Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

EA-18G Growler Maiden Video

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

EA-18G Growler Maiden Video

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 08:41 AM
k_sonn
My Feedback: (32)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EA-18G Growler Maiden Video

One of my flying buddies took a BVM F-18 Super Hornet kit and modified into an EA-18GGrowler and painted it in the VAQ 141 Shadowhawks scheme.

Kirk

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkQ3hQ1onhU[/youtube]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30340.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	1793284  
Old 08-19-2012, 11:16 AM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: EA-18G Growler Maiden Video

I have two questions, when did BVM make a F-18 kit? and whats a EA growler vs a super hornet? Just curious never heard of that before.

Nice F-18 looks good
Old 08-19-2012, 11:38 AM
weasel33

http://www.naval-technology.com/proj...a-18g-growler/

http://www.bvmjets.com/Pages/XtremeJets/F-18F.htm
Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 AM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

I have two questions, when did BVM make a F-18 kit? and whats a EA growler vs a super hornet? Just curious never heard of that before.

Nice F-18 looks good
The EA-18G Growler is the replacement for the EA-6B Prowler. The first squadron to accept the EA-18G was VAQ-129 stationed up here in the Pacific Northwest at NASWhidbey Island. That was in 2008. We fly our RC jets at theNAS Whidbey Island Out Lying Field (OLF) where the EA-18G practices carrier landings. By the way, this is the same place where Jets Over Whidbey will take place.

Fender, you really are a newbie to RC jets . BVM and Tam had a thing going awhile back where BVM sold the same Super Hornet as Tam but with many improvements. BVM no longer sells these kits. The one in the videois not the Extreme F-18F.

Kirk
Old 08-19-2012, 12:10 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Short answer, Growler is the ECM version of the Super Hornet. Very bad ass version.

BVM does not make F-18s. Like KSonn stated, BVM used to carry Tams F18 kit with BVM made gear and some hardware. They are also distributors of Chinese made Skymaster and Extreme jets.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:44 PM
FenderBean

Thats what I thought, extreme/Skymaster are not made by BVM. BVM just sales them
The term newbie is always subjective [8D]
ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Short answer, Growler is the ECM version of the Super Hornet. Very bad ass version.

BVM does not make F-18s. Like KSonn stated, BVM used to carry Tams F18 kit with BVM made gear and some hardware. They are also distributors of Chinese made Skymaster and Extreme jets.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:41 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job Bill!!

Dave
Old 08-19-2012, 05:30 PM
DUCMOZ

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good Video Kirk. I knew the fog would lift off the minute I leave. See you Saturday.

Behzad
Old 08-19-2012, 07:08 PM
k_sonn

Thats what I thought, extreme/Skymaster are not made by BVM. BVM just sales them
ORIGINAL: FalconWings

Fender, as I stated earlier, the F-18 in the video is not the Skymaster/Extreme F-18. It was distributed by BVM and Tamjets starting in Jan '05. On the BVM site, it was branded as the BVMF-18 and it had improvements over the one sold by Tam. This is no different than any jet distributed by Tam.When he sold (distributed) airframes, they were brandedas Tamjets (insert name of plane here), although he didn't make them.

Kirk
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: DUCMOZ

Good Video Kirk. I knew the fog would lift off the minute I leave. See you Saturday.

Behzad
Thanks Behzad. Had a blast flying the micro mig with you. See you Saturday at Jets Over Whidbey.

Kirk
Old 08-19-2012, 07:10 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Nice F-18 looks good

That is a TAMJETS SUPER HORNET airframe..
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Wheres all the external stores?? Pretty much looks like a Super Hornet without them.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

news flash Apple does not make iphones either.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:19 PM
k_sonn

ORIGINAL: ianober

Wheres all the external stores?? Pretty much looks like a Super Hornet without them.
Ian, Bill has all of the external stores but since this was the maiden flight he did put them on. Bill also made several changes to the airframe that are unique to the Growler although you may not be able to see them in the video frame capture I posted.

Kirk
Old 08-19-2012, 07:35 PM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

Nice job Bill , can't make JOW but maybe you can drag it up to Princeton in a month.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:19 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: k_sonn

ORIGINAL: ianober

Ian, Bill has all of the external stores but since this was the maiden flight he did put them on. Bill also made several changes to the airframe that are unique to the Growler although you may not be able to see them in the video frame capture I posted.

