Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

LiMn?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 02:28 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LiMn?

I am wondering if LiMn batteries are on the way out?
I have them in most of my jets, love them. I went to look for some for my next project and they aren't listed on the duralite site anymore.
I have enjoyed the power and safety of these...
If these aren't around anymore I need to decide on searching another 7.4 v option or go down to 6.6v for servos plus decide on how much I want to change for my jetcat ecu packs...
Thanks for any information
Dave
Old 10-14-2012, 03:49 PM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: LiMn?

Hi Dave:

Todd and Global Jet Club still have the 4300maH LiMn bats, but they have a JR standard output lead for $90.00.

I always have spare 14 ga wire with Multiplex plugs I save from old ECU packs.....I remove the yellow shrink wrap cover, unsolder the JR plug and re-solder with the 14 ga wire and Multiplex plug and re-shrink. I got a bunch of shrink wrap from Andy Low at ED, but there are lots of other sources.

Another newer choice that Todd has is the Duralite 3 cell 9.9v 3800 LiFePO4 flat packs......they are a solid 20C pack and can be charged with any A123 charger, of course. About the same size and weight as the flat pack LiMn were. You do have to have ECU updated by JetCat for A123 or LiFePO4 use. You can use standard 3-cell A123, but they are rather bulky. They all can be recharged at 4 amps with the appropriate charger.

Finally, LiMn are just another form of LiPo using Mn rather than Cobalt......they are felt to be safe, mainly because of the charge safety circuit, but as far as the chemistry, not much, if any safer than a Cobalt LiPo, so you can use any 7.4v/4000 Lipo. I have been using an older ThunderPower on my Boomerang for over 2 years with a Titan on it....a cheapo car pack that I updated with a Multiplex plug.

TA