Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Whats so special about jets?

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Whats so special about jets?

Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 PM
FenderBean

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Whats so special about jets?

Welcome to my Friday night special edition of bean vision(yes its another Blue Moon productions!) LOL So I am sitting here at 10:30 finishing up my new gear install and it hit me, even after all the head ache/flustrations, that I really enjoy jets. I have been building planes and helis for 20+ years and jets for a year + and I find myself enjoying the challenge. The flying part is easy, my f-16 flies like a tame pattern plane on a calm day, but what floats my boat is the build/setup to jets(which sucks because my pay doesn't support it). Granted my experience is limited to one brand but from all the reading/research its the norm.
Take for example rc helis, this year at IRCHA they had over a 1000+ pilots! All of them are stick banging beyond their ability to get the wow factor, at KY jets they had a 1/4 of that but every flight was a wow factor. So it got me thinking what exactly is the wow factor about jets? Is it the sound? The speed, or just the challenge of the build?
Old 09-21-2012, 08:11 PM
Eddie P
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Whats so special about jets?

Jets are what I like in real aircraft. Anything jet powered is cool. Corporate jets, airliners, fighters, older jet warbirds, etc. The smooth power, the sound, the smell, the speed, the aerodynamic looks of the jet designs. The elegant designs, fit and finish of an aerodynamic work of art that is also a work horse - a blend of everything man kind has wanted to do for eons. Jets represent the best of aviation to me.

If I want something "hard to fly" I'll make a Wright Brothers Flyer or fly my heli. If I want something "sweet and on rails" I'll enjoy a jet. Smooth mid speed fly bys.. and the power of a vertical climb and the energy of higher mass that leads to a butter smooth huge loop or vertical reversal is really cool to me. I also like scale. There is nothing cooler in scale than a turbine jet. You have the excess performance to carry a little extra weight and the sound and thunderous roar is hard to beat if you like it in real life aircraft too.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:33 PM
FenderBean

I like your style
Old 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM
Jim Cattanach

The wow factor is, how many $$$ did you say this kit is going to cost me. My new car cost less than that.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 PM
FenderBean

LOL thats funny yeah I really hate the cost, between my three jets I could have bought a nice new car. Still trying to figure that one out, you can get a giant war bird in same material for less I have found im almost embarresed to say how much I have in my f-16 alone LOL
ORIGINAL: Jim Cattanach

The wow factor is, how many $$$ did you say this kit is going to cost me. My new car cost less than that.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Couch Potato

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's just the pilots that are "special". [X(]
Old 09-21-2012, 11:45 PM
dubd

I was born and raised on US Air Force bases... Jets are in my blood.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:06 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That's not jets in your blood, its Kero.

Mike
Old 09-22-2012, 01:59 PM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I find jet pilots to be a great bunch of guys, very friendly.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

I only partly agree with that. Sure... there is a "WOW" when you see someone drag out a $20k jet.... but I get a wow factor from my "Dollar Store" jets all the same. (I have well under $1500 into any one of my jets)

I think the "WOW" comes from the essence of what it is. It's a Turbine... it's small... and it actually runs !!!!! Also... unlike a little glow engine... it sounds, and smells like the real thing.

I'm right with Eddie on his performance thoughts. If jet's were hard to fly... I wouldn't do it. I would simply have an engine on a stand, and I would play with it once in a while. I'm not the typical Jet-Jock. I fly at half power most of the time, and keep it well under 100 mph. But watching my jets fly past... smooth... and then pull up for a full throttle climb out.... and nothing has put a bigger smile on my face in RC in a very long time.

I can honestly say.... the actual "JET" air frame isn't it at all. In my +30 years of flying RC... I've never owned a pusher-Jet, or an EDF. Neither one does anything for me. I have recently thought about an EDF... but every time I look at them... I think to myself... "Why spend the money?"

It's 100% the engine, and what it brings to the party. So... the Hart of the model, moves the Soul of the pilot.
Old 09-22-2012, 03:50 PM
willig10

From an "audience" stand point the wow factor is the anticipation of seeing a jet doing a full speed pass and plowing into the ground with an ensuing fireball. No really when a 10 to 20k+ RC jet balls up the WOW factor for the audience is way cool.

From a modelers perspective we hate to see it happenbut know at anytime it can happen.

My 2 cents worth.

Glenn Williams
Old 09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: willig10

From an ''audience'' stand point the wow factor is the anticipation of seeing a jet doing a full speed pass and plowing into the ground with an ensuing fireball. No really when a 10 to 20k+ RC jet balls up the WOW factor for the audience is way cool.