Kirk
Gotcha, the stores will really make it stand out!! Hope to see some video of it fully loaded!!
Old 08-20-2012, 04:17 AM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Bill,

Looks great! How many flights so far? Glad you will have it for your event.

I certainly miss mine, sold it this year. It is really fun landing this plane!

Dave
Old 08-20-2012, 07:35 AM
FenderBean

Pretty close, the chinese make them LOL
And as for the who made it, I asked when did BVM make a F-18 because I have never heard of them making one.
ORIGINAL: mr_matt

news flash Apple does not make iphones either.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 AM
k_sonn

So back to the reason for the thread instead of arguing over something stupid like branding with someone who hasn't been in RC jets long enough to know about this F-18.

Great job Bill. I'm ready to do some more videos of your awesome plane. Maybe we can do a walk around to show all of the mods you made. See you on Saturday at Jets Over Whidbey.

Kirk
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

So back to the reason for the thread instead of arguing over something stupid like branding with someone who hasn't been in RC jets long enough to know about this F-18.

Great job Bill. I'm ready to do some more videos of your awesome plane. Maybe we can do a walk around to show all of the mods you made. See you on Saturday at Jets Over Whidbey.

Kirk
That would be cool.

Bob
Old 08-20-2012, 08:25 AM
FenderBean

I asked because I have followed BVM stuff for years and have never heard of them making a F-18, I think some people just like to take anything I ask or say and make it an issue. I like the Jet and read a jet mag issue that had this jet in but I didnt put 2 and 2 together until someone posted the articles above. It will be cool see the the pods on it.

Kirk
Old 08-20-2012, 08:39 AM
reznor
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: ddennison

Bill,

Looks great! How many flights so far? Glad you will have it for your event.

I certainly miss mine, sold it this year. It is really fun landing this plane!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just a couple of flights. I did all of the mods you suggested. It flies much better than I anticipated. It looks rough in the maiden video, but once I got trims, throw, expo, etc. all dialed in its super smooth and nowhere near as scary to land as I thought. That first landing was hot because of all the horror stories I'd heard about it wanting to pitch up if it got too slow. It also does not pitch up on take-off. Comes up smooth and predictable with only take-off flaps. It slowed down nicely for subsequent landings.

Can't wait to fly it with all the stores and ordnance. A friend up here made me some awesome AN-ALQ pods that will have a functional RAT. I still need to finish those up. Currently completed and ready to go I have the AN-ALQ 218 pods on the wingtips (I made them from scratch, they are on the model in the vid), all 3 AN-ALQ hi/low band pods for underwing and centerline, 2 drop tanks, 2 AGM 88 HARMs on the outer pylons and 2 AIM-120 AMRAAM missiles for the fuse. All pylons/ordnance/stores have been fitted and are ready with the exception of the AN-ALQ pods. Should be interesting! And oh yes, the talhook is functional.

Thanks Dave for all of your help as I assembled this thing. I really appreciate it.

Bill

Old 08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
reznor
My Feedback: (4)

Here are a couple of shots during construction. It's not complete (missing antennas, etc.) but close. The day we did the maiden was pretty overcast and it doesn't show up well. This should show the markings better. The photos I had of the actual aircraft were taken before the Squadron deployed for Japan a month or so ago, so it doesn't have the most current markings but close. If you guys are interested in more details - I took a fair amount of pictures while I customized and built this plane that I could post. May not be able to get to it until after Jets Over Whidbey, but I should have some better pix from the field by then.

Bill

Name:	Db83958.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	1793540   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84875.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1793541  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:29 AM
weasel33

Sorry my mistake forgot all about the tamjet tie up.
This is the Tamjet version i took these some years back at Fresno jets
pilot is Dave Presta best landing ive ever seen,take away the aerial and it could be the real thing

Name:	Sq47884.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1793571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49224.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1793572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99909.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1793573  
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Bill,
No matter the source, congrats on your new ride and successful first flight(s).
Nice to see someone sprucing up a kit after researching a scheme and some unique details to break from the cookie-cutter out of the box ARFS. Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.