Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

questionable ad

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

questionable ad

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:43 PM
califlyguy
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default questionable ad

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=872376

Anyone know this newbie? Will throw other planes in too ?? 20k invested will sell for 7k?

hmmm
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: questionable ad

well, he cant spell, thats for sure
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I would be cautious based on no ratings or forum posts. The price is probably about all it would be worth in today's market. My red flags come from lack of information, no servo numbers, high end by who's standard? Incorrect name for the engine manufacture, mentioning high end retracts, if they are not skymaster who's are they? That is outside of the no history on RCU or ratings. All that aside he does list a phone number, it doesn't show up on a reverse lookup but it could be a cell number. The 20k number sounds very high but maybe he paid to have it built.
7k is probably about right for that jet turnkey in today's market sadly.
I would be cautious, for what it's worth, the sellers location is shown as NC, but 816 is a Missouri area code.

Edit: 411.com shows the number as a landline in Kansas City, Missouri
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
cagmo
My Feedback: (118)

sniff sniff. I like to give folks benefit of the doubt but.....sometimes temptation trumps logic. I'll pass.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

I have family nearby that I was planning to visit.. Lets see if he will let me drop by and see the jet in person
Old 09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$20k "invested" (why do people call these planes an investment?) in this plane? Did he stuff $10k into the tail cone???

Jeremy, this plane is worth $5000 in today's market.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
advent996
My Feedback: (12)

My wife has a cell phone with Bay Area area code and we live in the Pacific Northwest, so there could be a reasonable explanation for that but there are still too many other flags flying... My little voice says run !!!

Jeremy,

Had some great flying up at Princeton. I made it for half the day on Friday and full day on Saturday before heading back home Sat night. Your Kingcat performed flawlessly...

Bill
Old 09-24-2012, 09:20 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not believe that is a E/F Super Hornet... I see rounded inlet with diverter plate. The engine description is at best barely close. I also see that the gear doors are not there... The main gear inner and outer front doors have to stay open with the gear down. Only the rear main outer door can close with the gear down. The front gear doors could be pushed closed, but they too are normally open with gear down. I would like to see more pic's... I posted a couple of questions, we'll se what he says..

Danno
Old 09-25-2012, 04:50 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

comes with jet century rhino jet motor with remote start
He sounds old school.. REMOTE START

I do not believe that is a E/F Super Hornet... I see rounded inlet with diverter plate.
Your right.. It is a F-18C not a Super Hornet. Anybody missing a Jet ? or did he won a bid on storage war
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

He just repliee to my request to come look at the jet in person. He also said he is at fort bragg, so that could explain the reason for the wrong area code phone number. Unfortunately, its looking like i probably wont be able to make it down this week.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

When I first saw the ad,before this thread even started,I wondered myself.Based on his RCU name,and location,maybe he's in the military,and was looking for a toy to blow off some steam,and now he's afraid to wreck it,and lose his investment.I think you guys are a hair from going off half-cocked.I pm'd him to let him know about the existence of this thread,so he can respond/defend himself.

I'm glad we tend to look out for one another here (sometimes),but I think a direct conversation with the guy would've been the appropriate response here.His phone # was listed.

Blue skies,

Erik
Old 09-25-2012, 07:58 AM
LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Erik R

When I first saw the ad,before this thread even started,I wondered myself.Based on his RCU name,and location,maybe he's in the military,and was looking for a toy to blow off some steam,and now he's afraid to wreck it,and lose his investment.I think you guys are a hair from going off half-cocked.I pm'd him to let him know about the existence of this thread,so he can respond/defend himself.

I'm glad we tend to look out for one another here (sometimes),but I think a direct conversation with the guy would've been the appropriate response here.His phone # was listed.

Blue skies,

Erik

I don't really think anything was said that was half cocked or nearing it. I think the general consensus is proceed with caution. The internet makes it very easy to buy and sell items, unfortunately, it makes it very easy for scammers to nail people too.
As I said earlier, there are red flags up in this ad, I never said it was a scam, I suggested proceeding with caution.

I have sold multiple items online, also bought multiple items. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Everybody has to start selling somewhere, so not everyone has feedback right away. In this instance, the seller has no feedback nor has he ever posted or been an active part of RCU, that makes him a complete unknown. That doesn't discount the legitimacy of his sale, but it does make it more difficult.
A better way to make the sale in this instance, or to instill confidence in the buyer would have been to say something in his ad along the lines of:

"I am new to the site, however you can check my ebay feedback under username (if they have ebay feedback, if they don't then skip that part), I am also happy to conduct business via a consensual third party, be it an established escrow service, or trustworthy business that can be agreed upon by both buyer and seller."

