Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Weatronics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Weatronics

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM
rcand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weatronics

I know we have heard enough about JR and Futaba, but I have not seen anything on Weatronics. Supposedly used successfully in Europe and their 2.4 is supposed to handle up to 200 radios on at a time. Anyone used their 2.4 or know much about them?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:38 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Weatronics

I am on my 3rd WEatronic receiver - 12-22, gyro3, gps, 2.4. Gerhard has been very good with getting things to me as quickly as possible but I think has been held up at times from Weatronic-Germany.

The product works great and allows outstanding redundancy and the abilty to program all servos, not only all channels.

I hope that the company can keep up with demand. I will also listen to what others have to say as well.

My other radio is a JR 10X/12x/1221/1222....

Dave
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
Modellbau USA
My Feedback: (5)

Just a quick update on Weatronics, Stock has been a little difficult to keep upto demand but Germany has caught up and is in full swing. Wewill be receiving a very large order of stock for Weatronics in about to weeks, enough to supply to anybody that needs our product. If there are any questions or orders needed please contact Modellbau or Weatronics USA for details. Modellbau USA is now the exclusivedistributer for Central and South America for all Weatronics needes

Old 02-25-2011, 06:06 PM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

Such is the outstanding performance, quality and reliability of Weatronics I am converting my entire fleet, including some serious heavy metal, to this system, 11 receivers. Still not a single failsafe frame and I assess every flight by running the SD data card through the analytical software.

The DUAL FHSS receiver, incredible servo programming ability with Giga Control, (vastly simplifying the most complex control system setups) and downlink with data recording of almost all parameters within the Tx and Rx places this system years ahead of FAAST and DSM and vastly more capable than either of these systems. It also greatly expands the capability of even the simplest Tx.

Add to that the downlink with associated warnings of critical parameters such as battery voltage and Rf strengths, , automatic battery checking at switch on , integrated gyros, programmable to any channel or individual servo, in any way, even in the tiny 8 ch receiver, and upto 8 regulators with selctable voltage plus GPS option makes this a truly professional, state of the art, system which leaves all other systems far far behind.

Fly a sailplane? Install a Weatronics Vario such that with the downlink you have an audible vario just like a fullsize sailplane !

There is another thread here concerning the loss of a BVM F86. There is a very good chance that the Weatronics system could have warned him of impending problems, or at least would have revealed exactly what was going on in the electronics right up to the point of impact as the data is stored in the tx.

Pleae note that I am NOT a rep. but I am so impressed with this superb system I give Weatronics every support and encouragement and I believe, know, that this system significantly improves the safety of our operations.

Regards,

David.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Modellbau USA

Dave what you have said is very true. We have actually tested the weatronics system on one of our UAV's using an fpv camera in a controlled military enviromentand were able to get 5.9 miles away before welost signal and the return to home feature activated on our aircraft and cameback.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:19 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

This thread is about 31 pages long concerning Weatronics...
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9129187/tm.htm
Old 02-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

3 Micro RX 12 channel and two more coming my way

And if you still want to hear about Futaba, I use Weatronics with the 12FG
Old 02-25-2011, 08:48 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a GREAT system and needs a slight learning curve to get the most out of it.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:01 AM
fireblade5437

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have tried twice to get a system from Weatronics first time i got to the point of them asking how I wanted to pay then I replied 3 times with emails and no response so I gave up

So last week I tried again, MX22 Tx with a 12ch with III Gyro again it has been over a week with no response!

I know it's a great system as David Gladwin keeps telling me but it would be good to be able to purchase one in the first place for me to find out for myself!

Will be in Germany in March for work so I am going to ask my work friends if they can try and ring them and see if they can get any sense out of them! [&o]

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Weatronics in Germany?

Just at Heathrow waiting for Flight to JFK, wife spotted the A380 Quantas on the tarmac and thought it was ugly!!!

Alan
Old 02-26-2011, 06:49 AM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About a yr ago I was looking for a 2.4GIG radio for my jets. I wanted the best RF link I could buy. I read all the user reports I could find and decided on the Weatronic Micro 12 channel which I used with the Futaba 9C transmitter. I have been flying two receivers in nitro powered test airplanes and now have one in a TG F-15. The radios have been flawless.

I ran one ground range check where I was able to go 2700 ft line of site. At about 1500ft from the plane I went under a very high voltage power line with no loss of control. When I looked at the log file you could see the dinimished RF strength but no loss of control. I built hobby R/C radios for 16 yrs (1968-1983) and personally feel that Weatronic is the best RF link available at the present time.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:59 AM
Modellbau USA

Alan Im sorry about you having problems getting a weatronics sytem. Unfortunatly after the resent passing of one of the founders and partner of the company they needed to restructure and move ops to another location. They are now up and running 100%, we have recieved lots of stock and we are expecting to recieve more in 2 weeks. If there is anything we can do to help please let us know.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:14 AM
747junky

Well Weatronics is the best system Ihave used. Ihave some bad experience with JR when Ilost a Jet last year when Igot locked out. Futaba is a good system but Ireally dont like the programming. I have pourchased a Graupner MX24 with Weatronics and I have been very very happy. The best thing I like about the system is that a few months ago I was flying my lighting and the module started beeping becuase something was wrong and Ilanded immediatly. When I got home I connected upto GiGa control and it advised me that one of my battery pack pooped out and I was operating only on one. Now that is grewat if you ask me
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM
ddennison

I am considering another weatronic receiver. I have three and all have worked well the last two were 2.4.

