Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbine Exhaust Pipe Clearance and Temps

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbine Exhaust Pipe Clearance and Temps

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Geoff_H
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbine Exhaust Pipe Clearance and Temps

Hello I am working on a new project and have some questions regarding exhaust pipe installations. My current jet is a twin boom so this is new to me. I am planning on a glass fuse with wood or composite formers a dual wall pipe and no bypass. Are there any guide lines as to how close the pipe can be to the fuse formers? How much clearance is required between the outer wall of the pipe and the inner diameter of the fiberglass exhaust nozzle of the fuse? I assume there needs to be adequate space to allow enough air to flow around the outside of the pipe and out the back? What is the safe temp range around the pipe inside the fuse and temperature of the fuse from the radiant heat?

I have a chart from Jetcat that states a pipe of 85mm od for P70-P160 turbines. Would a fuse with an exhaust nozzle of 100-110mm allow enough airflow arround the pipe to keep the temps safe?

Thanks
Geoff
Old 09-21-2012, 08:58 PM
FenderBean

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Exhaust Pipe Clearance and Temps

A safe bet would be to contact Tams, he makes pipes for everything and I would assume he could answer any questions you may have.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Jgwright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Turbine Exhaust Pipe Clearance and Temps

Colin Straus has done some proper testing for RCJI and the results are in the new supplementary issue with the latest engine tests.

John