Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

What happened?

Hi guys,

Any of you ever had the following happen to you?

This afternoon I was busy with my final setup on a jet that I have just finished. I was busy setting the flaps and during adjustment the plane went dead. Dead in the sense that all the servo's went quite and nothing would respond. However, the Rx and Tx were still switched on. I switched the Rx off and on again, but still no response. Then I switched off everything including the Tx. After a few seconds I switched everything on again and all was working again.

BTW, all the batteries were fully charged and I was using 2.4ghz. I would prefer not to mention the radio equipment brand, but will say that it is a major brand and I am using their very latest and best equipment. All the equipment is new and never used before, other than the Tx which I use on my other jets. The Rx switch is a PowerBox Sensor with two Fromeco packs connected.

Any comments?

Regards,

Jan
    It is always pilot error.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: What happened?

Sounds like your PowerBox ? was there any light on in your RX?
    It's a hobby - keep it simple

www.332ndredtail.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Some of the main stream Tx's have a power/trasmit off if the sticks are not moved for a period of time, I know that sometimes when adjusting things the time just fly's by.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: BaldEagel

I know that sometimes when adjusting things the time just fly's by.

Mike
    Yup! happened to me while setting up the F-104. The batteries just died out from all the fiddling and setting up. Charged them up and she was good to go.
    Club NO MAX! No boarder..No Limits..No POLITICS! NO "MAX"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

SCARY!
    Yellow Aircraft, JetCat Engines and Turn Key Jets
    yellowaircraftplanesdotcom

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My radio would do this if if you did not touch it for 15 minutes or so. But the receiver would go into failsafe so the servos would still be powered up.

Hard to troubleshoot without knowing the radio, otherwise finger points at the powerbox.
    Matt

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Never had it happen... and there is NO WAY I would fly it until I got a 100% positive answer on what happend.

I'd say turn it all on, and give it 20~30 min to see if it does it again.
    Tony
    Owner of A&L Motorsports, LLC

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

+1 for what Tony said............

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Tony,

Good idea.

Yesterday, without recharging the two batteries, I turned the whole lot on for more than a hour. Every few minutes I moved the sticks and sliders/switches etc. Everything worked perfectly and I had not done nothing to the plane in between having the problem and testing it again. When I switched off, the two batteries were down to 7.3 and 7.5 volts respectively - which on my PowerBox Sensor 5.5 volt regulated switch was still fine. I have now recharged the batteries.

At which stage do I decide all is well? Hate not being able to pinpoint the cause of the shutdown.

Cheers,

Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Switch on and do not touch the sticks and see what happens, you have had two post that tell you the Tx will switch off if you don't move the sticks, try to see if that is the problem you encountered on post one.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yep... don't touch it for a while. Also... put it in the same place. I know the metal topped tables at one field I fly at causes all kinds of strange issues. Also... the florescent lights in my garage have known to cause a glitch or two.

Finally... if you can't reproduce the issue... at the minimum... I would re-bind the system, and disconnect/reconnect every plug.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike and Tony, OK I will switch on and leave the lot without touching anything and see how it goes. But let me just reiterate, I was using the flaps and other surfaces during the adjustment and setup, I had not left the system switched on without touching anything when the problem occured. I am working on a plastic table, within a metal cladded shed under flourescent lights that are 4 to 5 meters away. I have 12 other jets that are exactly the same setup and have never had this problem. If I cannot replicate the problem I will probably change the Rx, re-bind and also change the switch. May I just say, that I have had contact with another person who is having exactly the same problem, with pretty much the same equipment. We have so far isolated the problem to the Rx or the switch or a specific servo function. Hopefully, between us we will get to the root of this problem and report back once we have isolated the culprit. Thank you for the help. Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good luck with it. I would hate to see you loose a model... and a solution may help someone else too.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure sounds like an issue at the tx end to me.

