Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

View Poll Results: A poll

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Land with the left main gear down right main up and nose wheel up

3 5.00%
  • Land with the nose gear and left main gear down and right main gear up

57 95.00%

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gear Problem on Landing What Would You Do????

This happened to me yesterday with my Feiboa F9F and I am curious on what most of you would do in the following situation.

Situation:

Just after take off I hit the gear switch and to my dismay, my nose gear went up and my right main went up, but my left main was stuck in the down position. Once I realized the problem I hit the gear down switch, now I have my nose gear down and my left main still down, but the right main gear was stuck in the up position.

Yes, I cycled the gear before the flight without any problems, and I tried various maneuvers to try to get the right gear to come down.

Here are the choices?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Gear Problem on Landing What Would You Do????

Better land with 2 wheels down and hopefully only scrape a wing tip.
    And if available head it on the grass for virtually no damage!
    Mauri

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I have to butt in here and say that I was there when this problem happened. And I was really impressed how you handled it. He came in a little hotter than I think I would have then like a miracle he barely touched the left side main down which caused just enough of a bump that the right side bacame unstuck at the last millisecond and shot down just as the bird settled on the nose and mains. Good job! I thought you should hit Las Vegas on you're way home while you're luck is still hot!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I don't know what gear you have, but it sounds like the gear is not unlocking to transition up/down... I have had to grind the "Cams" in the gear frames to get them to work sometimes... The cam hump it too aggressive for the guide pins to over come.... Just a thought..

Danno

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've seen this before - a few times at jet rallies with other guys and it's also happened to me. Sometimes a bump and go on as many gear that will stay down as possible will cause the reticent gear to snap down into position and then you are happily on your way up into the return circuit/pattern to land. Trying to convert the "bump and go" into an immediate landing with the sudden good fortune of having 3 down and locked "can" be a recipe for a kangaroo hop and long landing + over run and tearing out all three gear from the plates/rails on a short club field!! But not always, seems like the above example was carefully executed this way (nice work!!) There may be the option to go around and take a bow after a perfect approach and landing.

If the bump and go doesn't work I've seen two follow on techniques. The first is to land with as much gear up as possible in the grass. This usually results in a cartwheel or sudden deceleration and severe damage to the airframe. Bad juju.

The much better alternative is to land on the center line, or far side of the runway if you have thought this out quickly and efficiently with your spotter considering wind, touchdown spot and configuration. Touch down as slow as possible and keep her flying with aileron and elevator to set down in a controlled manner, and allow the airframe drag and scraping to pull the jet off the side at a much slower speed. If you have an asymmetric main gear down situation, applying brakes can equalize the drag enough to stop straight ahead without a sudden stop on the side of the runway. Just don't apply too much brakes and slide off the opposite side of the runway. Land down field of any possible excursion into the viewing or pit areas - last thing we need is a disabled plane plowing into populated areas on the side of the runway. Resultant damage can usually be fixed in minutes and even less if you have wing tip skids. If you can shut down the turbine in the flair or after touchdown you won't ingest FOD and can eliminate the chance of a grass fire from exhaust on flammable matter or a broken fuel line with a pump blasting away trying to keep the engine running if the plane comes to a sudden stop and is damaged.
    Eddie P - NOT sponsored - I pay the bills of hobby manufacturers with my purchases - Free to evaluate products honestly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PS a short nicely mowed and rolled grass strip is what I consider a "runway" too if you aren't on a paved strip. What get's guys in trouble from what I've seen is landing in unprepared grass and weeds on the side of a paved runway thinking that would be more desirable than a paved strip. I've seen that very get ugly. A long slide and slow deceleration even with gouges and scratches to the finish is always better than a soft surface that will grab and tear at the big airfame parts at high speeds.
    Eddie P - NOT sponsored - I pay the bills of hobby manufacturers with my purchases - Free to evaluate products honestly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, landing on two is better than one. My suggestion would be fly the plane till your normal landing time to burn off the extra fuel load and lighten the plane then put if right down he center line of the runway just like a normal landing. I would also shut the turbine down on final but only if you are comfortable with doing so.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This is what I did, at the 5:45 in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4iR...eature=related

Jim Hiller

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sometimes you just need a little luck, check out Andreas Gietz with his Corsair (@4m20s)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0DKYvu5DrM

Regards, Bart.
    Diest Model Club / Team Harofly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I saw this happen with a large skymaster A-10. I'll tell you what Dustin Beuscher did on the hard deck. He came in like he was going to land. Touched down on the one main gear a did a touch and go (bounce and go) the other main droped, full throttle go around and then greased it in next approach with all three down. Not one scrape, It was the second flight on a A-10 that he was flying for Greg Foushi. I would say that was one of the slickest moves I have ever seen. Greg was still smilling after!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ig11842.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	1793519  
    \"To Gen. Jimmy Doolittle, you would have enjoyed this airplane and it would have enjoyed you -\"
    Chuck Yeager

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for all the comments and especially the video, I followed every ones advice however in the heat of the moment I am always trying to out guess myself. lucky for me we were out on the Bonneville Salt Flats so my landing strip was almost a mile long. I hit a little hard on the left gear which freed the right gear and it dropped down in the nick of time to make a safe roll out.

Thanks Again