Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra Flash - Savox

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra Flash - Savox

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Bed time

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Flash - Savox

Hi guys

Just wondering if any of you UF owners have used the Savox 1256TG/1258TG's on your airframes?? I'm looking at installing the 1256's on the flaps/Nose wheel and 1258's on the Ailerons/ Elevators.

Thanks in advance.

Alex
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Ultra Flash - Savox

You can't go wrong with them Alex, I'm using them on everything,
Gary.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:07 PM
Bed time

I was just about to send you a PM about them as I remember you saying something about them

Do you use those very servos? or do you use the higher torque ones?

Thanks mate!
Old 08-21-2012, 12:25 PM
Geoff White

Patience Alex,

Phil Greeno has recently test flown a UF that I think had all savox servos installed. I am sure he will be along soon and will chime in.
Me personally, I am a JR servo man through and through so can't help.

Geoff.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:35 PM
Bed time

Awesome thanks Geoff! I will wait to see what Phil say's

Talk soon

Alex
Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

1256's, they are the highest torque unless you go to 7.4 volts.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:03 PM
Bed time

I was just thinking of going the 58's as they're pretty quick (They can go on Rudder,Aileron and Elevators) then use the higher torque ones on the nose wheel and Flaps.

They're both the same price at the servo shop so no realy difference.

Thanks for the help though!
Old 08-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

JR 8715 12kg and 0,09 sec £59.95! ....

Old 08-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Bed time

Hi Dave

Would they be ok to go all round on the UF?

Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Jame

Sorry Al, can't comment on Savox as I've used Hitec 7955TG on our Classic and Ultra, but if it's any help, I think Al used 8411 (11KG) around on his 160SX powered UF and they hold up very well, if it were me I would try and go as higher torque as possible but again, Al has demonstrated many a time that an 8411 is easily adequate, I'm sure Dave's suggestion would also be a good option, not that we would ever do this today, but sometimes I think servo torque per surface is massively overrated, some of the old ducted fan airframes of the 90's (Jim Fox / Trim Aircraft) used a Futaba 3001 [&:] Still beats me how they held up in the old Pampa Speed Runs of 200 - 210mph

Jame
Old 08-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Bed time

Hi Jame!

Yeah I was going to put 7955's on the UF but I need them for another airframe which needs high torque servos.

The manual recommends over 8kg servos so either the savox or JR's will be fine, I was more worried about the Savox's fitting in the UF.

Thanks

Alex

Old 08-21-2012, 09:36 PM
Dave Wilshere

Alex

Won't fit in the tailplane as its a 20.5mm servo in the 8711 case. You will need two 19mm servos like the 8411.

Jame

Yes, I remember hanging on the elevator waiting for the blow back to reduce so I could get full elevator on many DF models!

Dw
Old 08-22-2012, 02:03 AM
3dean

not sure id want fast servos in a jet,wouldnt it compromise smoothness?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM
Dave Wilshere

UH!

Expo sorts out any speed issues between eyes, brain and fingers...
Old 08-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Jame

There was a very small tolerance on the 19mm Servo Sizing in the Stab on our UF, this may have just been a chance encounter (maybe a slightly thinner lay if that's possible), we were about to buy 8411's for the Tail, before noticing the 7955TG would fit but without deforming the Skin or Nomex (forgive the spelling if it's incorrect) but it was a tight squeeze.

I bet Dave, it's strange to think that now we have 1Kg of torque for every pound the plane weighs, back then they barely had enough torque to cover the weight on the engine and fan unit alone
Old 08-22-2012, 04:23 AM
hymie42

Hi Guys,

I wrote a Servo Torque Calculator some time back based on what I found on the web. Cant claim credit for the calculations, just the interface. Windows program - can be downloaded from [link=http://www.plasmanetwork.co.uk/ServoTorque/ServoTorque.zip]Servo Torque Calculator[/link]

Hymie
Old 08-22-2012, 04:58 AM
3dean

expo ?? but why not buy the right servo in the first place to achieve a smooth consistant linear feel??
i agree , a touch of expo is common place but hi speed servos in a jet,for me , would be a wrong move
Old 08-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

Dean

Funny, I have recently flown a CARF Hawk with my model memory set-up (my model has 8711 and 8411) fitted with JR8715 servos and to be honest it flew just like mine! More difference from it being a different model...

Dw
Old 08-22-2012, 09:41 AM
3dean

hmm good findings ,shall keep it in mind

deano
Old 08-22-2012, 10:14 AM
Dave Wilshere

Dean

Generally flying jets you are moving the sticks smoothly and even slowly? so don't see reason why fast servos would be an issue. I guess the usual game of long arms and weighty surfaces might get into the 3-D model "buzzing" surface situation on some models...but generally-nope. Actually thinking about it I sold quite a few JR8915 (same-with metal centre case) to a guy who flys Boomerangs and he's happy as larry!

Dave
Old 08-22-2012, 10:29 AM
3dean

hmm interesting , ive stayed away from some of the faster servos i have on the shelf,8711 and 8911 have been the choice so far with good results, in future i'l give them a try,my worry is extreme xpo as i hate it..

deano
Old 08-22-2012, 10:32 AM
hymie42

I use Savox on all my jets now - F16 1/8, ViperJet, F15 and am really happy with them.

As Dave says you move the sticks slowly

With JR radios you can always slow the servo speed programatically if you want.

Oh, and I use around 25% expo.

Dave
Old 08-22-2012, 10:45 PM
PHIL GREENO

Yes I use a mix or JR andSavox or rather Savox built Spektrum servos in my UF and my previous Classic Flash with no problems.

As Dave has stated it is best to use 2 x JR8411's for the elevator on the Flash as you need a servo with a max thickness of 19mm to fit.

It is well known that Savox make Align and Spektrum servos as well as selling them now under their own name.In my Flash i use the Spektrum S6030(savox sa1256) on aileron and flaps.The S6030 is an excellent servo,digital,coreless,titanium/alloy gearbox 20kg torque and very reliable 4096 bit resolution.On rudder and nose leg i use Spektrum S6020,this is a digital metal geared standard size servo with 10.5kg of torque and cost less than £30.00 and is more than enough for the job.The only reason I use the Spektrum version of Savox servos is I like JR heavy duty nylon servo output arms that most of us use and the Spektrum servos have the JRoutput spline.

My overall impression of Savox servos is that they are very well built and very reliable with a high spec very accurate with excellent centering.Savox servos are built to be abused and are probably the most popular servos for 3D helis and off road nitro buggys/trucks where they get hammered but keep working.By comparison we treat our servos with kid gloves( no vibration,small movements etc) it is only the flap and nose leg servo that could be sressed under a poor set up,in fact i have heard of a few cases of burnt out digital nose leg servos recently of different makes including JR. Some prefer an anologue servo on the nose leg just in case there is a jam or lock stressing the servo. One cause is because after you finish a flight and taxi back and turn off you can often knock/move the nose wheel way off center as you move the model around then have a chat /cup of tea before your next flight,when you switch on the nose leg servo tries to centre but in some cases cant as there is too much friction/drag on the wheel especially on a grass strip,this is no problem is you get started quickly but if you have an aborted start or other problem and the radio is on for several minutes you could burn out a digital servo that is stalled.I always switch on then push down on the fin to lift the nose off the ground to centre the servo first.This might seem obvious but a digital nose leg servo burnt out on a guys jet only a few months ago at a flying site i was at for just that reason.Had two aborted starts and other problems and when he eventually got the turbine started went to taxi out and no sterring,steering servo was red hot!!!!!

Phil.