(I have used hobby shops for this purpose), I send my payment to the hobby store, once they receive payment the seller ships the aircraft to the hobby store, in my case I was able to use a hobby store within driving distance for me so it was still only one shipping charge)Once the item arrives in the described condition, the payment is sent to the seller and the buyer can pick up the item. In my case I offered to pay the hobby store for acting as a secure third party to protect my money, they declined as I had a good relationship with the store so they did it as a favor."

Next in line, almost any ad with one picture that really doesn't show much of anything makes people wary, pictures should be from multiple angles including some that wouldn't be typically taken pictures (example, pictures of the jet at an event, anyone could take those, post them online, and have them stolen for use by anyone". Take pictures of engine serial numbers, servo's if possible etc. Even a seller with good feedback will benefit from taking proper pictures.

Give accurate information, caution flags in the ad in question here include incorrect name of the turbine manufacture, this is critical, the turbine is a very expensive part, you NEED to be sure to give accurate information, calling it something it's not is a huge flag to a potential buyer, even if it's an honest mistake, proof read your ad before you post it. Don't just list parts as "High end XXXXXX". Tell potential buyers what the high end parts are. To me personally, I don't care if it's the best servo that hobby king makes, it's not high end and does not belong in a jet, if I bought a jet with "high end servo's" only to find that they are the "high end" of a brand I've never heard of, I'd be mad, yes, it would be my fault for not inquiring further, but really, if they are JR servo's say they are JR servo's, or Futaba, or whatever. Give ALL the information.

In this instance also, not trying to discredit the seller, but if you have a phone number listed that shows an area code that is not an area code in the state you are in, it would give some further confidence to buyers to understand why the number is odd. There could be a ton of different reasons for it, it would take only seconds to mention that you are perhaps military, or work reasons, recent move etc.

If we were talking about a $100 foamy then all this might be overkill, but when we're talking about somebody sending thousands of dollars for an item to a completely unknown person, it is certainly prudent to give as much information as you possibly can.

I've been guilty of being lazy in ad's and not putting in all the information in the past too, and those items never sell, or if they do, it's only after spending WAY more time answering emails and phone calls to answer questions that I should have had answered with correct info in the ad to begin with.

As I say, everyone starts somewhere with feedback and reputation, it only takes a couple extra minutes in your ad to begin to establish a good reputation even with zero feedback.

Just my opinion.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:15 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I live and fly jets in Fayetteville. I've never heard of this guy but it doesn't mean much as there are a lot of guys on Bragg that fly that I've never met as there are quite a few clubs in the area. If someone would like more pics of the jet or would like for me to verify what he has, let me know and I'll try to arrange a time to see what he has if he will allow me.
Steve
Old 09-25-2012, 11:56 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I was going to ask him why the motor had to be rebuilt with only one run, but then I saw it was a "jet century rhino jet motor with remote start". explains it! lol
the ad calls it new assembled, but then he states its been flown a few times and has rebult motor. which is it? new or used?
hes being honest, but cant represent it at all. what military guy pays $20K for a jet he knows nothing about? a re-track? come on!
scott
Old 09-25-2012, 12:26 PM
mr_matt

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I feel bad if a service member got beat for $20K
Old 09-25-2012, 04:03 PM
tulz161

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He traded a car for it. According to the new ad.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:03 PM
FILE IFR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm stuck on how that SM can have 20K into it...... but he'll sell it for 7K [:-]

Old 09-25-2012, 05:09 PM
LGM Graphix

I'm even more confused though, he says it's skymaster, but gives a link for it as the exact model to century jets, so is it skymaster or century jets? I do believe the ad to be sincere, I just think the seller is unsure of what exactly it is he has.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:23 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Did anyone notice that it says under his name that he joined RCU on 09/24/2012?? 

Hmm, no wonder he has no trader rating..

Craig.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, a Century Jet F_18 could be $20K.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:32 PM
AnthonyW

ORIGINAL: meps

I live and fly jets in Fayetteville. I've never heard of this guy but it doesn't mean much as there are a lot of guys on Bragg that fly that I've never met as there are quite a few clubs in the area. If someone would like more pics of the jet or would like for me to verify what he has, let me know and I'll try to arrange a time to see what he has if he will allow me.
Steve
Guys I know Steve and He can verify if this guy is ligit, though I agree is sounds suspect. Steve, just for fun, you ought to check him out anyway.
Anthony
Old 09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

ORIGINAL: Erik R

Blue skies,

Erik

I don't really think anything was said that was half cocked or nearing it. I think the general consensus is proceed with caution. The internet makes it very easy to buy and sell items, unfortunately, it makes it very easy for scammers to nail people too.
As I said earlier, there are red flags up in this ad, I never said it was a scam, I suggested proceeding with caution.

