Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR12x battery

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR12x battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 05:51 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JR12x battery

HI all, who sells the best battery for the 12x.
Thanks Rcpete
Old 01-14-2014, 06:11 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Use eneloops

BVM sells them. $48

http://shopbvmjets.com/zencart/index...products_id=58

Last edited by bcovish; 01-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:29 PM
shepp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd at dreamworks has the originals.
Old 01-14-2014, 06:49 PM
rcpete347
My Feedback: (251)

Originally Posted by shepp
Todd at dreamworks has the originals.
HI, just for cureousity, I went to Dreamworks, no eneloops, no idea what your trying to say.
Rcpete
Looks like BVM has what I need
Old 01-14-2014, 06:53 PM
shepp

Sorry my bad. I thought you were looking for the original JR batteries
Old 01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Pete, what Shepp was saying is that Dreamworks had the stock battery that comes with the 12X

You can not go wrong with Eneloops. It is a tight fit in the cassette but does go in. Charge the Eneloops on the NiMH setting at 300mah.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:19 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://sincityjets.com/battery-charg...k-12x-10x.html
Old 01-14-2014, 10:41 PM
Gra55h0pper

Eneloops have been perfect for me.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:15 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Yeah the Eneloops are the way to go and do not use the factory included walwart to charge 'em, it cooks the batteries.

Almost any of the battery suppliers will have an Eneloop set for your cassette. Some like NoBS will even install the batteries for free if you send in the cassette and I just use a plain old JR walwart charger on mine. While I personally think the 2000mah's are fine and that is what the factory battery is, that new one from Sin City Jets looks interesting, don't know if it's worth another 20 bucks but the biggest issue may be getting the thing. I used to use Sin City Jets for stuff since he was so close, the prices were good and so was the CS. The last time I ordered anything from him (I think his name is Chad???) it was a battery set for my 12X. Took a week and a half to get the batteries, no communication from him and the prices were higher than average. That was a LOT different experience than I'd had before.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:24 AM
Randy M.
My Feedback: (38)

I had my 10x modified to take a 9.9 life. Had a wire lead soldered in place. I lost two planes with the cassette battery.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 AM
M3Baker

Electrodynamics did mine at Kentucky Jets. I'm very happy.
Old 01-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by Randy M.
I had my 10x modified to take a 9.9 life. Had a wire lead soldered in place. I lost two planes with the cassette battery.
Hmmm......

Brings up something I'd not thought about for some time as I've been trundling down the Spektrum radio road for a bit but have started using my 12X again instead.

JR put out an SB on the 12X and I cannot find it on Horizon's website anymore. It was directing users to add a piece of "thick" tape on the side of the cassette so it fit into the battery compartment tighter. It seems as though (I could get my radio to do this, freaked me out the first time it happened) if you put the radio down a bit abruptly on it's back, the cassette could start to slide off the contact pins and push the battery door open just enough that the tx would lose power. I had it happen when starting a gasser; set things up to start, put the radio down, start the engine and when you pick the radio up it was not on.

Now I didn't pay a lot of attention to it since the battery pack I use most of the time is a 10X casssette which is just a tad bit larger than the 12X cassette so it fits tighter and it does not do this nasty little trick. But if I put a 12X cassette pack in it, I can repeat the problem if there isn't any tape on the side of the cassette.

Just a thought for you 12X users out there.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 01-15-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:45 PM
MTK

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Hmmm......

Brings up something I'd not thought about for some time as I've been trundling down the Spektrum radio road for a bit but have started using my 12X again instead.

JR put out an SB on the 12X and I cannot find it on Horizon's website anymore. It was directing users to add a piece of "thick" tape on the side of the cassette so it fit into the battery compartment tighter. It seems as though (I could get my radio to do this, freaked me out the first time it happened) if you put the radio down a bit abruptly on it's back, the cassette could start to slide off the contact pins and push the battery door open just enough that the tx would lose power. I had it happen when starting a gasser; set things up to start, put the radio down, start the engine and when you pick the radio up it was not on.

Now I didn't pay a lot of attention to it since the battery pack I use most of the time is a 10X casssette which is just a tad bit larger than the 12X cassette so it fits tighter and it does not do this nasty little trick. But if I put a 12X cassette pack in it, I can repeat the problem if there isn't any tape on the side of the cassette.

Just a thought for you 12X users out there.....
Not sure if anyone touched on the following: the original 12X charger set-up I bought with my radio in 2010, turned out to be real crap. It wouldn't charge the battery fully (apparently it was a timing charger). This led to early battery failure on the TX. I sent the TX back and received a new, higher capacity but more typical wall wart type charger and a new battery from HH at no charge to me.

As far as who has the best batteries for TX's, I nearly always go back to Radical RC for NiMH cells and bats. My 10X TX and earlier model TXs are all equipped with Radical's 8 cell packs. On the 10X it's no biggie to open the cassette and install a new pack. After initial break in at low current, NiMH are a cinch to fast charge and simply last and last. These are inexpensive. That's what I was going to do with the 12X too, but at the urging of HH I sent the TX back to them for updates and am glad I did.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:06 PM
Snaproll John
My Feedback: (56)

http://hangtimes.com/txpacks.html

Been using these Sanyo Eneloops in my JR 12X since it first came out. Couldn't ask for a better battery! And as previously mentioned....Steve at Hangtimes Hobby will install/solder the cells for free. And he does awesome work!

Last edited by Snaproll John; 01-15-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:57 PM
MetallicaJunkie

http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...utaba_JR_.html this battery is great.... it will last me several weeks before i have to recharge... if you are handy with soldering iron its a five minute job
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM
Zeeb

Originally Posted by MTK
Not sure if anyone touched on the following: the original 12X charger set-up I bought with my radio in 2010, turned out to be real crap. It wouldn't charge the battery fully (apparently it was a timing charger). This led to early battery failure on the TX. I sent the TX back and received a new, higher capacity but more typical wall wart type charger and a new battery from HH at no charge to me.
You got lucky.... My 12X was in the first shipment Horizon got and that was about mid-June and by November the battery was crapped out. I'd been calling Horizon about that stupid charger deal from the time the radio came. The original directions said to put the battery on the charger until the light turned off. Mine was on the charger for 31 hours and the battery was hotter than h*ll, Horizon said it was okay.... In fact as the battery was getting worse with shorter and shorter run times, one tech at Horizon told me I wasn't leaving it on the charger long enough.

Long story short; they refused to admit there was an issue with the charger initially, just kept making a few changes in the thing, in fact they never did admit there was a problem I guess not wanting the liability. My radio was back to Horizon three times on the battery crap and I got one new battery then I had to go looking since there were no spare batteries at Horizon for some time. I also had the service bulletin they released a couple of months after the radio came out taken care of on one trip. Eyebrow switch mod and something else I cannot remember. I had to buy my own walwart.... lol

Any rate, it was LOTS of fun.....

Last edited by Zeeb; 01-16-2014 at 09:34 AM.