In the past I have ordered form Gerhard at the USA site. I have not heard back after wiriting to him a few weeks ago. I also looked on Dreamworks and found none in stock (12-22 gyro III, gps).

I am back to wondering if I am wasting more time trying to find support for this equipment?

I do really enjoy the performance and information that this system provides and was considering a Wx Tx if they ever become available in the US. My next project needs a radio soon and I am considering J2 1222 and HV Servos versus another 12-22 gyro/gps.

Has anyone else ordered and received a 12-22 gyor/gps recently in the US? Where did you get it?

Thanks
Dave
Old 11-03-2012, 12:29 PM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Dave,

My last order for Weatronic equipment was in late spring. I order direct from the German Weatronic website's online shopping cart ( weatronic.com). Even though I am in Canada, I am close to the USA border and ship to my USA mail box to avoid excessive Canadian import costs. There are no import costs in the USA.

There is no issue ordering direct from Germany with the Online shopping system and you will find that the prices are MUCH better than Weatronic USA. (who never has stock anyway). Remember that when you do the price conversion you must first remove the 19% German VAT tax as it will not be applied to your sale because you are outside the Euro Union.

Once you register with the site and provide your location information, the prices will eliminate the VAT for you. Then you will just do a straight Euro conversion to work out US $ prices.

Shipping to USA is 21 Euro's = $28 USD as of today.

BTW, the shopping cart works great, it'll take about 2 weeks from time of order to receive it. Don't bother to email them, Weatronic does not seem to respond to emails. Just use the online ordering and all will be good

Mike
Old 11-03-2012, 01:40 PM
ddennison

Thanks Mike, I may give it a try!
Dave
Old 11-03-2012, 07:13 PM
ddennison

I know the oher "diagnostic tool" site has some of this information but I have a few questions for those who have bought things in the last year or so...

I have an older (2-3 years) version of the Tx antennae and cable from the tx module to the patch antennae. Is the newer one fitted with a better patch-module wire/plug?
Can I change mine to a better one? Should I buy a new Tx antennae - is it any diffrent than a few years ago?

What is the current version of giga control? And what version is the latest greatest for the receiver and transmitter firmware?

Thanks for the information,
Dave
Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 PM
ddennison

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Hello Dave,

My last order for Weatronic equipment was in late spring. I order direct from the German Weatronic website's online shopping cart ( weatronic.com). Even though I am in Canada, I am close to the USA border and ship to my USA mail box to avoid excessive Canadian import costs. There are no import costs in the USA.

There is no issue ordering direct from Germany with the Online shopping system and you will find that the prices are MUCH better than Weatronic USA. (who never has stock anyway). Remember that when you do the price conversion you must first remove the 19% German VAT tax as it will not be applied to your sale because you are outside the Euro Union.

Once you register with the site and provide your location information, the prices will eliminate the VAT for you. Then you will just do a straight Euro conversion to work out US $ prices.

Shipping to USA is 21 Euro's = $28 USD as of today.

BTW, the shopping cart works great, it'll take about 2 weeks from time of order to receive it. Don't bother to email them, Weatronic does not seem to respond to emails. Just use the online ordering and all will be good

Mike
Mike,

Is there anything that you do when ordering to make sure that I will get a US compatible system?

Thanks
Dave

Old 11-04-2012, 05:30 AM
luv2flyrc

Dave,

their products are all FCC'd if that's what you mean so, no worries there.

Other than FCC the only issue with US compatability that I'm aware of is with Futaba transmitters as Futaba region codes their transmitters and the WEA FASST adapter module will not work with a USA coded transmitter.

Hope that helps

Mike
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: ddennison

I know the oher "diagnostic tool" site has some of this information but I have a few questions for those who have bought things in the last year or so...

I have an older (2-3 years) version of the Tx antennae and cable from the tx module to the patch antennae. Is the newer one fitted with a better patch-module wire/plug?
Can I change mine to a better one? Should I buy a new Tx antennae - is it any diffrent than a few years ago?

What is the current version of giga control? And what version is the latest greatest for the receiver and transmitter firmware?

Thanks for the information,
Dave
Dave, I can answer some of these for you too:

You have the DV3 module, the current DV4 uses the the exact same cable and connector. Some people have created "fixes" for it, I use it as stock and have not had any issues however: I don't remove and swap the module to switch back and forth, I suspect if you do, you will have cable problems.

I have both the DV3 and DV4. For my purposes, there has been no difference although, I suspect the newer one has some capabilities that the older one doesn't have.

I know that right on the label, the DV3 states 12channels while the DV4 states 12-16 channels so, I suspect that there will be a software update in the future to allow for 16 channels.

