Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are Futaba likely to release Jetcat telemetry?

Does anyone know if Futaba is likely to release a turbine ECU telemetry interface (primarily interested in Jetcat but Xicoy Fadec would be good too)?

I'm in desperate need for a new TX but can't decide what to get. If the 18MZ is likely to get this function in the future then I might give it a try. If not, I might try Multiplex.
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Are Futaba likely to release Jetcat telemetry?

same here... i would love a fuel warning.
    Kasper H
    JetCat P300RX 1:5,5 F-16 - Better to have too much power and not need it, than need it and not have it

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Actually it goes the other way around, the Turbine ECU manufacturer would need to release info about how to communicate with their system, in the case of the Xicoy unit I have been told (read rumor) that Gasper would not release the communication format to Eagle Tree who wanted to write an interface for their telemetry equipment. Like I said I don’t know if that is true or not, my only point is both parties have to be in agreement in order for it to happen
    Rich
    The New Jet Central Rhino SP, Cheetah, & Super Eagle owner

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I thought the bigger problem was sourcing the radio code.

There are aftermarket telemetry units for both Jetcat and Xicoy available for Multiplex so it seems that it is possible to retrieve the info fairly easily from the ECU. If these interfaces have been reverse engineered then I assume that there may be some licensing issues but considering that Spektrum have released a Jetcat interface then it seems possible.

www.hobbytronic.dk
    www.ukjetshop.com
    UK Dealer for Bavarian Demon and Emcotec. Reseller of Ashlock connectors,

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Great info, I will be watching this thread with interest.
    I like you hope that Futaba comes out with telemetry
    Rich
    The New Jet Central Rhino SP, Cheetah, & Super Eagle owner

The only thing I'm waiting for is for Futaba to reveal the protocol for SBUS2. I am waiting (now for almost 7 months...) for Futaba/Japan to get back with NDA agreements etc, when that happens (if ever), I will make a new version of my JetCat Info display ( http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9525286/tm.htm ) with SBUS2 output (and also for my AoA sensor).
    Maybe others are working on it already, would sure be nice!

The problem with the way Futaba has made the 18MZ/telemetry, is that the transmitter has to "know" of all the possible sensors in a system, you can't "invent" a new type of sensor without it being incorporated in the software in the transmitter. So the only hope would be to emulate some of the known sensors (RPM,temperature etc)
    Carsten Groen

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCISFUN

Actually it goes the other way around, the Turbine ECU manufacturer would need to release info about how to communicate with their system, in the case of the Xicoy unit I have been told (read rumor) that Gasper would not release the communication format to Eagle Tree who wanted to write an interface for their telemetry equipment. Like I said I don’t know if that is true or not, my only point is both parties have to be in agreement in order for it to happen
    The JetCat interface is pretty simple, well documented, and JetCat will provide it upon request. We've interfaced both AMT and JetCat turbines to our flight control systems (i.e., autopilots) to monitor the engine performance and telemeter the info. to the ground station.

In both those cases, there really isn't anything that you can "learn" about the systems or how they work by looking at the external interfaces and having a 3rd party develop something that talks to it generally adds value to your product, so I'm not sure what the secrecy might be about in the Xicoy case...

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Carsten Groen

The problem with the way Futaba has made the 18MZ/telemetry, is that the transmitter has to ''know'' of all the possible sensors in a system, you can't ''invent'' a new type of sensor without it being incorporated in the software in the transmitter. So the only hope would be to emulate some of the known sensors (RPM,temperature etc)
    That's actually not surprising and I'd bet that the Spektrum system is the same way. The display of the information needs to be customized on the ground side to show it in a meaningful way (e.g., airspeed dial, battery voltage "LED" tree, etc.), so there has to be a software change on the TX for a new type of sensor anyway. When you modify that, its easy to modify the packet decoding on the ground side as well to properly read, decode, and scale the new data as necessary. A simple software change to the TX and bam, you've got a JetCat turbine RPM display on your TX.

We do the same thing on our Ground Control Station and modifying the XML description of the packet format and adding a new "widget" to the display to show the data takes someone familiar with the process less than 15 minutes - recompiling the C# code for Windows [:'(] sometimes takes longer...

Of course that does mean that Futaba is going to have to be involved in adding new sensors to their telemetry system - at least on the TX side, unless you "fake" an existing sensor like you said. I'll bet the same is true of Spektrum - the telemetry displays of theirs that I've seen only display certain types of data and don't (that I've seen) have any provision for "adding" new data displays. Anybody know for sure?

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bob,
    From the looks of it, there is no airspeed sensor in the 18Z software. Did I miss that? I can't imagine why A/S wouldn't be included.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Chris Smith

Bob,
    From the looks of it, there is no airspeed sensor in the 18Z software. Did I miss that? I can't imagine why A/S wouldn't be included.
    I have not seen an airspeed sensor for the 18MZ anywhere. I too am at a loss to figure out why...

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

would love to get JetCat telemetry on the 18MZ,

The GPS Sensor for the 18MZ gives you Ground speed. if that's what you guys mean.
    SBS-01G GPS Sensor

SBS-01G GPS Sensor
    Displays longitude, latitude, altitude, distance (surface and slant), speed and rate of climb/descent.
    Features built-in atmospheric pressure sensor.
    Weight: 0.375 oz (10.7 g). Speed: 0-311 mph (0-500 kph)
    Altitude: 766-6015 yd (700-5500 m)
    Variometer: -336 to +336 mph (-150 to +150 m/s)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Carbon-Customs

same here... i would love a fuel warning.
    Easy to do with a normal amp meter for electric planes. Just have it set of an alarm when XX mAh went through to the fuel pump. :-)
    /Henke
    www.youtube.com/henke2
    Ready2fly Yak-130 "Mitten", Lambert Kolibri T35 - Пенопласт летчик-истребитель

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Are you guys aware that JetCat has offered the low fuel warning that is setable by the user for the past 13 years? It is in the ECU.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, but one that does not reduce power from the engine would be good.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You can set it up to just work a light. has been that way since 2004. The power reduction option is user setable.
    John Redman
    JetCat USA

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just a note regarding GPS speed, I know some folks have mentioned it's available. I suppose it's interesting info, but GPS speeds are useless from an aircraft handling point of view.

GPS speed is not A/S but rather it is only a calculated ground speed. The airplane's wings don't see nor care how fast they are moving over the ground, nor does the pilot when flying a speed envelope, especially at the lowest speeds. We only care what air is moving over the wing. For example if we really want to know the air moving over the wings in relation to AOA and a stabilized approach, we need TAS or some other form of pitot input.

At least that is why I would want it.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Check out this German site: http://www.cb-elektronics.de/Index.html

Who needed a airspeed sensor for a 18MZ: http://www.cb-elektronics.de/coming%20soon.htm

Pretty sure they will have a go at a converter for the Jetcat protocol, they allready have one for the other brands.

Regards, Bart.
    Diest Model Club / Team Harofly

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Pretty interested with that thread !
    Will have to read more...

I'd like to have a real pitot tube for fasst or even s-bus. That's a speed measurment... Now this appears to become true, no more a dream...

I've gone to the CB website and it's a not a really friendly website, as information is very difficult to found ! There's no link to s-bus or fasst compatible modules ! How did you find your links ? []
    "You've never been lost until you've been lost at mach 3 !" (a test pilot of the SR-71)