Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jets and burn bans

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jets and burn bans

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 06:43 PM
chris1971

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jets and burn bans

Here in Oklahoma we have been in a burn ban for about three months. I have heard that we shouldn't fly during a burn ban so I haven't flown since June! Do any of you guys fly regardless of a ban and does anybody know what the AMA says about this situation? We had a fly-in last weekend that the fire department sent a truck to hang out with us for public relations and the fireman I talked to said that he didn't see any legal issues with flying because if you did have a problem it would be accidental.

Chris
Old 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Jets and burn bans

In the Denver area we have two fields that are in state parks. At Cherry Creek State Park the park mangement can order a burn ban which includes Gas Engines and Turbines.

Cherry Creek has had one fire caused by the crash of a turbine helicopter and a couple others caused by lipos in a crash.

Personnaly I curtail my turbine flying when I feel the fire danger is too high even though the park may not have officially set a burn ban. My decision is also affected by the amount of fuel (dead grass) that is present at any given time.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:09 PM
jzuniga
My Feedback: (7)

Seattle area has burn bans... believe it or not! Rainy Seattle? :-(

Z
Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Wclays
My Feedback: (85)

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

We have not had any burn bans in Tucson, but it is hot and dry.

I would not want to be the guy on the 10:00 news that stated a big fire. Turbines seem to be taking a beating most of the time anyway, so use good common sense, lets protect the hobby

I have other planes to fly.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM
grbaker
My Feedback: (29)

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

the fireman I talked to said that he didn't see any legal issues with flying because if you did have a problem it would be accidental.
The local Fire Marshal told me the same thing. But that does not absolve you from liability if your jet crashes and causes a fire resulting in property damage. The lawyers are going to come after you for choosing to fly in conditions that you knew might be more likely to cause a fire that could not be immediately contained.

The layout of the flying site and the surrounding terrain have a huge bearing on how quickly one could get to and put out a fire. My old flying site had a large part of the overflight area that is fairly hard to get to, especially carrying fire equipment. There were also several homes that were fairly close in proximity. Due to these reasons, I choose not to fly during burn bans, there. A couple of years ago, that meant I did not fly a jet from March until November.[&o]

Old 09-16-2012, 04:46 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burn ban or no burn ban, you are liable no matter what.
Old 09-16-2012, 06:54 PM
chris1971

We are finally getting some rain so hopefully they will lift it this week. Our field has a few houses within 1/2 mile and I would hate to be the one to cause harm to anybodies property. Thanks for the replies.

Chris