Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

FB Panther Owners

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

FB Panther Owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 02:24 PM
Ozmodeller

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FB Panther Owners

Guys

Looking for some first hand landing experiences with the FB Panther on behalf of a mate, btw he is a very experienced flier and builder but the Panther is proving to be very frustrating particularly so with the landing, having had only six flights three have been satisfactory, the model weighs 36lbs and a Kingtech 170 supplies the motive power, the model flys very fast and smooth at about 50% power.

Can anyone advise what landing method you employ particularly with inner and outer flaps and if you utilise the speedbrake and the speed on approach, also if you use the recommended control throws? He has had so much conflicting advice that he feels that his capabilities are the issue where I know that this is not the case as I have witnessed his exceptional flying abilities for the last ten years.

I have a vested interest in the replies as I have the same model waiting for some motivation.

Thanks and regards

Peter
Old 10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
Aero65
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: FB Panther Owners

Hi Peter

I have one and I have had issues landing mine from time to time.

I have to measure my throws at the field sorry I don't have those now.

1. Use crow on take off and landing. Helps with any sudden pitch up as at slow speed you can tip stall and its not fun.
2. I changed to a trailing link nose gear for sanity, the scale nose gear is too tall and springy if you do not touch down perfectly, instant kangarooo boning boining .... oh shi****
3. I approach, crow on, gear down, flap 1, body flap, power to 60%, flap 2 land.

Main issue i had was nose gear was just too high, unless you had a perfect touch down it was kangaroo city, also the crow is a great help about 20 mm i think.... Thanks to Len G!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:45 PM
basea

Crow is the answer for me. The Panther sits with a positive angle of attack on the ground. Hence it takes off by itself. On landing unless you have the speed spot on it will want to fly again. This is why bouncing occurs. With crow the angle of attack is higher so the main wheels touch first. Derotation then happens naturally reducing lift keeping the Panther on the ground.

I don't use the body flaps at all as I found them destabilising (lots of yawning). Also no speed brakes.

As always there are surely many answers. This is what I have found.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:25 AM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I got advice to restrict the body flaps to 25 or 30 degrees .. I found that larger throws were destabilizing on final approach as just mentioned. With limited throw, they are helpful and do not create the unwanted squirrelyness on final. Agree that it can be a bouncer if not landed perfectly .. I never tried crow, though .. sounds like a good idea. Best just to hold it off and let it finish flying before touching down.

Dave
Old 10-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

Any chance these models are nose heavy. my friend joe shifted his cg back and it lands much better now.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:09 AM
747junky

The models are nose heavy. I do not use body flaps or speed brakes. I have gyro on ailerons and only wing flaps and the plane lands like a trainer. I had the plane with the CG as per instructions and it was sooooo difficult to land but now it's a no brainer
Old 10-20-2012, 06:33 AM
Aero65

Hi Everyone

I put a gyro on the rudder, we always fly in pretty gusty conditions here so without it the planes always all over the place.
With the stock nose gear I was having issues with it kicking the nose back up into the air again.

Was having tip stall during pitch up so i did not play with moving the cg further aft, also plane felt very light on elevator already.
Ill try moving the CG that might make things even easier, I have lead in the nose I can move. Thank you for the hints on this good to know
you have room to play.

Any idea how far they moved the CG back?

Here is a video of mine landing in a very light cross wind from 2 weeks ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5YFucEFOqk[/youtube]
Old 10-20-2012, 07:27 AM
sskianpour

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dom (MaJ Woody) had one and flew and landed it like a pro every time. I am not sure if he patrols the threads anymore so you want to look him up under the search function and email him. I have his email if you cannot find him , just PM me.

Shaz
Old 10-20-2012, 11:53 AM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

ORIGINAL: sskianpour

Dom (MaJ Woody) had one and flew and landed it like a pro every time. I am not sure if he patrols the threads anymore so you want to look him up under the search function and email him. I have his email if you cannot find him , just PM me.

Shaz

Hey Shaz, Dom is a friend of mine, I e-mailed him the other day and gave him the link to this thread, don't know why he hasn't posted...

On another note I guess your F-15 you sold has ended up about 10 miles from me, I'm looking forward to seeing that beast fly.

See post #242 for Dom's account of his first landing with the FB Panther

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_64...10/key_/tm.htm
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Aero65

Hi all

I use Body flaps and full wing flaps on landing, as our field is pretty short probably lowering my aoa at touch down.
Ill bet this is why it was more touchy with the higher nose gear, as far as the bounce. I almost never land without full body flaps I'm just used to it I guess.
Rudder gyro on mine really cut down on the squirrelyness with the body flaps.

When I went to the non scale trailing link nose gear no issues at all, I have not had another bouncy landing.
It's nice to be able to keep the engine spooled up on final with all that drag out, and you can make a pretty steep approach.

Thank you for the hints everyone, I thought I was going to help Paul but got some good pointers too.

Used the You Tube video stabilizer to cut down the video shakes on the You tube video add's some weird "max headroom" jerking around but smooths out the video pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro42023.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1813091