Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Pressure tap for Turbax1 ducted fan unit

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Pressure tap for Turbax1 ducted fan unit

Old 09-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Daan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure tap for Turbax1 ducted fan unit

Can a pressure tap like the Jet Model Products item and other impellerpressure/pitot pressure items from other manufacturers, ie. Trim Aircraft, be used with the Turbax1 ducted fan unit from Jet Hangar Hobbies?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Pressure tap for Turbax1 ducted fan unit

Is this the tap on the pipe to the fuel tank or off the fan to the fuel tank? As far as i know and remember they can be used. What will this be used on or in?
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Daan

This is from the fan to the fuel tanks. The reason why I am asking is, is because I am not sure about the pressure put out by the less powerful?? fan.
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Ram-bro
My Feedback: (101)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried that once with a Byron setup. Disconnected it. It wasnt necessary, if I remember correctlt it used to flood my engines causing a to rich engine run. Does the pipe have the pressure fitting? It will be different i am sure for each fan and motor setup.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:30 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Dann,
Either the JMP(Tom Cook)or Trim Pressure Taps will work just fine in a Turbax fan unit. Just installeither in the 11 or 2 oclock position (when facing the fan unit) between the stators- to prevent overflow drainage from your tank setup. Also, be sure the face the tap inlet towards the back of the rotor blades for maximum pressure. Just follow the instructionswith these taps and you'll be fine.
However, these taps will not work well with a Viojett or Viofan since the pressure rise at the stators is too low-you must use pipe or pipe puffer pressure for these fans.

Art ARRO, Sr. Jet Pilot

Old 09-04-2012, 08:35 PM
jetdriver
My Feedback: (1)

on the ramtec and dynamax fans , you get 1 psi if using fan pressure and 4 psi if using pipe pressure. ( bv pipe) I did not like the fan pressure and always ran the pipe pressue instead. (better needle)
Old 09-06-2012, 03:14 AM
Daan

Thank you very much to everybody for their information. The answers help a lot.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:51 AM
GrayUK

I always ran fan pressure, much more reliable than pipe pressure, easier to set the engine up.
Never had a single issue with it, had lots with pipe!
Pipe pressure is too high at full throttle, but when you throttle back, it drops off quickly, makes it more difficult to set the engine up.
Also if the seal blows on the tuned pipe you lose pressure, with a fan, as long as the engine is running you get pressure.
If you cannot get the correct fitting then use a model boat water cooling scoop/pickup.
They can be fitted and work very well.
Paul G
Old 09-09-2012, 04:03 AM
Daan

Thank you!
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Art ARRO
My Feedback: (5)

Daan,
I agree with Paul Gray in that fan pressure is better suited for most glow DF installations. Pipe pressure is greater but causes swelling of the fuel tanks and varies greatly with throttle settings. Also, if the pipe loses seal, then the pressure dimishes which usually results in an overlean condition. Ilogged countless successfull flights with Turbax I fan using fan pressure with the K&B 7.5 DF engines along with the Fan Jett 50 engine. However, fan pressure did not seem to work as well with the Viojett or Viofan and BVM 72/81/91 engines due to a low pressure rise in front of the stators.
I do recommend an inflight mixture control, either JMP or BVM, to remotely control the mixture as the fuel level burns down-it will definately save your engine from an overly lean run and possible damage ($$$) as a result.

Art ARRO
Old 09-10-2012, 07:04 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good Lord !!!! I haven't heard this discussion in years. Pipe pressure vs Pitot pressure !!! That was always good for a late night beer drinking argument right there !!!! Thanks for the memories !!!!

Danno
Old 09-13-2012, 01:15 AM
Daan

Thanks for all the information. Looks like impeller pressure/pitot pressure is the way to go.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Jet20
My Feedback: (2)

Daan,

As the manufacturer, we would recommend pipe pressure. My dad and I both always used pipe pressure and were able to reliably fly our Turbax DFs for years without issue (my dad especially). Don't get me wrong, there was the rare flame out from time to time, but most landings were with power on which is what you want. Just something to think about. You can email us directly as I'm sure my dad has even more insight on this ([email protected]).

Chris