It's too bad that after you shut off the rx and turned back on with no success that you shut down BOTH rx and tx as your next step. It would have been interesting to know for sure if just turning the tx on/ off would have "fixed" it.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Mike and Tony,

OK I did as requested. Turned the system on and left it alone completely. At 27 minutes the Tx alerted me that it will auto shut down in 3 minutes time. The alert continued until it shut down and switched off at exactly 30 minutes. I never touched anything. After that I switched on the Tx, without touching the Rx switch, and everything worked fine. So no problem there.

However, let me repeat, this is not what happened to me in the first place. My Tx never switched off, my Rx switch never switched off (unfortunately I did not check the Rx as it is buried away inside the guts of the model) ONLY the servo's went quite and did not respond to any Tx inputs.

As mentioned before, there are two of us (on two different continents) that has had the same problem. We have narrowed it down to the Rx, the dual battery switch and the flap function being adjusted during setup. We will continue to try and replicate the problem and if it happens again (the other person had it happen after 10 minutes again whilst setting up, like me, but then changed Rx, Switch, Tx and two flap servo's - including changing to a different radio system) we will report back. The second guy has had 10 successful flights since he made the changes and will go back to the original equipment to see if he can replicate the problem. So obviously not an installation problem.

I can assure you that I will change the RX, switch and servo's if I cannot find the problem. I don't believe it is my Tx as I use it all the time on numerous other models.

Regards,

Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Jan

I had a problem with a powerbox Srs where the SBus power feed to the futabe rx's failed after about 10 mins during setup but never came back. Worked fine if I selected a different brand of rx but still failed on the futaba setting. ended up running a patch lead for power.
    Bart

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well at least we have eliminated that particular item as the possible cause.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My Futaba 12Z will shut down after 30 minutes of no activity. This is a battery saver feature.
    If it\'\'s worth doing, it\'\'s worth doing it right.
    AMA 779352, JPO 1965, IMAA 40337

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Aussie Bart

Hi Jan

I had a problem with a powerbox Srs where the SBus power feed to the futabe rx's failed after about 10 mins during setup but never came back. Worked fine if I selected a different brand of rx but still failed on the futaba setting. ended up running a patch lead for power.

Shane,

I have both battery/switch leads going into the Rx as I always do on all my models with dual batteries. BTW, I don't use any PowerBox or EmcoTech type devices as mentioned in my posts.

Guys,

Yesterday it happened again. This time I checked to see if the Rx was on, it was not. When I touched it, it turned on, then went off again. This time it would not come on when being touched. I did not have another Rx or Sensor switch with me to swap so I could not check further. Decided to take the model apart and discovered that the one flap servo was extremely hot (the plane had not been switched on for more than 5 minutes when it went dead), but the other flap servo was not hot. The flaps are not binding in the fully up position so I'm thinking the one flap servo may be faulty.

I will do some more testing.

Cheers,

Jan

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm with you on changing the flap servo and I would not use that receiver untill it was tested then I would fly it on a prop airplane to make sure.

I got me a Futaba 14ch receiver for my Boomer about a month ago and yes, it got flown on one of my prop airplanes first.

Thank you for shearing.
    Carlos R.
    Go fly a Jet today.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Might be your Pb sensor switch, if the flap servo jammed and overheated, may have caused damage or shut down the switch. That switch and built in regs are only rated for 5amps cont.

Mike

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Might be your Pb sensor switch, if the flap servo jammed and overheated, may have caused damage or shut down the switch. That switch and built in regs are only rated for 5amps cont.

Mike
    Plug a wattmeter or ammeter between the battery and the rx/pb, and monitor the current.. you def have one binding, I agree w Todd.. it likely got hot and shut down.. Its imperative you get your static amp load down to the min.. most planes have less than .5 amp.. most of mine are around .3 or so..

Goose
    Wren Turbines USA, Fromeco Avionics, JetiUSA Flight Team, www.Espritmodel.com www.demonaero.com