Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Thief in Sarasota, FL

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Thief in Sarasota, FL

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: Thief in Sarasota, FL

ORIGINAL: scottkieper

you can spend $11000.00 on a jet but you can get insurance good job
What a tool.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:06 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't mean to kick you when you're down, but a thief is an animal of opportunity. My wife thinks I am crazy but I lock EVERYTHING around the house including the electrical boxes and AC box on the side of my house. I have four locks on my trailer alone, two on the hitch and one on each door (the kind bolt cutters cant cut). I remove my planes from the trailer after I come home from the field, no matter how big a pain in the butt it is.

Again, I'm really sorry and I hope you recover your planes in decent shape.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Bill G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: scottkieper

you can spend $11000.00 on a jet but you can get insurance good job
Insurance isn't all it's cracked up to be, on this type of claim. It's not as if you can just get a retail price tag for the jet, and file your claim. Processing the claim may turn out to be even further aggravation, and they will try to not give you $11k, for what the insurance company will want to deem a "toy airplane".
It would have been better if you had just politely stated that this a reason to get insurance. That still would have been a bit callous, as it's irrelevant at this point. The guy could have just moved in yesterday for all we know, and not gotten to his insurance agent to buy a policy. Probably better advice would be to make sure that you're so rich that you don't have to live in trailer rental, as statistics show there are more criminals there, who are more likely to break into their neighbor's place. That's a politically incorrect response however, and not something I would normally post as a response. Still better than the initial response.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Speed-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

I'm sorry for your loss. I don't mean to kick you when you're down, but a thief is an animal of opportunity. My wife thinks I am crazy but I lock EVERYTHING around the house including the electrical boxes and AC box on the side of my house. I have four locks on my trailer alone, two on the hitch and one on each door (the kind bolt cutters cant cut). I remove my planes from the trailer after I come home from the field, no matter how big a pain in the butt it is.

Again, I'm really sorry and I hope you recover your planes in decent shape.
Redbiscuits: I could not agree more. I also had two locks on the hitch and locks that they could not cut on the doors. They tried and failed. They then cut the door frame and got in without cutting any locks, althought they tried. My apartment is too small to hold all my planes, so the jet stayed in the trailer. I will be adding an alarm that has a siren in the trailer and flashes all the lights and a pager that will let me know a door has been opened. It also locks the electric brakes if an entry is detected. I should not have to do any of this. I ought to be able to keep the doors unlocked, but not everyone has the same values today, so the locks and alarms will go on.

Alden
Old 10-02-2012, 04:46 PM
mtnflyer14

If these criminals went to that length to get into your trailer, then it seems to me that they knew EXACTLY what was inside. My guess is that the crook(s) know you or have seen you load up your trailer and knew where you live. I don't think this was a random break-in. Best of luck in getting your airplane and gear back.
Regards,
Gus
Old 04-18-2013, 04:58 PM
thecommander

I know this thread has rippened on the vine a bit... but I just wanted to pass on a "word to the wise".

I have been a police officer for over 30 years and run the largest RC tank club in the US. Most trailers (other than an RV) have NO insurance of any kind unless they are attached to the towing vehicle at the time of the incident. Even then, fire and theft will not be covered without "Comprehensive Insurance" available at extra cost to a basic liability coverage. If it is parked on your property it may be covered thru your homeowners policy. You can insure the trailer, contents and your RC hobby planes, boats, tanks...etc, with a rider added to your current insurance. Also check on dollar limits and deducitble amounts. Special hobby insurance is also available via other underwriters.

DON"T WAIT UNTIL YOU ARE CALLING MY BROTHERS IN BLUE TO FIND OUT THE LIMITS AND SHORTCOMINGS OF YOUR CURRENT INSURANCE.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:35 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hey bro sent you a PM.

