Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Boomerang XL ?

Just wondering if anyone has had a horizonal stab come off during flight ? Lost my new XL after about 3 mins into
    the maiden flight at 3/4 power [about] flying stright and level .Total lost ,professionally builted . everything new in
    XL except P-120 ,everything burned up except engine . I know of one other that had the blocks and bolts pull out
    of the horizonal stab with the same results and at a slower speed stright and level .Any feed back will be welcome .
    This happen today in Waco at the 30th GreaterSouthWest . Thanks
    Some of you might of got the wrong impression when I said my new XL ,It was new in the box but was brought 6 yr`s
    ago by another Jet flyer and he never did anything with it and he sold it to me ,so yes to me it was still new ,but just
    a 6 yr old kit not a 2012 kit ,just wanted to get things stright .I`m not saying anything bad about the Boomerang XL,
    just letting everyone know what happened to mine and hope it doesn`t happen to anyone else . Ken
    Ken White

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Boomerang XL ?

Looks like u got a lemon, sorry to hear it. My own kit had several flaws but I'm happy to report that the stab is solid, even after lots of
    -/+ snaps.
    RCU Rocks, I\'\'d hate to be without it !!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is starting to show wrinkles at the wood blocks, a square pattern, I'm thinking of opening the bottom of the stab at the blocks to inject some hysol.
    Carlos R
    Citabria/Decathlon Brotherhood # 1
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If you go to the previous XL thread there are pics of one breaking up in flight, I have them somewhere, but can't find them at the moment, will look later.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hi all,
    had my XL since 2005, still flying as good as it's first flight, changed from 40megs to 2.4, never had had a problem with it. PST 1300R turbine, Hitec servos, sorry to hear one destroyed when its so new.
    Grant NZ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wu60274.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	43.8 KB 
ID:	1799032   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tq48509.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	1799033   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ec88545.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	1799034  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I knew I would find them eventually.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zw69707.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	1799132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm38676.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	1799133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	In28375.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	1799134  
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow spectacular photo sequence!!

Sorry bout your loss ken! Bad luck
    baby please.....I am not from Havana.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That bird had a spar in it???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I knew I would find them eventually.

Mike
    Mike,

Are those pics all of the same bird?? First photo, the stab's gone but the wing is there, second photo- the wing is gone but, the stab's still there!

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes they are the same breakup, just put them in the wrong order on the post, second pic should be first.

Note the rear ali incidence pin seems to be coming out of the bottom on the first pic (second on the post) and then out of the top of the wing in the second shot (first on the post) well it looks like the covering has popped at the least, seems to indicate either a spar fault or the spar was not put in, if I remember correctly when it was first posted the owner said the spar was bent when recovered indicating that it was in place during the flight, if you can call it that. LOL

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Looks like in this case the wing failed not the horizontal stab.
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Whatever failed first it was a total loss, just like the OP.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Sorry to hear about the loss Ken.

Total lost ,professionally builted . everything new in
    XL except P-120 ,everything burned up except engine .
    Looks like u got a lemon, sorry to hear it.

I'm sure Boomerang jets will come to the party & give you, at the very least,
    a new airframe to replace the faulty one than damaged all your equipment ..........

John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes they are the same breakup, just put them in the wrong order on the post, second pic should be first.

Note the rear ali incidence pin seems to be coming out of the bottom on the first pic (second on the post) and then out of the top of the wing in the second shot (first on the post) well it looks like the covering has popped at the least, seems to indicate either a spar fault or the spar was not put in, if I remember correctly when it was first posted the owner said the spar was bent when recovered indicating that it was in place during the flight, if you can call it that. LOL

Mike
    I have been very critical of the quality of my particular Boomer XLII kit, as the quality was just terrible and there were several issues to be worked thru, BUT:

I've gotta call it like it is and defend the Mfr in the above case with the pics. The failure mode in the photos plus the fact that CARBON SPARS DO NOT BEND indicates to me that the owner (IF he made the claim of a bent spar) didnt even install the spars. IF he said they bent, I suspect he doesn't know a spar from the hole in the ground made by whatever was left of his airplane.

Although my kit had issues (including missing spars which Patricia replaced for me), it's proven to be very strong.

I'm feelin for the original poster of this thread though, it's gotta really sting to have the stab come apart. Really sorry for his loss.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: highhorse

Mike
    I have been very critical of the quality of my particular Boomer XLII kit, as the quality was just terrible and there were several issues to be worked thru, BUT:

I've gotta call it like it is and defend the Mfr in the above case with the pics. The failure mode in the photos plus the fact that CARBON SPARS DO NOT BEND indicates to me that the owner (IF he made the claim of a bent spar) didnt even install the spars. IF he said they bent, I suspect he doesn't know a spar from the hole in the ground made by whatever was left of his airplane.

Although my kit had issues (including missing spars which Patricia replaced for me), it's proven to be very strong.

