Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Ultra flash or Bandit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Ultra flash or Bandit

Old 08-17-2012, 01:36 PM
KFX450
My Feedback: (30)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Ultra flash or Bandit

I'm thinking of my next winter project and I'm trying to decide between the two. I had my heart set on a bandit but I was just watching an ultra flash and it made me think twice. Price point being a really good factor. Don't want to start anything here but would like to hear from people on thoughts. I find this a good place to sway my decision. Would like to hear from some people that have flown both. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:55 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ultra flash or Bandit

Well, you have an electra.... a Bandit is the natural evolution

Disclaimer: Ive never flown a Flash, so my comment is not a comparison... just in case
Old 08-17-2012, 03:31 PM
AFTERBURNER1
My Feedback: (80)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had two Bandits and two Ultra Flashes.... Im still flying my new Ultra Flash and the Bandits have both been sold... Both fly great but I'll take the UF ...

[]

[]

[]

Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

For my own edu. what will a brand new UF run you RTF (minus the turbine)?
Old 08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Darren, you can build a Ultra Flash without a turbine for about $4500.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:12 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally think the Ultra Flash is a lot better flying of a jet over the Bandit ... Preference may differ between flying styles. To me the UF is more "snappy" and light feeling, taking tight aerobatics somewhat better. For cruising around with an occasional point roll or loop here or there, the BARF, or any other bandit would be great as well however. I have also seen and herd of several bandits shedding wings, stabs, etc in flight during normal use. I don't believe many (if any) any flashes have been reported to loose parts in flight... , on the other hand, Flashes do have a problem with surface hinging delamanating if not handled carefully on the ground or in transport.

~V~
Old 08-17-2012, 09:41 PM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

We currently have a Bandit and a Ultra-Flash. The bandit is areodynamically perfect and flys about as true as an airplane can get, zero bad habits....but its not the most robust airframe out there and can be a little fragile. The UF on the other hand is about as rugged airframe money can buy. Hard landing, no problem....60G 180 degree turn at 200mph, pfttt child's play... However, the UF does need some mixing in certain situations....

Dollar for dollar, the UF wins hands down. If you want perfection in flight, its the Bandit all the way....

Old 08-18-2012, 06:08 AM
KFX450

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate all the responses.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:44 AM
sailing1
My Feedback: (134)

What are the price points all up for the Bandit less turbine of choice?
Old 08-18-2012, 07:07 AM
jtlittle
My Feedback: (7)

Compare the return if you decide to sell each airframe. Consider this in the cost.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:20 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Around $6500.

I've owned two Bandits (one was Doug's) and two Flashes (classic and ultra) and really liked both airframes. I echo Doug and Dave's opinions on both planes. I loved the precision of the Bandit and the ruggedness of the Flash. The Ultra Flash is almost at the same level as the Bandit in terms of precision, but can take a beating. My only knock on the Ultra Flash are the terrible factory color schemes.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:57 AM
ozief16
My Feedback: (13)

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

I second both Dantley and Dave's comments after owning both. I lost my bandit due to radio failure and elected to replace it with an UF eventually

Dave
Old 08-18-2012, 08:59 AM
KFX450

ORIGINAL: dubd

ORIGINAL: sailing1

Around $6500.

I've owned two Bandits (one was Doug's) and two Flashes (classic and ultra) and really liked both airframes. I echo Doug and Dave's opinions on both planes. I loved the precision of the Bandit and the ruggedness of the Flash. The Ultra Flash is almost at the same level as the Bandit in terms of precision, but can take a beating. My only knock on the Ultra Flash are the terrible color factory color schemes.

I talked with Ray Labonte this weekend. He is a CARF dealer. You can order the UF as a custom scheme like the red white and blue on the classic flash. That's a plus because I'm going to have to agree. I don't like any of the schemes on the website.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:43 AM
RBardin
My Feedback: (27)

I have also seen and herd of several bandits shedding wings, stabs, etc in flight during normal use.
I would be really interested in some substantive details on this, Voy. Please post more info... Most everyone here remembers Adil's issue, but honestly thats the last I've heard or seen of what you describe above, and that one was extremely isolated with many circumstances about it. On what versions comparable to a UF have you seen/heard these issues happen? I have seen a Youtube of a guy who admittedly flew a BARF 100 mph over VNE and destroyed it, but that would fall far beyond the parameters of normal use.

I'm still working on a composite super myself, so if there is anything I need to look out for or be aware of, then I want to know!

Rusty
Old 08-18-2012, 01:51 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: RBardin

I have also seen and herd of several bandits shedding wings, stabs, etc in flight during normal use.
I would be really interested in some substantive details on this, Voy. Please post more info... Most everyone here remembers Adil's issue, but honestly thats the last I've heard or seen of what you describe above, and that one was extremely isolated with many circumstances about it. On what versions comparable to a UF have you seen/heard these issues happen? I have seen a Youtube of a guy who admittedly flew a BARF 100 mph over VNE and destroyed it, but that would fall far beyond the parameters of normal use.

I'm still working on a composite super myself, so if there is anything I need to look out for or be aware of, then I want to know!

Rusty

Adils wings ripping off is one I have seen blow apart first hand. I saw one at a jet rally in VA with the vertical stab ripping completely off in flight causing a crash. Two have blow apart in the air at a local field in PA that I know of. There are other instances reported here on RCU also. If its gentle pattern aerobatics someone wants, a bandit is great.

The UF is definitely a more robust airframe. The hinge delamination can be a pain, but at least ,it wont likely occur in flight, or cause the airframe to blow apart.