I think this is your plane on graigs list!!!!!!
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bar/4017872460.html
Old 08-22-2013, 06:44 AM
gunradd

Just looked closer at pics it even has the flyeagle sequencer with the Rhino. Its your plane bro!!! get the thief. His address is even on the graigs list post
Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 AM
jtlittle
My Feedback: (7)

The radio show Alden's name on the screen. No doubt its the stolen plane. Good job gunn!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:58 AM
drube

Get his *****!
Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Holy Crap! Has anyone called the Sarasota County Sheriff Dept. yet? Take down all the info in case this thief pulls down the ad.
I added a screen shot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	thief.png
Views:	863
Size:	916.0 KB
ID:	1911576  

Last edited by redbiscuits; 08-22-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 AM
Kenrico

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

some really needs to get on to him so he can get his plane back!
Old 08-22-2013, 09:18 AM
flyinfool1

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The OP does not appear to be real active on this site, 15 posts since 2002. I sure hope he gets this message.

I also hope that the person that posted the CL add is the thief and not some poor guy that unknowingly bought it from the real thief.

Based on the price, I don't think the CL poster has a clue what he has there.

Just so that we do not just keep saying that we hope someone does something, I did email a link to this thread to the Sarasota Sheriff.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 AM
gunradd

I PMed Adel and I also Emailed Eric Clapp at Jetcentral. Eric is in the same area and they fly at the same field also the plane has a JC engine so I hope Eric can contact him. Some one on here must know a way to get in touch with him.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 AM
two dogs
My Feedback: (12)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

he knows since about 10am
Old 08-22-2013, 10:31 AM
jws_aces
My Feedback: (33)

The way the ad is listed I am going to bet this is not the person who stole it. Instead they bought it thinking it was from the owner...if that is the case it will not be good for them when the police take it and he or she gets nothing back...this could happen to anyone of us buying used items.

Waiting to see how this one turns out.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:43 AM
gunradd

Jeff if they are in possession of stolen property it does not matter how they got it they are in deep crap. You always need to check before you buy things used.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:54 AM
jws_aces

Ok so I bought a item off of eBay tell me how you would verify it to be legit?
Old 08-22-2013, 11:00 AM
flyinfool1

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by two dogs
he knows since about 10am
Cool, I hope it works out.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:10 AM
gunradd

Originally Posted by jws_aces
Ok so I bought a item off of eBay tell me how you would verify it to be legit?
Jeff it needs to be checked in the NCIC. National Crime Information Center. The only reason I know is because I am surrounded by guys in law enforcement fixing their helicopters. I think you will need a law enforcement officer to run the check for you. Bottom line be careful what you buy used.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

This happened to a friend's daughter with a used four wheeler.

She bought it, painted it Pink and put new tires on it, then she found out that in the State of Pennsylvania it needed to be registered for off road usage, so she loaded it up in her truck and drove off to the local State Police barracks, where upon the officer reading the serial number and running the back ground check found it it was indeed stolen. The 4 wheel was immediately seized and the original owner was contacted to retrieve their equipment. My friend's daughter did get her money back from the guy she bought it from after some encouragement from the police; however, she was out the money she paid for the new tires and her Pink paint.... not sure how the original owner felt about the new paint job.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:25 AM
jws_aces

Originally Posted by gunradd
Jeff it needs to be checked in the NCIC. National Crime Information Center. The only reason I know is because I am surrounded by guys in law enforcement fixing their helicopters. I think you will need a law enforcement officer to run the check for you. Bottom line be careful what you buy used.
I agree but there are lot of non traceable items that would be hard to check out when purchasing from someone by mail order..

Rich's story was exactly what I was referring to. That girl was lucky to get any money back.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Originally Posted by gunradd
Hey bro sent you a PM.

I think this is your plane on graigs list!!!!!!
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/chl/bar/4017872460.html
Sweet!! Nice job. Looks like someone is going to pay for it.

Anything with a turbine is easy to check.... since they all have serial numbers. Never have purchased one without checking it out.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Gixxy
My Feedback: (18)

I caught word that it it has been turned over to local police. Anyone to back this ?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:19 PM
planedriver_2

Originally Posted by Gixxy
I caught word that it it has been turned over to local police. Anyone to back this ?
I'm not sure if Alden has seen this or was notified but i let a close friend of his in on the recent post on this and let's see what happens.

Whoa !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.