Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Time to buy a lathe

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Time to buy a lathe

once you guys bought these have they taken time away from your plane building time?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The bits I have shown are for a aeroplane
Old 10-22-2012, 09:26 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: airraptor

once you guys bought these have they taken time away from your plane building time?
Not Really, It allows you to build better planes, some tasks are faster with these tools.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:55 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Beavis

Just curious - could you guys please post here a list with specific items that you have actually built/repaired/modified with a lathe, preferably related to our hobby? Personally, I have yet to miss having one, but then again, I may be the one missing something...

Thanks in advance.

Stuff you do in a drill press, I used a lathe a lot for drilling holes or boring something out.

I used it for landing gear parts, wheel bushings, brakes, retract parts. Wing mount reinforcements, etc.

Also, little fixtures, clamps. Wood, plastic, nylon. Not just metal.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:40 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been thinking about getting a lathe and mill for some time. i would like to add some brakes to a F-7F tigercat i will build soon and they want around 5-600 dollars for a set. I could just use that money on the lather and make my own brakes.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:46 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The lathe is very versatile, you assume it just makes cylindrical things but it is quite easy to make cubes and rectangles in the lathe, and thats before adding on a vertical milling table that allows small milling jobs on the lathe
Old 10-22-2012, 12:04 PM
John Tancock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When choosing a lathe, make sure the spindle bore diameter suits the type of work you want to do!
This one thing will make your machine more versatile, too smaller bore can be a real headache!

All the best

John (HELIX Engineering Service Limited)
Old 10-22-2012, 12:39 PM
jason

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

When choosing a lathe, make sure the spindle bore diameter suits the type of work you want to do!
This one thing will make your machine more versatile, too smaller bore can be a real headache!

All the best

John (HELIX Engineering Service Limited)

You make it sound like you know what you are on about..
Old 10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
John Tancock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm still laughing about the response from Julie to your Email!

I think my comments were nearest to the issues to which would make the machine more useful!

What do you think on this subject Jason?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:10 PM
jason

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: John Tancock

I'm still laughing about the response from Julie to your Email!

I think my comments were nearest to the issues to which would make the machine more useful!

What do you think on this subject Jason?

I'd say find which chinese factory makes decent quality lathes (as some are awful) and buy 10 of them. Sell 9 of them and get yours free. I did this two years ago using [link=http://www.kymachinery.com/en/product.asp]this company[/link] (speak to Jenny) and I have to say they were really good. The after sales email response was immediate and the few parts I needed were sent straight away. They even made my own name plates and fitted a more powerful motor to make it more desirable than others available in the UK.

J
Old 10-22-2012, 03:36 PM
buchtes
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vettster : By all means stay away from Harbor Freight or all other Chinese made scrap steel items they call Machine Tools. Not worth having, spend a few Bucks more and get a American or British made tool, you'll thank me in the long run. ( been a Machinist for almost 50 Years).

Mr. Honda: I'll like that Hass you have in the shop............
Old 10-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Geoff_H
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Beavis

Just curious - could you guys please post here a list with specific items that you have actually built/repaired/modified with a lathe, preferably related to our hobby? Personally, I have yet to miss having one, but then again, I may be the one missing something...

Thanks in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sv1kC3jiUs
This project is way beyond the original posters intent of maintenance and modifications. It was built on a Harbour Freight lathe that replaced my old warn out American unit. There is not much hobby related that cannot be made in a home shop. It is not always cheaper to build things yourself but for modifications, original parts and one offs that cannot be bought, they are priceless. This is great for those of us like the scratch building crowd who are never happy just buying something. However if you can fill your needs with easily bought items you are usually farther ahead doing so.
Geoff
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice work Geoff!! But your right.. WAY beyond what my intents are
Old 10-23-2012, 09:27 AM
davidhand

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A lot of good information here, I have been considering getting a lathe myself. I was a fitter & turner myself in another life long ago in Portsmouth England.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 AM
John Tancock

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A Colchester man I think!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
siddus74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

Those 7x12 mini lathes are excellent, in the UK there are about four varients of the same lathe, warco one is green, Machine Mart do a yellow one, sealey do a red one and chester machine tools do one in the more normal grey/bue lathe colours called a conquest which I have myself for about 10yrs.

[link=http://www.chesteruk.net/products/detail/2]Chester machine tools[/link]

Chester at the minute are doing a special price which is actually cheaper than what I paid ten years ago!

They are an excellent little lathe and will do anything the average modeller will want, especially if you pick up a larger 4 jaw chuck for it.
It has also has a variable speed control so no need to change gears of pull at levers.