Current version of Giga Control is V2.59, current tx module is V2.61, all receivers are V2.59

Mike

Old 11-05-2012, 01:12 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

You have the DV3 module, the current DV4 uses the the exact same cable and connector. Some people have created ''fixes'' for it, I use it as stock and have not had any issues however: I don't remove and swap the module to switch back and forth, I suspect if you do, you will have cable problems.
Unfortunately you don't need to swap it to encounter the trouble Mike. I have a tx dedicated to the Wea system so the module is never moved but after 2 years my cable connector went faulty, and I read of users on the German forum who have also not moved the module but their cable connector became faulty. There is no escaping the fact that it is an appalling design of a critical part yet Wea refused to change it when they had the chance to with the design of the DV4 module.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:46 AM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: HarryC

You have the DV3 module, the current DV4 uses the the exact same cable and connector. Some people have created ''fixes'' for it, I use it as stock and have not had any issues however: I don't remove and swap the module to switch back and forth, I suspect if you do, you will have cable problems.
Unfortunately you don't need to swap it to encounter the trouble Mike. I have a tx dedicated to the Wea system so the module is never moved but after 2 years my cable connector went faulty, and I read of users on the German forum who have also not moved the module but their cable connector became faulty. There is no escaping the fact that it is an appalling design of a critical part yet Wea refused to change it when they had the chance to with the design of the DV4 module.
I hear you Harry, the cable does worry me. It's too bad, as you say, that they didn't take advantage of the module redesign to change it. Otherwise, it's a bullet proof system. If only someone else offered something competitive, I'd be all over it, as I'm growing tired of the poor customer support.

Mike

Old 11-05-2012, 04:17 AM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

as I'm growing tired of the poor customer support.
The quality of the equipment and of the design is not all it's cracked up to be, some elements like the cable are dangerously unfit for purpose and some like the GPS are so suspect as to be near useless. Sad git that I am I have actually typed a list of the faults I have encountered with Weatronic, there are 20 of them and I have copied them below. Some are vital like the cable, some are minor, and some are just highly irritating but Wea's arrogant refusal to listen to customers and correct the deficiencies is highly off-putting.

1. tx module cable is not fit for purpose.
2. Socket spacing on micro rx too narrow for servo plugs to fit.
3. internal gyros subject to acoustic interference.
4. signal limit 1-2ms is smaller than Multiplex tx signal, creating dead zones at end of stick travel.
5. firmware updates not backward compatible so if buy new rx and is newer firmware, have to update all tx and all rx in order to get that one new rx to work!
6. firmware update requires back up of all rx as well so that failsafe settings not lost. Don’t think that because not programmed otherwise that you don’t need to back it up, failsafes will be lost.
7. micro rx failsafe setting via jumper plug has software bug, only sets some channels and resets all other to factory default.
8. only way to alter failsafe is via PC which is crap if go to a meet and they declare change to throttle failsafe and you have no laptop. Why can’t it just be a simple button press on the rx like Multiplex?
9. servo slow does not behave as expected, it goes straight line from end point to end point and does not follow any programmed curve so can’t be used for sequencing.
10. no English language speech file despite being promised for years.
11. telemetry sensor system demands that an expensive Mux box be used to connect sensors to Rx, smaller models will not have space or weight capability for mux box, and who wants cost of mux box in every model? Should have been serial bus like Multiplex, no additional boxes required.
12. GPS very inaccurate.
13. tx module buttons have no feel – DV3 module
14. why need to re-bind every time change rx/model?
15. range test setting – only lasts 60 seconds, can make continue another 60s with button press but due to poor buttons often doesn’t work. Near impossible to put into range test mode then start turbine etc and keep in range test mode long enough.
16. data log fills in blanks with old data instead of leaving blank, making you think data was received and following false data when there is actually none.
17. gigacontrol top line shows wrong file on rx. Maybe fixed with more recent versions?
18. Wea releases firmware updates too early without testing then they or users find the bugs and the firmware is updated again sometimes within 24 hrs.
19. gyros do not have fade-out feature, this can be programmed but is not easy, and is very complex if want different gains for different phases of flight and still have fade-out.
20. inadequate or even no instruction manuals.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:51 PM
Falcon 64

After seeing my friends ASH-31 sailplane going down in ballistic manner on the third flight, I`ll never ever buy Weatronic equipment. NEVER.
It costed 9K USD. And a top competition pilot flew it.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:56 PM
luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: H�rek

After seeing my friends ASH-31 sailplane going down in ballistic manner on the third flight, I`ll never ever buy Weatronic equipment. NEVER.
It costed 9K USD. And a top competition pilot flew it.
The beauty of this system is that you should be able to see what went wrong. What did the data log tell him? Maybe you could post the file on RCU. Pilots and planes crash all the time, it's not necessarily the radio.

Mike

Old 11-08-2012, 02:40 PM
Falcon 64

I don`t have the data, but it was sendt to Weatronic for analysis.
Weatronic said one of the reasons could be pilot error, I doubt that since it spiraled very steep from 300 M.
It`s a "talker", and no one I know use Weatronics in jets here anymore, before this incident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.