I'm feelin for the original poster of this thread though, it's gotta really sting to have the stab come apart. Really sorry for his loss.

Have they always been carbon spars? I'm sure, in fact I'd bet money, that I've seen primarily aluminum tube spars on boomerang's. Aluminum spars can bend for sure. I don't believe I have ever seen a carbon one in a boomer, I could be wrong, I've seen a lot of airplanes and spars over the years, but I'm sure all the boomers I've seen have been aluminum spars.
    remember when people actually BUILT their airplanes?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The anti rotation and wing retention pins (front and back) are aluminum. The actual structural spars (2 of them) are hollow carbon.
    \"somewhere between the port of indecision and southeast of disorder\"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sure Boomerang jets will come to the party & give you, at the very least,
    a new airframe to replace the faulty one than damaged all your equipment ..........

John.
    [/quote]

I really cannot see that happening somehow.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Dont forget that the pictures shown are not of the OP's aircraft breaking up.

My 2cents... i helped a guy assemble a XL2 and it was the biggest piece of crap around. Quality was about the same as the falcon 120. Took hours and hours or re engineering to make even remotely safe.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is an '07 kit, and even back then the spars were carbon. I won't say my kit was unsafe or that it took "hours and hours" of engineering to make it so, just that there were enough small problems that it took many hours to fix "Chinese-isms" and the quality control was sloppy.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mine is 06, 2 carbon spars, one larger dia, one smaller dia, both go thru the booms and into the wings with 2 alloy pins on each wing section, threaded in, locked in the main section by 2 grub screws in each wing section. The only thing i changed was the retract mounts, fitted Sandors trailing leg spring air package with new ply mounts supplied. 6 years still going strong. maybe they have changed the construction from the early kits. photos show "a" spar coming out of the right wing, then catastrophic break up. (did it only have 1 spar with anti rotation pins?)
    Grant NZ

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Ken:
    I'm sorry to hear about your Boomerang XL.

I just need a little clarification regarding this kit.

You mentioned that this is your new Boomerang XL. I have searched my records for the last 18 months and cannot locate your purchase of this specific kit.

Could this be the kit that was purchased "in the box" from a flier who not longer actively flies? I have a record of having sold this gentleman two Boomerang XL kits in 2006. They were on the first container I received in th U.S.
    which contained the Boomerang XL kits. He purchased these kits on June 6, 2006 along with the linkage sets and retracts with no struts. I did receive a telephone call from your area requesting information on
    finding the CG on an "original" Boomerang XLI on the evening prior to your unfortunate flight.

Any helpful information you can pass on will be greatly appreciated.

Patricia
    Boomerang Jets USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Patricia,

You are correct as to which kit we are talking about. I talked to you friday on the phone about the C.G. question and we did get that resolved and correct. I am the one who built the kit for Ken. The kit went together as "advertised". It went together just fine with no issues other than the canopy holes did not match the dowel pins.. The airplane flew out fine with just a few clicks of trim on aileron and elevator. It flew 5 or 6 rounds around the pattern and was on downwind leg about 1/2 - 2/3 throttle ( P-120 ) in level flight when the failure occured. The entire airplane burned on impact with nothing left of the airframe. The horizontal stab was found away from the crash site and was broke with 2/3's found. It appeared that the hardwood blocks tore loose on right side and as it departed it broke the stab off just past center line with the larger piece found. The blocks and attaching bolts I assume remained on the top of the boom. The smaller piece atop the left boom was not found and presumed attached and lost in the fire. It appears that the hardwood blocks are simply glued top and bottom ( sandwiched ) between the top and bottom balsa skin. Hope this helps a little.

Regards,

Dan Massey

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Wow!

Patricia is so good at Customer service, man! she knows her stuff, I like her style and detail, on my Boomer XL I had to redo the retracts mounts, I got it that way intentionally ( I posted pics. on the Boomer thread )

I have build a few jets in the past and I will have to say that my boomer was not any harder or dificult to build or operate than any of the other 26 I build before and many out there will agreed with me.

My 2 cents
    Carlos R
    Go fly a Jet today

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

THANKYOU OP F9FFLYER

Thanks to your thread, I just checked my own '07 XL which first flew just last year and has 41 flts on it.

3/4 of MY STAB MOUNTING BLOCKS ARE LOOSE. YOUR THREAD SAVED MY AIRPLANE

This is what RCU at it's best. I will start a separate thread with a more urgent header to make sure the word gets out.

All of us in the XL community owe you beers, man!

Don Ray

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Notice that the disintegrating Boomerang in the three pictures (post #6) has a repainted fuselage and red painted nose. This particular plane had prior crash damage that required a rebuilding of the fuselage/nose. It may be possible that other structural damage was present but went unnoticed and led to the catastrophic failure seen in the photos.
    Steve Collins

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast