Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra flash or Bandit

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra flash or Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 09:54 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ultra flash or Bandit

The question has to be asked. Why on earth would you put a 40 lb (P 180) power plant, in an air frame designed for 20lbs? (BVMs website, recommended engine thrust for the BARF and Super Bandit is 12-20 lbs). When I built my Super, BV advised me that a P-120 was the maximum power plant for this model..

I realise that this is a contentious issue here on RCU, and am aware that a lot of people successfully over power their models, and do not have issue. But a 180 in a Bandit is well outside the manufacturers recommendation, and you should not be surprised if you have a problem with this combination..

On the original post, the UF and the Bandit are both very good air frames. I prefer the Bandit as I think it is more aerodynamically efficient. It has full gear doors and area ruled ducting. I have not flown an UF.

Roger
Old 08-19-2012, 10:00 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The Bandit is a lot better looking of a plane .. it has that great aggressive aerodynamic look. The Flash looks ok, but its more of a pattern plane rounded out look ... take some give some ...

~V~
Old 08-19-2012, 10:04 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: wojtek

The Bandit is a lot better looking of a plane .. it has that great aggressive aerodynamic look. The Flash looks ok, but its more of a pattern plane rounded out look ... take some give some ...

~V~

This is one dimension that the Bandit wins hands down IMO.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:50 AM
Steve Moore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I personally haven't flown a bandit, but friends who have them are very impressed overall, i think the bandit does have the edge with the speed and construction, but i think it depends on how much you want to spend on a model. I have an Ultra Flash with a jetcat 160, and it has to be the best all round model in my opinion especially when you look at the cost to put it in the air, some would say its construction isn't as solid as the bandit (but i have heard of several people having issues with BARF U/C plates). you can fly the Ultra Flash pretty hard and it comes back for more, it would be nice to see a bigger variety of stock colours from CARF though.

Here is video of my Ultra Flash, full speed pass is at approx 2 minutes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77BIV7Wvxr4
Old 08-21-2012, 04:24 AM
jonkoppisch
My Feedback: (162)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend has both the classic flash and bandit. He said the biggest thing he noticed was that the bandit landed slower and easier than the flash.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:51 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I appreciate everyones response. Thats why I like posting things like this. When its civil, you get a lot of good advice from experienced people..Thank You
Old 08-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: KFX450

Wow, I appreciate everyones response. Thats why I like posting things like this. When its civil, you get a lot of good advice from experienced people..Thank You
didn't you build a Bandit MKII a few months back?
Old 08-23-2012, 04:39 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: jonkoppisch

A friend has both the classic flash and bandit. He said the biggest thing he noticed was that the bandit landed slower and easier than the flash.
This WAS my experience as well, but have not flown the UF, so I'm not sure the same comparison can be made without flying it. I'm sure you can't go wrong with either and will come down to personal preference.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:12 AM
Pat Barnes

Bandit for me! Better looking! [8D]
Old 08-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

I've built and flown Flash and Ultra Flash, Composite Super Bandit and Bandit ARF...All four are still flying. They are all completely different aeroplanes, none bad. The Flashes are both more lively in pitch (elevator) and need mixes or tweaks in drag mode for landing. The Bandits need no flap mixes and will let you know if they are too slow on landing as the elevator stops having affect! All except the Classic Flash need to land without too much vertical speed (descent) and the UF and BARF lower wing loading means not to fast or they will still be flying (skippy time)
Each will suit a different pilots feel, but all can be mastered easily with a little thought, personally I like them all for different reasons, but as an all-round model I'd have an Ultra Flash if I had to have just one...Price, bullet proof, flying-its a winner.

Dw
Old 08-23-2012, 09:20 AM
KFX450

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

I did, Never got to fly it. Sold it like an idiot, I had my reasons at the time then realized I shouldn't have..
Old 08-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kenrico

I did, Never got to fly it. Sold it like an idiot, I had my reasons at the time then realized I shouldn't have..
yeah i remember you posting photos of the build. I own a Bandit with a p80SE in it and have flown a Classic Flash two times with a P120SX, I cant really give an opinion between the two, but the short time that i have own the bandit ( about 20 flights ) its one true precise flying airplane, the C.Flash felt very much the same but again with only two flights i cant really give and evaluation on that. one thing to consider is transportation, the bandit breaks down smaller with the two wings, the flash is a one piece wing that for some people like me is harder to transport but its on the wining side of field assembly time compared to the original B-ARF, if you get a B-ARF MKII like you had then i think you would very close in field assembly time to the flash.

hope that helps with your decision.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Andrew Bird

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

I've built and flown Flash and Ultra Flash, Composite Super Bandit and Bandit ARF...All four are still flying. They are all completely different aeroplanes, none bad. The Flashes are both more lively in pitch (elevator) and need mixes or tweaks in drag mode for landing. The Bandits need no flap mixes and will let you know if they are too slow on landing as the elevator stops having affect! All except the Classic Flash need to land without too much vertical speed (descent) and the UF and BARF lower wing loading means not to fast or they will still be flying (skippy time)
Each will suit a different pilots feel, but all can be mastered easily with a little thought, personally I like them all for different reasons, but as an all-round model I'd have an Ultra Flash if I had to have just one...Price, bullet proof, flying-its a winner.

Dw

And I'm the lucky owner of Dave's old BARF I put a P100 in it and have to say the low speed handling is exceptional and it's a great aerobatic aircraft. I fly with some guys with UF's and with a 120 (let alone a 160) they are faster than my P100 BARF and overall seem to be really strong and robust. My BARF seems to handle low speed better and is more neutral when the flaps are down. Seems like both are great options just do some things better and other things worse than each other.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:38 PM
KFX450

Thanks guys, seems like its a " 6 in one and half dozen in the other" But the service I have been getting from Harley Condra and the service in the past from everyone at BVM seems to be the tipping point. I have never owned a CARF, and can't comment on their service, but theres nothing like needing a part, just making a call and BV ships it right out..Please feel free to post away on this thread..I think its good to have comparisons on similar planes. Helps a lot..
Old 08-23-2012, 06:11 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

And you get a wonderful selection of color and schemes.
I used to think that the cockpit was a little tight, but now with e=retracts, and solenoids in the jet, and S-bus, there is more room than ever.
John
Old 08-23-2012, 09:57 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

You won't beat BVM's back up on parts...The two companies use completely different business models and part of BVM's higher prices is the service they can offer.

Dw
Old 08-24-2012, 05:17 PM
rcand

I'm thinking of my next winter project and I'm trying to decide between the two. I had my heart set on a bandit but I was just watching an ultra flash and it made me think twice. Price point being a really good factor. Don't want to start anything here but would like to hear from people on thoughts. I find this a good place to sway my decision. Would like to hear from some people that have flown both. Thanks in advance.
I have built and flown many bandits except the Ultra and now building an Ultra Flash. When it comes to building, the Bandit is hands down over the UF. Both fly great