Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futaba 14 question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futaba 14 question

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 04:11 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Futaba 14 question

I'm about to start my new Kingtech K-80 turbine. I'm an old JR guy so please be gentle on me. I understand that the throttle channel has to be reversed for the ECU to work properly with a Futaba radio.

Do you use servo reverse or hardware reverse? Also I need to set up a kill switch instead of a trim to turn the turbine off. How much offset is required?
Thanks again for all the help.

Peter D
Old 08-09-2012, 04:23 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 14 question

SERVO REVERSE is what you need, not sure about how much offset you need for a kill switch
Old 08-09-2012, 04:27 PM
powerjets
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use hardware reverse on channel 3, also dont forget to reverse the trim in here as well, if using the hardware option
Old 08-09-2012, 05:01 PM
David Searles
My Feedback: (49)

Peter,

Simplest answer is just use servo reverse and it's done. No other adjustments then need to be made.

David S
Old 08-09-2012, 05:03 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

+1
ORIGINAL: David Searles

Peter,

Simplest answer is just use servo reverse and it's done. No other adjustments then need to be made.

David S
Old 08-09-2012, 07:03 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Peter,

Agree, use servo reverse, not hardware reverse.

On my 14MZ, I set the slider next to the throttle (it's on the left of the stick) to be the trim for the throttle channel (called J3). You can do that swap on the function menu, on the linkage screen.

When inside the function screen, press the trim box next to the "throttle" box .. that brings up the menu where you can use the "Sel H/W" option to select LS. That box will probably be labeled T3, the name of the digital trim that is the default for J3 (throttle).

When you do this swap, you have an analog trim, like the JR units do (which I think is a nice feature).

Depending on how much difference the Kingtech wants to see from low throttle to off, you may need to increase the trim rate, also available on the function menu. Once in the function menu, press the trim box (which should now say "LS"), I have mine set to -20%. FYI, I have "trim mode" set to ATL and "ATL reverse" set to "Norm" (I believe these are the defaults). Also FYI, my ATV settings for throttle are 100% (on the left/up side) and 82% on the right/down side. This gives almost exactly +/- 100% travel with the full stick and trim motion.

You can inspect the setup using the servo monitor menu as a double check before "learning" the ECU.

Don't forget to go to the failsafe menu and set the failsafe properly .. simple way is to go again to the linkage screen, then select the Fail Safe menu, on the throttle channel change it from Hold to F/S (failsafe) .. then take the throttle and trim to full down, and press the F/S position button .. that will set the failsafe position turn the turbine off in the event of a failsafe. If you want to get fancy, you can use the ATV to set the failsafe far "below" low throttle which will register as a failsafe command to the ECU, and be displayed as such. Then set the ATV back to the previous position once ATV is set. Most people just set it to to off position (low stick and low trim). Your call.

Hope this helps
Dave McQ
Old 08-09-2012, 07:29 PM
Gary Arthur
My Feedback: (29)

Servo reverse and use throttle cut for your kill....Simple
Old 08-09-2012, 11:48 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Agree with others who say "servo reverse"

For kill switch I use T6 rather than a two position switch. I want to make certain that it isn't a switch I might bump accidentally under and circumstances !!
Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 AM
Jgwright

Peter

As others suggested just use the servo reverse menu in the Tx and set the fail safe afterwards, very simple. Avoid using hardware switches.

When using the T3 trim to switch off the engine you will find that there are rather a large number of steps so it can take a while. Fortunately Futaba thought of this and the number of steps can be reduced by going to the T1-T6 setting menu and increasing the step on T3 from the default 4 to say 40. You can try the effect moving the trim while in the T1-T6 settings menu.

John
Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 AM
Jgwright

Peter

As others suggested just use the servo reverse menu in the Tx and set the fail safe afterwards, very simple. Avoid using hardware switches.

When using the T3 trim to switch off the engine you will find that there are rather a large number of steps so it can take a while. Fortunately Futaba thought of this and the number of steps can be reduced by going to the T1-T6 setting menu and increasing the step on T3 from the default 4 to say 40. You can try the effect moving the trim while in the T1-T6 settings menu.

John
Old 08-10-2012, 12:54 AM
Bob_B

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Good point Jon I suggest changing the trim step value to 200
Old 08-10-2012, 07:59 AM
RC_MAN

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts