Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

composite fuel tanks

I am currently building a twin turbine F-15 (it was an old model masters kit from the 80's designed for twin .91 DF's) and I need to make custom fuel tanks. They will be inaccesable once the aicraft is complete. What epoxy is 100% fuel proof (JP8 and possably JP8+100) and I have heard that Tygon fuel line needs to be replaced from time to time, if so, is there an alternitve.
    thanks
    -Mark

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: composite fuel tanks

btt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've used West Systems epoxy on all the tanks that I've built over the years. Never had a problem with the fuel affecting the epoxy.

No fuel line will last forever, but I think trygon will probably last as long or longer than any other type of flexible fuel line inside the tanks.
    Kevin Whitlow

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Viton fuel line will last indefinitely. That's what's used inside automotive fuel tanks. You can get viton tubing from McMaster-Carr.

Joe

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm planning on using the "lost foam method" on the tanks, this is my first time making custom tanks, how many layers of kevlar do you normally use for tanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I believe polyvinylester has been described as a cross between epoxy and polyesterin is really good stuff and makes an excellent fuel tankresists everythyinguse hysol to bond halves-I have used it for years

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi

We have make a fueltank and try to learn a procces to make this for our other aircraft. This is for an Elan.
    It,s made in prepreg fiberglas. If you use google translate you can maybe understand how we have done.

Fueltank

//
    Jonas

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: lewandom

I'm planning on using the ''lost foam method'' on the tanks, this is my first time making custom tanks, how many layers of kevlar do you normally use for tanks
    Just finished the fuel tank for the 1/5 scale F84-G using the lost foam method, just a foam core with packing tape and vaseline, didn't use kevlar but just the normal glass cloth used that in other planes too,
    Very easy to do!

cheers,

Frank
    BLue Skies Happy Landings

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I was going to do the layup around multipule foam cores (this plane is going to have allot of small tanks) and insted of cutting them open I was going to use MEK (I have easy acess to MEK along W/ other chem's) and melt the foam out than clean it out with more MEK. My plan is to have muitpule small tanks in between the formers in the wing glove area (4 per side) feeding 1 aft tank on each side thats going to be under the exauast tunnels and than finally into a main tank (with a devider down the middle)behind the cockpit and inbetween the intakes, I'm going to only use a clunk in the main tanks the rest will only have a feed line in the bottem and a vent on the top wich will go to the next tanks feed. I'm going to use a pressure tank in the nose with a pressure regulator (http://www.festo.com/pnf/en-us_us/products/catalog?action=search&key=HX$313533343935) and am going to have a vent valve in the main tank that is opened and closed by a thermister on top of the tank (when it is wet with fuel the valve is closed when it is dry it opens up allowing air to flow out and fuel to flow in) I hope i diden't make it sound too confusing, I have it drawn out and it's not too complcated I work on the fuel system these jets as my job, so I have a good understanding of how things work