Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Fuel line tie wire?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Fuel line tie wire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 01:00 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fuel line tie wire?

In the latest RCJI Special there is an article on exactly this subject by Dave Wilshere, please read what he says about zip ties being no good, they pinch at the pull point and do not form a circle therefore allowing a potential air inlet point, he also uses a short length of tygon over the fuel tube barb, not tying wire.

Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

In the latest RCJI Special there is an article on exactly this subject................ also uses a short length of tygon over the fuel tube barb, not tying wire.

Mike

So.... Put the "Festo" hose on the barb... and then a ring of tygon over that? I used that trick with silicon hose... but tygon is hard to stretch.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks Mike, I will look that article up.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:07 AM
BaldEagel

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

In the latest RCJI Special there is an article on exactly this subject................ also uses a short length of tygon over the fuel tube barb, not tying wire.

Mike

So.... Put the ''Festo'' hose on the barb... and then a ring of tygon over that? I used that trick with silicon hose... but tygon is hard to stretch.
Dave uses needle nose pliers to stretch the tygon over the tube, silicon tube is not Kero safe and will deteriorate in time.

Mike
Old 09-17-2012, 06:39 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike

So.... Put the ''Festo'' hose on the barb... and then a ring of tygon over that? I used that trick with silicon hose... but tygon is hard to stretch.
Mc Master Carr sells a thin walled tube called Tygothane C210 formulation. This material is ester based polyurethane that works great with gas, oil, kerosene etc. I use the 1/8"x3/16" tubing. I cut a short length of this tube and it stretches fairly easily over a pair of forceps or needle nose pliers. I open the jaws of the tool to stretch the piece open and insert the end of the tubing into the crimp point. Once the tubing is inserted over a fitting and is allowed to take a set, it requires cutting to remove. Try it......
Old 09-17-2012, 11:05 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Mike

Dave uses needle nose pliers to stretch the tygon over the tube, silicon tube is not Kero safe and will deteriorate in time.

Mike

Right. I meant... I used it with glow engines. I'll have to give it a try with the Tygon.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:11 PM
tkapfer

Will galvanized steel wire work just as good? I have some 24 gauge.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:24 PM
BaldEagel

Not sure about galvanised wire, its only a surface coating and easily compromised, Stainless Steel would be better wrapped around the tygon twice and twisted just enough to prevent the tygon slipping over the barb.

Mike