Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Futura 1.9m or CARF Hawk

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Futura 1.9m or CARF Hawk

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Jame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futura 1.9m or CARF Hawk

Can anyone help me out with this very hard decision Ive been looking for a new airframe for next season and just cant decide between any of these, Ive been trawling the internet looking at different Threads and Build Threads on each one and just cant decide, part of me says I want something a little bit more scale than my current model (CARF Flash) and then I think, but the Futura is a really nice looking airframe and very precise, but again Ive owned a 1/6 Scale Hawk before and loved it, Im not particularly stuck for an engine for each of the models on the list, and all the Radio Gear will be brand new so again Im not really restricted by anything that could make the decision for me. I think Ive just grown up a bit since I stuck my 160 in the Flash The largest size I can run to is around the 85 inch (Length) mark as thats all I can fit in my very small car [:@] I can fly from both Grass and Tarmac on a fairly regular basis and use a mainly F3A / IMAC style of flying. Ive also been looking at the Skymaster range, but if anyone else has any other suggestions or help on these airframes, that would be great. Ive thought about an Ultra Flash but I dont think it'd be different enough from my Classic, but maybe someone will know totally different, any opinions or help are very welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts
Default RE: Futura 1.9m or CARF Hawk

Jame

UF is light and day different to the Flash.
I love my CARF Hawk...
Wait until Elvington and you can try both out.

Dave
Old 09-21-2012, 07:25 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have tons of hawks and Futuras. Love them both!
Old 09-21-2012, 07:46 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jetpilot

I have tons of hawks and Futuras. Love them both!
Tons may be a bit much, but he has a bunch of'em
Old 09-21-2012, 08:15 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My CARF Hawk is my favorite jet.

BTW Dave, Do you stock any parts to scale it up a bit? I found the under wing strakes on your site but, seem to remember you doing the top scoops, maybe the front antenna too. I just ordered an FEJ cockpit kit to fit to it, could use a good source for a pilot too.

Mike
Old 09-21-2012, 08:24 AM
siclick33

Jame,

I was going to say get the Futura as I was thinking of a Hawk for me

Have you seen both in the Flesh? The big Futura looks awesome and has great presence in the air but I was a little disappointed when I saw the smaller one. To me it just looks like an ugly sports model without the wow factor that the bigger one has.

My vote would be for the Hawk out of those two, but I'm also keeping my eye on the Sebart Avanti S as that looks really good (albeit a bit expensive).
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 AM
jetpilot

Both Futuras have wow factor. several of my friends prefered the small one. Looks just as nice as big one. has good presence and flys like a big model. still much bigger than a bandit type airframe and looks different and cool.
The Sebart Avanti has wood wings and expensive. Yuk!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60071.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1803506  
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 AM
Jame

Thanks Dave, that'd much appreciated. Its funny that you should say that as Ive been a bit ignorant here to be honest, weve got a UF that Im yet to have a go with, maybe I should just have a go and then maybe add that to the list too

Scott : I would love to have your collection, everytime I saw your UB advert, I had to have a quick look just to see the rest of the high end toys behind it Your Futura looks stunning Scott, the canopy shape seems like it makes or breaks the Futura airframe, very nice.

Darren : Are you thinking the same as me, perhaps a bit of a time share situation, 6 months each I have mate, I saw DW's at Long Marston and Ian Rowe' Futura at Elvington and Deighton, I thought they both looked very impressive in the air, the Futura looked to track very well, but I know the Hawk will be just as good if not better than any other Hawk and I loved my last one.

Im leaning toward the Futura at the moment, what engine have you got in yours Scott, P100RX?? I think thats what I'd power mine with if I were to get one.

Thanks for the info guys, its really helped so far.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

I will answer for Scott on this one. I was there for the maiden and watched Pablo wring it out with 20 flights last weekend. He flew it like he stole it. Anything more than the P100, it will be overpowered and just add weight. I gonna get my hands on the sticks at BITW when Pablo turns his back.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 AM
jetpilot

Jame, I think the P100rx was made for the 1.9M Futura!! A real blast!!
Honestly, I was worried I wouldnt like it. I was thinking it wound not compare to the big one and be too small. It really suprised the heck out of me. It really flys big. My buddy, Pablo, put about 20 flight on it in a few days and loved it! It was a hit at the last show I went to.
A real fuel and fly jet. Hassle free. easy to transport and put together at field. A great jet!
I hate to steer you either way cause I am a huge Hawk fan!!! Hawk addict!!
Scott
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 AM
Neil Collins

Hi Jame

I have flown the Comparf Hawk and the Futura, my Futura is my favourite model at the moment, it has over eighty flights so far with zero maintenance, if F3A flying is your style you will enjoy the Futura more, it flys as well as any two by two pattern ship.
The Hawk presents well and is a bit faster than the Futura.
You can't go wrong with either model.

