Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Is this FOD bad?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Is this FOD bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 03:11 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Is this FOD bad?

Here are the pics, my new rabbit. Decided to check it out and noticed it has some small nicks, and there is some slight scoring around the compressor. Is this normal or is something else going on? I recently sent in another turbine that had way more fod due to grass and dirt getting sucked up in it over 40 flights during this drought we have over here. So decided to check out the rabbit to see how it looked after 3 runs and almost cried when I saw the nicks and rubs.

Is it normal to get some nicks, have some rub marks, some scoring etc.. if flying off grass or using jets that have a low intake on ashpalt?

I flew this one on asphalt but its a newer runway and is very "gritty".

Let me know if I should send this in

Also, is fllying off dirt/grass runways bad? Normally we have nice grass runways but due to the rought lots of stuff getting sucked up, dead grass flakes, dirt. Seems these things are very fragiile.

1st and 2nd pic, 3 nicks on a blade, 3rd pic is of the rubbing, 4th pic blade at 6 o clock
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55731.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1795510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg15592.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	1795511   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68040.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1795512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19793.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	1795513  
Old 08-26-2012, 03:30 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Is this FOD bad?

Well any damage can cause balance issues and for the turbine to become less efficient, do you run a FOD screen? anything running through a turbine over time will can cause damage, dirt, dust or even grass can wear on the blades.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:31 PM
essyou35

OH yes I do run a FOD screen, these nicks look like things that could fit through the fod screeen, trying to decide if this turbine needs sent in or not.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:40 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

Hmm one would think the FOD screen would protect but no telling. If you any vibrations come up you may want to send it in.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:01 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Those nicks won't have any affect... Just my opinion
Vin...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:02 PM
essyou35

Vin what about the score and rub marks from the comrpessor, pretty harmless too?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

If its starting and running good with temps in the normal i would not worry about it.
Vin...
Old 08-26-2012, 04:36 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like Vin said, not a problem. Carry on
Old 08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
John Tancock

Seen much worse and no broblems!
Remember inlet gas flow is better interrupted, it shouldn't be
Shinny!
These engines can take allot more damage than you think!
Vince is correct no vibration, no problem!

In his opinion and my own. : )
Old 08-26-2012, 05:44 PM
gtoro26
My Feedback: (2)

just a little info

i have had all j central engines and have never run them without screen

i had 2 run offs into grassy areas at end of asphalt runway f16 with rhino

1st time nose gear did not collapse and didnt think much of it
2nd time nose did collapse in grass and i did immediate shut down

long story short the finest granules of dirt did end up causing bearings to start grinding on next few flights

immediately had a 3 day turnaround with kerry at jet central usa in PA he is very efficient pay close attention to the engine spool up and spool down and listen carefully if there is a difference

grindage >>

thnks

Old 08-26-2012, 05:51 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

From What I see in the photos you don't have to worry about anything, like others have said I have seen much worse
Old 08-26-2012, 05:53 PM
essyou35

It was running fine when I shut ti down, I just happened to decide to have a look at it after my other got beat to crap by grass and dirt due to this drought. I never noticed anything on that one but it was way worse!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:17 PM
gtoro26

i thought mine was fine after blowing out entire aircraft with compressor

it was about 2 flights after grass runnoff and the grinding started

both bearings needed immediate attention

kerry at j central PA said it was the finest dirt he had ever seen affecting the bearings

i am i guess anal and i sent it in after i heard the grinding

yes i could of flown more and caused more damage or even a seisure

but its better to have it checked out for small fee or get in to trouble and get a higher bill to fix

just some advice
Old 08-26-2012, 08:23 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Like most of the guys are saying here, not to worry or loose any sleep on that ( is my opinion ), you also have to listent to the othe litle guy sitting on your left shoulder and I believe you are because you are asking the questions here, if you are still thinking about it, like gtoro26 is saying send it in for a check up and get your sanity back [:@]

I also have a question ( more like two ), since you said you fly out of grass, is this going to happen again soon? and what could you do to prevent it from happening again?

just food for thought.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:31 PM
gtoro26

yes i also agree i have a few friends who's home field is asphalt

and due to going to a couple local shows nearby on grass or manicured grass

same issues did arise.

kerry did specify that there is no way even with a fod screen to avoid this

the grains of sand are so thin that entry thru screen to engine is almost inevitable

good luck be safe
Old 08-27-2012, 04:19 AM
Jeffpro
My Feedback: (1)

I've become very cautious about flying off grass fields, especially ones that aren't manicured.

Last summer I flew my F-16 off a grass field and ingested a dirt clod right at take-off. The jet lumbered into the air at reduced power and I expected it to fall out of the sky at any time. I nursed it through the first turn and the power thankfully came back on the downwind leg. Later, I removed the FOD screen and found the intake caked with dirt (see picture below). I sent the turbine to JetCat. They cleaned it and replaced the bearings. Bob Wilcox said that if I hadn't sent it in, I probably would have suffered a catastrophic bearing failure very soon.

On the same field, a friend of mine flew his Jet Legend Tutor. During the climb-out, the engine power suddenly fell off, and he essentially had no power for a few seconds until the engine spooled back up. After the flight, we noticed that his FOD screen was covered with dandelions. Evidently the jet had rolled through a patch of dandelions on the take-off roll, and for a few seconds, the reduced air flow going to the turbine almost shut it down. Like me, he was lucky to have an airplane left.

I still fly off grass fields occasionally, but before I do, I ask myself these questions:

1) What is the quality of the grass? Is it short and smooth or long and clumpy? Are there dandelions or grass clippings on the surface that could get sucked in to the turbine?

2) Where are the air intakes on my jet? The low air intake on an F-16 means it will suck up just about anything in its path. Jets with side intakes offer a little more protection, but not a lot. My BVM BobCat, on the other hand, is less likely to suck things up because the turbine sits on top of the fuse and is mostly protected from stuff underneath the jet.

3) Is flying here worth the potential damage to my turbine or worse, the loss of a jet?

Not saying don't fly off of grass. Just be aware of the dangers and be smart about where you choose to fly.

Name:	Yv66288.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	1795644  
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 AM
essyou35

Thanks guys for the responses, I will listen for changes in sound on the rabbit. I didnt think it looked to bad but needed some input.

As for my other turbine, a few hundred bucks later she's got a new compressor and ready to go!

I know one of the main reason my other turbine got beat up so bad is that there is a hatch on the bottom of the jet where the turbine installs that is very flimsy, the just acts like a vacuum across the runway. ALso, I had the front gear give out a couple of times and the wheel well is open inside the fuse, so a double whammy!

So I know what I need to do but I was shocked that grass and dirt that can get through the FOD screen could beat up the compressor like that.

I really think it is due to this drought, the grass is dead (not dormant) so it flakes up, and the dirt is exposed.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:04 AM
John Tancock

This is just a hint that I found worked quite well!
If you use an air line to blow dirt out of a turbine, you will more than definitely push in deeper!
It may be out sight but hanging around!
A simple cleaning tool that I made out of an old aerosol lid/cap,
These will normally fit over the exhaust outlet, I just cut a hole in the top of it the same size as my vacuum cleaner nozzle.
With this placed over the exit of the turbine, turn the cleaner on and the lose stuff gets drawn out of the engine and not forced in!

I have made one to go over the inlet out of plastic card made into a cone, this version fits over the starter as well!

JT
Old 08-27-2012, 09:14 AM
essyou35

Is it normal to have scuff marks or scoring in the intake where the comrpessor is?
Old 08-27-2012, 01:51 PM
John Tancock

Not back in the UK yet but I should be able to post some pictures of an AMT Mercury I'm rebuilding at the moment, it will give you a better idea as the intakes are anodised! This makes any rubbings or FOD show up more! Noisy bearings will always mean an engine strip, a good Hoover out is something I do just when removing an engine for what ever reason!

JT
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
gtoro26

it is normal to have machined like markings on your blades on shaft directly behind starter motor
these are placed in specific areas to complete balancing process
Old 08-27-2012, 02:40 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same question about one of my turbines. For some reason, it seems to be running a little rough.

Name:	Kh17342.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	1795846  
Old 08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Hey Craig, have you been using that for a leaf blower
Old 08-27-2012, 02:45 PM
gtoro26

iis that the new toe and naill clipper 3000
Old 08-27-2012, 03:19 PM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: gtoro26

iis that the new toe and naill clipper 3000
No, it's the Binford 1000, propane line ingesting, super turbine. Believe it or not, it kept running.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.