Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobbyking BD5 for Jetcat P20

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobbyking BD5 for Jetcat P20

Old 05-18-2013, 09:15 AM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobbyking BD5 for Jetcat P20

Most of them sold out because the manufacturer actually went out of business.  Some may come back when HK finds some other place to copy them.
Some fly OK.  Some fly very poorly.  Often they have bad airfoils and wing design and very bad slow speed handling.
But either way few if any are actually flown at all before being released to the public.
Few complete many flights at all.
It's like Fly Eagle Jets, but smaller.
It's also hard to get a good reading because HobbyKing pays people to shill their models, and they have many reps who just tell how everything is just awesome. 
Have you ever seen a video of the HK Staff flying any of these 90mm jets?  Never.
THey just released a new one.  Nobody has flown that model.  Ever.  But it's for sale.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:26 AM
RAJ

Yeh true no videos seen have hobby king upset you? lets hope it flys well it was just a plane i looked and was thinking a p20 was perfect for.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:38 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

You would think a company as big as Hobby King would maybe build and fly just one of each plane before releasing them to the public, but no. Cheap stuff, poor quality planes. If you look on the other RCforum, you can see hundreds of posts with complaints, these planes always have major issues, and it could be very dangerous if you put a turbine into one and the wings come off, so be very careful.
Everything Ihave ever bought from HobbyKing has been a problem in one way or another, and customer service is non existent, once they have your money, you are done, so no more HKfor me, it has been a real waste of money.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:19 PM
RAJ

The wings will not come off ther on permenantly! Servos are good aswel iv changed half of the stuff inside the plane its more stronger then it could be even stronger then the habu! What planes did you experiance problems with from hobby king? Was the bd5 one of them?
Old 05-18-2013, 05:11 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Not the BD5, but the Viperjet and the Hawk.  Garbage planes.  Worse even than HET.
Old 05-18-2013, 11:00 PM
Bigplums
Banned

So the Hobbyking 90 mm jets are no good. I beg to differ

90 mm Mig 15 with P20

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MIfnaHiEl8[/youtube]

Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM
Bigplums
Banned

Viper looked ok as well and landed very slow

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HADoZaKr6iI[/youtube]

Old 05-18-2013, 11:17 PM
Bigplums
Banned

And here is the Hawk. Looks like they fly ok to me. Ok problem with the retracts but still landed ok

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVsxu9Fz6UA[/youtube]

Old 05-18-2013, 11:18 PM
Bigplums
Banned

Good luck with the BD5 Raj. I am sure it will go well
Old 05-18-2013, 11:38 PM
RAJ

They seem to fly very well check mine out http://youtu.be/C3Fg-x5oyY0 flew well!
Old 05-19-2013, 12:56 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

Bigplums, Dennis Norman, you are like the British Mr. DJ.  You don't fly.  You just promote.  I bought a set of landing gear for a Tornado from HobbyKing a few years ago.  I bought them because you said here how great they were.  They were pure garbage, bent on the first landing and went into the trash.  Afterwords, I realized you never flew them.  You don't really fly much at all.  But you get paid to promote hobbyking, so you are all over the place posting about how great their stuff is.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Bigplums
Banned

ORIGINAL: PhilYabelli

Bigplums, Dennis Norman, you are like the British Mr. DJ. You don't fly. You just promote. I bought a set of landing gear for a Tornado from HobbyKing a few years ago. I bought them because you said here how great they were. They were pure garbage, bent on the first landing and went into the trash. Afterwords, I realized you never flew them. You don't really fly much at all. But you get paid to promote hobbyking, so you are all over the place posting about how great their stuff is.
Well to explain I fly most weekends and today I have flown My Panther with Wren 54, My Vortex with P20, My 50 cc SU26, My 26 cc P47 and my electric Sbach. The day Hobby King pay me anything will be a day indeed.Cant remember ever suggesting any landing gear for a Tornado apart for the ones sold by Jet Legend. Hobby King do have many good sets of landing gear however.Still believe what you will Have you ever heard the expression 'A bad workman blames his tools'
Old 05-19-2013, 02:15 PM
PhilYabelli
Banned

No, you barely fly at all, doubt you flew today at all, you aren't flying any of these junk HK90mm jets you promote so much, and you get paid to push junk products from HobbyKing. And you have been thrown off this website under a dozen different names. Don't come back here, people know now what you are up to, Dennis Norman. An English Mr. DJ.
You would think after the FlyEagleJets debacle that people will be more careful about letting these shills come on here and promote stuff they have not flown or tested.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:32 AM
RAJ

The hobby king bd5 flew very well faster then my habu and looked good in the air attached small video of it flying
http://youtu.be/5m6HEvv6b5M
Old 10-21-2013, 04:31 AM
TJK
My Feedback: (69)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Raj,

Any more video of the BD-5? How does it land? Please let us know how it's been doing these past 5 months.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:09 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

I finally made a maiden on my HK BD-5. Wow. First I think that is is as much weight as The little P20 can handle it seemed on the edge. I made it safely around the pattern and Landed because it seemed slightly tail heavy. and it felt heavy. Ill have to fly it again before I make judgement. Still seemed hot on final. and glided 1/2 mile.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:28 AM
RAJ

My one flew very well it was faster then my habu with the p20" unfortunatly mine crashed on its 7th flight due to pilot error i stalled it on the turn slowed it down to much and pitched the nose up it has very small wings i did notice it was abit unstable flying at slow' speeds the bd5 is a fast jet with a p20 and can eat up the sky in seconds with a p20 however good for pilots that like fast stuff but not for those who like slow scale flying if you build one keep it light very light im sure it wil fly alot better i added stuff like retracts pilots in cockpit, lights this just added the weight up" altho nice model
Old 10-21-2013, 07:38 AM
drdoom

Yep. Very fast It went around the patch so fast I don't remember much about the flight characteristic. No retracts. may have saved it and Prolly slower than yours. but upper 170's Next flight will have a GPS data recorder.

Last edited by drdoom; 10-21-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:25 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much do they weigh in at dry?

Thumbs up for the ones actually flying not only guessing
Old 10-21-2013, 11:41 AM
drdoom

Ill have to check. Ill weigh it tonight. I made a dual wall stainless pipe for it and that is in the back of the jet. and so is the P20-sx so Mine has a little weight in the nose.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:45 PM
RAJ

Mine wheyd in about 6kg it was bit heavy check the hobby king site to get the right auw" its small bulky fuslarge with tiny wings"