Here is my Futura with a P100 RX, a match made in heaven.

http://youtu.be/LqCmRqRLoqY
Old 09-22-2012, 02:55 AM
carl.huxford125

I think you need a nice nearly new JL mig 29, then i can buy a Carf Hawk
Old 09-22-2012, 10:58 AM
Jame

Carlos......what you need is a lovely Classic Flash, Hitec Servos, PB Evo, Wren 160 Kerostart, all for a very favourable price
Old 09-22-2012, 11:24 PM
carl.huxford125

i know i love my flash but i really dont want two. I've gone off the idea of a hawk with you and darren both wanting one, i want something different at the club so have decided to go for a derjet Cougar, just need all the money for it[:@]
Old 09-23-2012, 12:22 AM
Robrow

Hi Jame, just got back from another month in the desert, trying to catch up on all things in the toy jet world, came across your thread. I think if you are looking for a precise flyer then it's got to be the UF and it's got that hawkish look in the air. The Futura would give you the same with the added bonus of looking different (I could never drink enough for it to look good).

All the other scale stuff does not fly as well, if they did then we would not have pattern style ships. Hawks are like the Ford Fiesta...they are everywhere in all sizes and colours.

Carl has the right idea, if you want scale look for something different, it will probably give you more of a flying challenge and more maintenance.

Rob.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 AM
Jame

The problem there is that weve got a UF, so it would seem a little pointless getting a 2nd one as I can steal Dads whenever he works the weekend I think Im gonna buy a Futura 1.9, Il carry on looking to make sure I havent missed anything else that would float my boat but I think its gonna be a Futura with a P100RX.

There you go Carlos, theres a space for you to have a Hawk again now

Thanks for the all the info guys, its been a real help.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:22 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jame,
I went thru a similar mental debate and in the end settled on the Futura 1.9m as well. I'm going to run a B100 in mine.
I fly from grass so I wanted something the has good flight characteristics and would be low maintenance. I struggled with the look of the Futura for the longest time but playing with a sketch pad I came up with some lines that made the Futura shape more pleasing to my eye. I'm still painting it but should be able to post some final pics in a week or so. For a sneak peak there are some pics about halfway down this page: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...page_13/tm.htm
Another model that may be a little different that has some popularity is the C-ARF mig-15, even more appealing now that they reworked the kit this year. I think one of those may be in my 2-yr plan. [8D]
Old 09-24-2012, 08:14 AM
Jame

Thanks Sean, I too fly alot from grass and can see the Futura being a real easy jet to install and maintain, Im still thinking its going to be a Futura, I love the speed of the Ultra Flash and everyone loves a Hawk, but I cant help but think the Futura will be better.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Robrow

I reckon the Futura will not be that much different to the UF and flys just like a fat bodied UF?

Rob.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:32 AM
jetpilot

flys nothing like a flash!
Old 09-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Robrow

I suppose it might depend on who the pilot is but the last back to back flights of an Ultra Flash and Futura I saw, both flown by the same pilot flew pretty much the same , Futura was just slower.

Maybe they just both look to fly well but feel different on the sticks?

Rob.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 AM
carl.huxford125

Bit off subject, but Rob/jame, are you going to elvington on Sunday?
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM
siclick33

It's cancelled (again)[&o]

Carl, don't pass up a CARF Hawk on my account. I'm in no place to be buying anything yet[&o]

I've got about another 7 models to finish before I can buy anything else[X(]
Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM
jetpilot

ORIGINAL: Robrow

I suppose it might depend on who the pilot is but the last back to back flights of an Ultra Flash and Futura I saw, both flown by the same pilot flew pretty much the same , Futura was just slower.

Maybe they just both look to fly well but feel different on the sticks?

Rob.

Rob,
to me, a futura is like a fish in water and a UF is like a cat in water! lol!! they both swim, but futura loves it and does it naturally!
scott
Old 09-24-2012, 12:11 PM
siclick33

to me, a futura is like a fish in water
Is it based on this fish?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28755.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	1804544  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.