing to worry about...

Dw
Old 12-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Dan1978

I'm a little bit surprised that some of the P100s behave so much differently than all the rest, assuming that all other variables are the same (fuel, ECU programming, etc). I would think that with the precision that the parts are made to, there wouldn't be ANY P100s that have this problem or act any differently than the rest. The only time I'd expect to see problems like this is if there's an actual manufacturing flaw in that particular unit. It makes me think the tolerances aren't as well controlled as I once thought. Maybe it's just that, from an economic perspective, tolerances can't be held any tighter without cost going through the roof.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Dan1978

Another question for P100-RX owners.
I have 10 gals of JET-A which has already been mixed with 5% white gas for a different turbine which I'm not running any longer. Does anyone know if it would be ok to go ahead and add turbine oil to this fuel and use it for the P100? Might the 5% white gas do any harm to the engine? Thanks.
Dan
Old 12-01-2012, 08:07 PM
rshadroui

Sounds like a good question for Bob at Jet Cat
Old 12-01-2012, 08:35 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The first GWM turbines ran Coleman fuel mix and I guess it runs hotter.

For 10 gallons I would not do it and just run the factory recommended mix.
Old 12-02-2012, 11:23 AM
Dan1978

Thanks guys, I better give Bob a call.  Matt, you're right, the fuel WAS for a Golden West engine.
Dan
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM
haisanjafri

Dear Friends,

Went through all the thread. Using this new P 100 RX fitted in TD Futura 1.9m. First 5 flights were done in February/March when the temperatures were not above 25 degree C. Recently on 6th flight (8th April / Temp was around 37 degree C) the turbine flame out right after 1 minute of take off. Here is the video link if you use facebook:-http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=2&theater

Again refueled from same sotrage can and did 7th flight and it ran perfectly, though I kept the aircraft on a safe height. I checked the ECU after flame out and it was showing "LOW RPM". Now after reading this thread I am thinking about the reasons of that flame out!!! Could it be the hot and rising temperatures of our region but humidity level was 48% on that day. In next month of May June July its will cross 45 degree C. Do I need to set the Idle Throttle Response to very slow? Because I also checked the powerbox display and there was ZERO failsafe value after the flame out.

Regards,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.