RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:47 AM
David Gladwin

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Cons for installing redundant receiver batteries ?

Goose, doesn't really surprise me that the F16 has so many power supplies, FBW+ no power= no control and I guess some of those backups are designed to cope with battle damage and still get you home, or even stay in the fight !
Sid, entirely agree but I could go further and say even small GT models should have dual batteries. My little Savex L39 with a Wren 44 is so light I can lift it with one finger, but it, too, has twin Rx batteries !Weight gain is insignificant. Its a bit of a tester too, one battery is a Duralite Lithium Ion the other is a Lipo, both seem to discharge at about the same rate. Both feed the Weatronics 8 channel Smart receiver via Mini Hobby Turbo regulators and JR HD switches, and the log shows DEAD stable voltage, 5.4v, on the rx bus.

Just as interest my larger models are all fitted with Weatronics 12-22 receivers for probably the ultimate in secure power supplies:

1. Twin batteries, one main, one standby.
2. Automatic load test of BOTH batteries on EVERY switch on (7amps for .5 second) An audio visual warning is triggered if the volttage drop exceeds the value YOU set, dependant on battery health and capability, on the software.
3. 8 Regulators distributed ober the servo outputs, all rated at 5 amps continuous, very large heatsink.
4. Battery connection is an electronically "latched contactor" so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.
5. Real time audio/visual alert of battery voltage drop/changeover via the telemetry downlink.

Difficult to know how that could be improved on in any significant way. But, never say never, well hardly ever ..... !

Morning coffee finished , back to my SG Hawk.

Regards, (and thank you for your supportive comments , guys, nice to know I am not just a lone voice in the wilderness)

David.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 AM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah thanks for your support everyone its nice to know that everyone has followed my lead and are using twin A123's

Mike
Old 10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
gooseF22

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok,... Im out of popcorn...
Old 10-24-2012, 01:25 PM
BaldEagel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 12-06-2012, 09:56 AM
abelard

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
I have been using A123's since they first came out
Possibly not much longer...

http://www.xconomy.com/boston/2012/1...ngle_page=true
Old 12-06-2012, 10:03 AM
BarracudaHockey
Community Moderators

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing to do with our hobby batteries
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
BlueBus320

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

Goose, doesn't really surprise me that the F16 has so many power supplies, FBW+ no power= no control and I guess some of those backups are designed to cope with battle damage and still get you home, or even stay in the fight !
Sid, entirely agree but I could go further and say even small GT models should have dual batteries. My little Savex L39 with a Wren 44 is so light I can lift it with one finger, but it, too, has twin Rx batteries !Weight gain is insignificant. Its a bit of a tester too, one battery is a Duralite Lithium Ion the other is a Lipo, both seem to discharge at about the same rate. Both feed the Weatronics 8 channel Smart receiver via Mini Hobby Turbo regulators and JR HD switches, and the log shows DEAD stable voltage, 5.4v, on the rx bus.

Just as interest my larger models are all fitted with Weatronics 12-22 receivers for probably the ultimate in secure power supplies:

2. Automatic load test of BOTH batteries on EVERY switch on (7amps for .5 second) An audio visual warning is triggered if the volttage drop exceeds the value YOU set, dependant on battery health and capability, on the software.
3. 8 Regulators distributed ober the servo outputs, all rated at 5 amps continuous, very large heatsink.
4. Battery connection is an electronically ''latched contactor'' so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.
5. Real time audio/visual alert of battery voltage drop/changeover via the telemetry downlink.

Difficult to know how that could be improved on in any significant way. But, never say never, well hardly ever ..... !

Regards, (and thank you for your supportive comments , guys, nice to know I am not just a lone voice in the wilderness)

David.
How did you set up an auto load test on every switch? I'm doing a setup now & would like to set this up. Also, the dual swithch guys with chargeports. Are you charging your batteries inside your models through the charge ports?
thanks
Old 12-13-2012, 05:12 PM
roger.alli

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: BlueBus320

Quote:
ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

4. Battery connection is an electronically ''latched contactor'' so that switch failure/disconnection leaves power connected.

David.
How did you set up an auto load test on every switch? I'm doing a setup now & would like to set this up. Also, the dual swithch guys with chargeports. Are you charging your batteries inside your models through the charge ports?
thanks
What David is referring to here (point 2). Every time the receiver is switched on, the Weatronics 12xx receivers do an automatic load test of the batteries. This is a pre programmed function of these receivers.

Roger
Old 12-13-2012, 06:02 PM
BlueBus320

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

oh, ok thanks

Search this Thread