As for the poor paint scheme sellection, well, one can always go custom
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8VP4TjRlNI[/youtube]

~V~

Old 08-18-2012, 05:34 PM
RBardin

Man, I wish you had more details - what specific airframes were the 2 at the local PA airport? How were they powered? How were they flown? And the one you saw in VA, what version was that one, and what was the consensus after it went in as to cause?

After searching RCU itself, Bing and Google as well, all I got was the hit for the one that was on youtube, RCPete's rebuild of Francis' old 500+ flight bird, and Adils old thread. I used several search strings - BVM bandit failure - bandit wing failure, Stab failure, flutter, etc. I'm pretty good at finding old threads and such, but I cant seem to find anything. Post some links, please!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:43 PM
Cratus
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: KFX450

I'm thinking of my next winter project and I'm trying to decide between the two. I had my heart set on a bandit but I was just watching an ultra flash and it made me think twice. Price point being a really good factor. Don't want to start anything here but would like to hear from people on thoughts. I find this a good place to sway my decision. Would like to hear from some people that have flown both. Thanks in advance.

Never flown an UF but I currently have a composite Super Bandit with a P-120. The model flies absolutelyphenomenal. I tell my friends the jet feels like a sniper’s riffle in terms of precision and reliability. BV builds a great kit. You won't be disappointed.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60582.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1793133  
Old 08-18-2012, 09:57 PM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

Waiting for the 180RX to put in the Super Bandit.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:20 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a super bandit with an original p-180. It was heavy and bent the axles. I have been retrofitting better gear for about 3 years!

I have not owned an UF but have seen many fly. They have a thicker wing I think and they hold more fuel or smoke. I don't think you can get near as much fuel and smoke oil in a bandit. I do think it is easier to put full gear doors on a bandit which helps with top speed when going this fast. And I agree the flash is a tank in terms of toughness. I don't think the BARF is as robust as a normal super but that is just opinion.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, I wish you had more details - what specific airframes were the 2 at the local PA airport? How were they powered? How were they flown? And the one you saw in VA, what version was that one, and what was the consensus after it went in as to cause?

After searching RCU itself, Bing and Google as well, all I got was the hit for the one that was on youtube, RCPete's rebuild of Francis' old 500+ flight bird, and Adils old thread. I used several search strings - BVM bandit failure - bandit wing failure, Stab failure, flutter, etc. I'm pretty good at finding old threads and such, but I cant seem to find anything. Post some links, please!
Hi,

They were both mine.They were both classics,and in all fairness, they were flown extremely hard.One had a P-160 turned down to 27 lbs,and the other had a P-120.I bought them both used,and the cause wasn't the design in either case.The first was repaired after a catastrophic pipe failure,and was never the same after that.The second was 10 years old,and had the older style hinge on one of the flaps let go at very high speed. I had a super bandit with hundreds of flights on it before I sold it,and I ran it hard.Just an awesome airplane.You will love it,and it will last a long time unless you hurt it in some way. If you're going to run it hard,make sure you have zero slop in your servos and linkages. I find bandits to be prone to aileron flutter at high speed unless there is zero slop in the linkage/servo.I have no experience with Flashes.Good luck.

Erik
Old 08-19-2012, 06:35 AM
AFTERBURNER1

ORIGINAL: indubitably

D

You were three seconds behind that 160sx powered ultra flash all the time.. I would think 2x before runnin a 180rx in a SB.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:37 AM
AFTERBURNER1

Look out!![X(]
Old 08-19-2012, 06:45 AM
Ramz

I only have personal experience with a UF. Can't speak for the Bandit but I love my UF. I fly it hard with a K170F and it takes it well. I have a transport stand custom built for the UF which eliminates the delamination problems from transport as far as the fuselage. As far as the aileron and flap hinges, they are not an issue as long as care is taken during handling. It goes together fast and easy. The fit and finish is fantastic and the paint is equally impressive. The only issue I had with mine so far (40 flights) is the main fuselage tank leaked around the neck during the pressure buildup during the filling process. I put some hysol and cloth around the neck and it solved the problem. I am also going to drop my fuel pump voltage from 6.6 to 3v or 4v. If my UF were to go in, I would replace it with another UF in a heart beat.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:09 AM
indubitably
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: AFTERBURNER1

D

You were three seconds behind that 160sx powered ultra flash all the time.. I would think 2x before runnin a 180rx in a SB.
Not sure what you mean. I have not posted video of my plane. Just wondering if you saw someone else fly the 160 UF. Also, i do not see the Top speed as much faster, just the vertical, and acceleration. Like driving a Veyron, 55mph most of the time. Still with over 1,000 hp fun.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:40 AM
RBardin

ORIGINAL: Erik R

Hi,

They were both mine.They were both classics,and in all fairness, they were flown extremely hard.One had a P-160 turned down to 27 lbs,and the other had a P-120.I bought them both used,and the cause wasn't the design in either case.The first was repaired after a catastrophic pipe failure,and was never the same after that.The second was 10 years old,and had the older style hinge on one of the flaps let go at very high speed. I had a super bandit with hundreds of flights on it before I sold it,and I ran it hard.Just an awesome airplane.You will love it,and it will last a long time unless you hurt it in some way. If you're going to run it hard,make sure you have zero slop in your servos and linkages. I find bandits to be prone to aileron flutter at high speed unless there is zero slop in the linkage/servo.I have no experience with Flashes.Good luck.

Erik

Glad you chimed in, Erik. I had a feeling there was more to the story. I'll double truss my ailerons and use 8711's.

Rusty

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.