From a modelers perspective we hate to see it happen but know at anytime it can happen.

My 2 cents worth.

Glenn Williams
Gee, can you say "nimrod?!?"

Bob
Old 09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
mike31
My Feedback: (67)

Nimrod means hunter!
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM
willig10

If it makes you feel better to call me a nimrod to smooth your over inflated ego, go right ahead. Take a poll there bud and you will find what I wrote is exactly true. Re-read my post.

Glenn Williams
Old 09-22-2012, 06:52 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tony. I agree with your take on it right down the wire. Except, I once thought the very same way you did when it comes to an EDF. I thought out loud I would never have one of them in my house. I also use to tell my employees to never say never. Lol. I have four now. Lmbo. Take a real close look at some of the Youtubes on a CMP L-39 90 mm EDF. They get cooler every time I watch them. Mine came in the mail last week. Ha. Ha. You will come over to the dark side. Lol.
ORIGINAL: Dr Honda

I only partly agree with that. Sure... there is a ''WOW'' when you see someone drag out a $20k jet.... but I get a wow factor from my ''Dollar Store'' jets all the same. (I have well under $1500 into any one of my jets)

I think the ''WOW'' comes from the essence of what it is. It's a Turbine... it's small... and it actually runs !!!!! Also... unlike a little glow engine... it sounds, and smells like the real thing.

I'm right with Eddie on his performance thoughts. If jet's were hard to fly... I wouldn't do it. I would simply have an engine on a stand, and I would play with it once in a while. I'm not the typical Jet-Jock. I fly at half power most of the time, and keep it well under 100 mph. But watching my jets fly past... smooth... and then pull up for a full throttle climb out.... and nothing has put a bigger smile on my face in RC in a very long time.

I can honestly say.... the actual ''JET'' air frame isn't it at all. In my +30 years of flying RC... I've never owned a pusher-Jet, or an EDF. Neither one does anything for me. I have recently thought about an EDF... but every time I look at them... I think to myself... ''Why spend the money?''

It's 100% the engine, and what it brings to the party. So... the Hart of the model, moves the Soul of the pilot.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:02 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

For me, the wow factor is finally having a model plane with a powerplant that sound almost identical to the real thing. I have built and flown planes powered by large gas twin cylinder engines, and gas burning radial engines, and neither of these powerplants provide the realistic sound you get from the turbine-powered models. [8D]
Old 09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

ORIGINAL: mike31

Nimrod means hunter!
That wasn't the connotation I was using - look it up again...

Glenn, how do you know anything about my ego? If you go to the flying field to see planes crash, I don't want you anywhere around, plain and simple.

I know, I know, feeding the trolls...

Bob
Old 09-22-2012, 09:48 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

I'm right there with you Eddy, I love the complexcity of the rc jets systems, I have spend many hours working on many jets to get them ready for the maiden flight, nothing is more rewarding for me to see that jet performe flowlesly.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:32 AM
willig10

I am not the one coming to see a crash, i am a modeler as well. That is why I said re-read my post. I know about your ego as the comment you made was to call me a name right off the bat, 

Glenn Williams
Old 09-23-2012, 07:44 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What planet do you live on.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM
FenderBean

Yeah I can spend hours just trying to find a nice clean cool looking layout design for all the equipment in the jet. I hate for nothing to not work perfect, I went flying yesterday for the first time with a new gear and first flight they didnt come up. These new gear are hard on electric conversions, so I have been bothered for a day. That being said even with the gear down it flew great! I got a digital pitch gauge for me FBL heli and used it to set my elevators, pretty cool how a fraction of a degree can make a difference in something. The jet tracks and flies much better
ORIGINAL: CARS II

I'm right there with you Eddy, I love the complexcity of the rc jets systems, I have spend many hours working on many jets to get them ready for the maiden flight, nothing is more rewarding for me to see that jet performe flowlesly.
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Nimrod means hunter!
Vegetarian means Bad Hunter!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:00 AM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

Nimrod means hunter!
Vegetarian means Bad Hunter!
LMBO.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:16 AM
hairy46
My Feedback: (1)

Even being I do not own a jet I am very happy they are out there. Love to watch them
Fly. Nothing sounds more real then a jet!
Old 09-23-2012, 08:19 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 126 Likes on 87 Posts

They hit the ground faster than anything I have ever flown

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.