Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)

Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)

Hi Guys,

I know a few of these have been converted to fly with P-20's, and Kolibri 25's... but I couldn't find anyone dumb enough to stuff a MW44 into it.

Anyway.... here's my little CMP T-45 with a wren 44 installed. This was bought from Nitroplanes for $127 shipped. The air frame isn't too bad... and unlike the Falcon 120... you don't have to re-glue all the bulkheads. I didn't do anything fancy... this is just a sport jet. And keeping with that... I used Shifu (from Kung foo panda) as my pilot. Also... I wanted to be able to fly this off grass... so it has fixed gear, with 3" main and 2.5" nose wheels. (with my homemade air brakes)

I will edit this tomorrow with a ready to fly weight, but I'm estimating it at about 8 Lbs. (should be fun with 10 Lbs of thrust)

As I said above... it's a 44 gold, using the "Wren" pipe, and holding 32 oz of fuel, and a 4oz Hanson air trap, and I hope to do it's maiden at the fall TurboFest at Titusville.

The bottom vid is just a test start to make sure it didn't set itself on fire. (lol)

Let me know what you think.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7m2qjkxFBc&feature=share&list=UUolQNncUzg7XlXEOCrEIPOA[/youtube]
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Another NitroPlanes Conversion (CMP T-45)

Tony. Nice. Real nice. Can't wait for the maiden video. That 44 is sou ding good. Good luck with that man.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: hooker53

Tony. Nice. Real nice. Can't wait for the maiden video. That 44 is sou ding good. Good luck with that man.
Thanks... it's running good. Did you get your 44 straightened out?
Old 09-20-2012, 02:16 PM
hooker53

Have not touched it Tony. It's on a short list though. Ha. Ha.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:32 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Very nice!
Good luck on the maiden!
Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Now your making me want that 44 Gold even more for the L-59 lol

Cant wait to see the video on this one. Good luck with the maiden Tony

Word of advise.. I have this plane. It can be tippy stally at slow speeds. Be very gentle on the turns with the power off for landing.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: Vettster

Word of advise.. I have this plane. It can be tippy stally at slow speeds. Be very gentle on the turns with the power off for landing.

Thanks. I've read the threads on it... and you are right. They seem to like a little power, or some speed on landing. So... I figure I will try a little crow, and that way I can keep some power on. I also have "Herbs" wing fences that still need to be installed. And finally... I read one report that the pilot said that when he used flaps on take-off... it made it very stable, and removed the tip tendency.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Vettster

can you post more pics of the rudder linkage. The ball link they used tends to be very sloppy. You need to support the ball control arm or you will get flutter.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM
Dr Honda

It's buried at the moment. I just put a block around it. (I found that on one of the other threads)
Old 09-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Vettster

should be good to go then
Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

takeoff flaps!!
looks good!
good luck!
Scott
Old 09-20-2012, 05:39 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Looks good Tony. I'll see you at Titusville.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Intresting approach :-) Did you get an updated AUW dry?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Dr Honda

I should have the weight today. I'm going to bring my small shipping scale home from my shop.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Dr Honda

Welllllll........................

She's a little fatter than I would like... but not too bad. Right now... with a full header tank, and a little fuel in the main tank... she's 7 Lbs, 14 oz. So, that's not bad for the landing weight. But, on take off... we will be a tad over 9 Lbs.

So... I may do a little work, and see where I can drop 5 or 6 oz. I may get rid of the header/bubble tank, and just put a felt pick-up in the main. I'm sure that would give me the weight reduction I'm looking for. BUT.... a long dive could kill the engine. Hummmmmmmmmm.

I'm open to suggestions on this one.

My brakes are heavy... I'm sure I can scrap a little weight out of them. I may need to take my pilot out too.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:17 PM
hooker53

Tony. That's not bad. I Fig you would come in way heavier than that. There's several I know that just use a felt clunk and they do right well with them. You just have to put a new one in about every season. Rig that main up with some soft Black tubing so that it will clunk to the front and Mabey it will stay in the fuel.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:24 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Looks good tony

Your Wing loading is going to be a bit higher now (not what you want with a hawk) so make sure you have no droop on the ailerons, a little above centre even preferred, all the washout you can get will help prevent any tip stall when making that last turn.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:28 AM
Dr Honda

The other day... I tried to do a taxi test in the grass... and I had a couple flame-outs. (With smoke) After looking around, I noticed some air in the feed hose, so that pushed the decision to take out the header tank. Well... it was the right thing to do on this one. It saved me 4oz of weight, and it got rid of my air problem. Also... by the suggestion of another member... I pushed the CG back a little. (to 105mm)

Xairflyer: I think I'm going to set it up, with a degree or two of up aileron. I think I would rather have some stability over some extra speed up on the top end.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:48 AM
Xairflyer

Dont think it will effect the speed much really, not if only just a little up
Old 09-26-2012, 03:59 AM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

BUT.... a long dive could kill the engine. Hummmmmmmmmm.
We usually fly the Kolibri powerd planes like this with only a large felt clunk. It's not a problem with the dive as most planes can't handle full power while going downwards and the ones who can have such a great G-load so that the fuel is in the back of the tank anyway (Swist for example)

Only have in mind that if you climb unlimited then just glide back down at 45degrees descent you might get a flame out. Else seldom any problems.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:22 PM
larry11
My Feedback: (6)

Well, how did the maiden go?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:10 PM
Dr Honda

ORIGINAL: larry11

Well, how did the maiden go?

I got back from the Titusville Turbofest last night (was there for 2 days)... and it was a great time. We had about 30 pilots show up... with a total of +50 models. This Jet rally was open to both turbine, and EDF... so there was a lot of very nice, high-end EDF jets. And needless to say... everyone who looked at my Hawk, wanted to know what "Fan" was in it. (lol)

OK... after being spooked with all the horror stories of how bad the tip tendency is with this little t-45... and how a turbine in it was a bad idea... I deiced to let a pro do the maiden. So... I asked Jim Hiller (The AMA turbine guy) to go over it... and give it it's maiden. He was very happy to give the little Hawk a try. After working out a few issues, and fixing one of the landing gear legs (we cracked the mount on a BIG hole) The T-45 was ready.

The runway we were flying from, is a full scale runway... so there are some cracks in it... big enough to swallow a small tire. So... he setup close to a crack to the left of us... and with the power of the wren (even turned down to 8 Lbs of thrust) it was off the ground before the next crack. So... it was off the ground in about 80' to 100'. At that point... it went vertical for about 500', and Jim rolled it over, to start to trim it. After a few tweaks... she was flying hands off, with half power. (at about 90 mph)

A few of the guys watching wanted to see it go full throttle... and I said... OK... but because the landing gear is fixed (a lot of drag) I don't think it got over 120~130 mph. BUT... We didn't hold it open long, because I don't think it would hold together. (lol)

On landing... we used full flaps, with a little crow mixed in. (about 5 to 8 degrees of up aileron) We also kept about 10% power, and flew it to the ground. Even with the power on... it landed around 40 mph. But, once the power was cut... it settled on the the runway smooth as silk. With full flap, and crow... it showed no tendency to tip.

Needless to say... because it came off the ground so quick... and the vertical was unlimited... there is no plans right now to turn the Wren up to full power. (10#'s thrust) She flies great with 8#'s.

That's my T-45 and Falcon 120 On Saturday morning, at the "TurboFest."

Old 10-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Xairflyer

Glad it went well Tony