I have sold multiple items online, also bought multiple items. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Everybody has to start selling somewhere, so not everyone has feedback right away. In this instance, the seller has no feedback nor has he ever posted or been an active part of RCU, that makes him a complete unknown. That doesn't discount the legitimacy of his sale, but it does make it more difficult.
A better way to make the sale in this instance, or to instill confidence in the buyer would have been to say something in his ad along the lines of:

''I am new to the site, however you can check my ebay feedback under username (if they have ebay feedback, if they don't then skip that part), I am also happy to conduct business via a consensual third party, be it an established escrow service, or trustworthy business that can be agreed upon by both buyer and seller.''

(I have used hobby shops for this purpose), I send my payment to the hobby store, once they receive payment the seller ships the aircraft to the hobby store, in my case I was able to use a hobby store within driving distance for me so it was still only one shipping charge)Once the item arrives in the described condition, the payment is sent to the seller and the buyer can pick up the item. In my case I offered to pay the hobby store for acting as a secure third party to protect my money, they declined as I had a good relationship with the store so they did it as a favor.''

Next in line, almost any ad with one picture that really doesn't show much of anything makes people wary, pictures should be from multiple angles including some that wouldn't be typically taken pictures (example, pictures of the jet at an event, anyone could take those, post them online, and have them stolen for use by anyone''. Take pictures of engine serial numbers, servo's if possible etc. Even a seller with good feedback will benefit from taking proper pictures.

Give accurate information, caution flags in the ad in question here include incorrect name of the turbine manufacture, this is critical, the turbine is a very expensive part, you NEED to be sure to give accurate information, calling it something it's not is a huge flag to a potential buyer, even if it's an honest mistake, proof read your ad before you post it. Don't just list parts as ''High end XXXXXX''. Tell potential buyers what the high end parts are. To me personally, I don't care if it's the best servo that hobby king makes, it's not high end and does not belong in a jet, if I bought a jet with ''high end servo's'' only to find that they are the ''high end'' of a brand I've never heard of, I'd be mad, yes, it would be my fault for not inquiring further, but really, if they are JR servo's say they are JR servo's, or Futaba, or whatever. Give ALL the information.

In this instance also, not trying to discredit the seller, but if you have a phone number listed that shows an area code that is not an area code in the state you are in, it would give some further confidence to buyers to understand why the number is odd. There could be a ton of different reasons for it, it would take only seconds to mention that you are perhaps military, or work reasons, recent move etc.

If we were talking about a $100 foamy then all this might be overkill, but when we're talking about somebody sending thousands of dollars for an item to a completely unknown person, it is certainly prudent to give as much information as you possibly can.

I've been guilty of being lazy in ad's and not putting in all the information in the past too, and those items never sell, or if they do, it's only after spending WAY more time answering emails and phone calls to answer questions that I should have had answered with correct info in the ad to begin with.

As I say, everyone starts somewhere with feedback and reputation, it only takes a couple extra minutes in your ad to begin to establish a good reputation even with zero feedback.

Just my opinion.
Jeremy,

I agree with all that.I saw the ad before this thread began,and I immediately wondered about it's legitimacy myself.Since I wasn't really interested,I just moved on.Then,when I saw this thread,I had mixed feelings.Although I think it's great that many here are trying to protect good jet brothers from a scam,I just thought the guy should have a shot at explaining himself,so I PM'd him to let him know some legitimate concerns had been raised.He chose not to respond here,but did revise his ad to address that.

I usually don't stick my nose in others business,and always try not to feed in to negativity.I was just trying to be objective,and maybe facilitate some better understanding by the seller,of how it works here.

On a different note,recently put flight 26 on my Firebird,and am totally hooked.Hope you've gotten some time on yours since we spoke.

2 WEEKS TILL THE HAMBURG JET JAM !! I HOPE TO SEE MANY OF YOU!

Blue skies,

Erik
Old 09-25-2012, 07:04 PM
meps

Whazzup Ant ? He wants to come out to our club field. I told him it will be next weekend as I'll be attending Georgia Jets this week. I'll give him a call tomorrow to see if he'll allow me to take.a look at what he has. By the way, had a ball at FFT.
Steve
Old 09-25-2012, 07:50 PM
AndyAndrews

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It seems like I have seen that picture of that jet hanging in a hobby store before. .... Posted here on RCU several years ago. I could be wrong.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:29 PM
kev-o
My Feedback: (1)

Well he looks like he is listening and trying to learn he's edited the add and looks to be welcoming looks Lou's

See what happens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.