I did think at the time maybe I should have bought bigger, but I have found it is rare I need to do anything that requires a bigger lathe, and if I do I can get access to a larger one if needed.
The beauty is it takes up no room in the workshop and is bench top so you can move it about if you want.
Xairflyer, I have been looking to buy a lathe for a while as well, only for making spare parts and reparing retracts for 80 - 120 turbine models ... the one in your previous post is quite cheap I think ... had you found that it is more than adquate for retracts etc, where have found it wanting?

Scott.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Xairflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The only one area that applies to all small lathes which someone has already been mentioned is the spindle size, ie the hole in the middle of the chuck, not the chuck capacity/size itself.
To explain better the chuck is driven by a shaft/spindle which has a hole up it, if you have say a 300mm long bar of 30mm alum, on a big lathe you you just push it into the chuck as far as you want and machine away, on the small lathes you cant do that as the hole in the spindle might only be 25mm and on top of that the hole in the middle of the chuck may reduce this to 20mm. So it limits the lengths of large diameter stock you machine, not the diameter but the length.

It is not really a big problem as what you do is you cut off the piece you want from the long bar, stick it in the chuck and machine away, if you need to machine a long piece then you have to get more inventive with using the tailstock and revolving centres etc.

In order to solve this spindle problem you really have to go to a lot bigger lathe, a friend has one the next size up from me and he still has the same spindle issue so it is something you live with if you want to have a small compact lathe rather than a big machine taking up half the workshop.

For modelling stuff we never need anything that long that it becomes an issue.

Just to add on the machine I have (shown above) it is more than adequate for any modeller, if you come from a tool making background then you may want more but it will do anything most modellers will want.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:25 AM
siddus74

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

any chance of a picture to help explain?

Scott
Old 10-23-2012, 12:08 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The work piece can set back in the chuck only so far (the depth of the chuck in effect). If the work can fit through the hole in the chuck and the spindle, you could be putting threads on a 1 foot piece of stock, and only the 1 inch of thread is visible from the chuck side, the other 11 inches of it is sticking back through the chuck, and can actually hanging out in space outside of the lathe, but only if it fits through the hole.

We used machine stuff with many feet of material hanging back out of the spindle......could make for an exciting day of you weren't careful (machinists know what I mean)

As someone said that is the price of these tiny machines. Infinitely better to have a small lathe than nothing. For me the 7 inch ones are a little small. I missed a nice used 9x20 a week ago and I kick myself. They are not that much bigger and 2 people can still lift them. I don't want one so big I need a crane (well I do want one that big but I don't have a crane or the room)
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Big machines small machines they all most always do what they are intended for. Sturdiness and accuracy as well as available tooling and parts are a major concern. As has been said before buy as big as you can afford. You will never regret that extra few inches of machine. Small machines equal smaller cuts so if you want to be efficient you will spend a little more effort to buy your stock closer to finished sizes. Accessories and tooling for some may only be available mail order so make sure your machine comes with enough to let you work with it. I have bought a small lathe (Unimat) which everything had to be ordered to fit that particular machine. Nice machine expensive accessories. When you get into the bigger machines you can take larger cuts and machine much more without having to reset everything. Clearance holes behind the chuck through the head of the machine are pretty well standard for each size of lathe. The ones that tend to have larger holes in the smaller lathes are usually referred to as gunsmith’s lathes. These usually have clearance to put a rifle barrel in the chuck with the rest of the barrel sticking out through the head of the machine supported by 4 centering screws at the very back so you can accurately chamber the barrel for the shell. These extra clearance machines make ideal home lathes. Clearance on my 36 inch is 1.625. Buy what you can afford and enjoy.

Enco better Chinese made lathe.
Shop Fox
Jett

Amazon and Ebay have some good deals on new and used equipment.

Dennis
Old 10-23-2012, 12:48 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Scott, there are several suppliers of mini lathes in Britain. I have recently bought the sieg c3 from arc euro. You can also get it under a different name from chester, warco, amadeal, spg. Machine mart sells one with a clarke label but it is more expensive and can't see any reason why. Each version has slightly different power and minor differences. I bought mine to save me having to go to friends with lathes when I need to adjust oleo legs, and so on. But dont expect to use it as it comes out of the box, they need a strip down, cleaning and rebuilding, see the picture guide on the arc euro site for what they do in their preparation srvice for an extra fee. Then you want cutting tools, tailstock chuck, 4 jaw chuck, quick change tool post and an endless list of good idea gadgets that can soon double the price of the basic lathe.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:11 PM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So I bought this 7x12. http://www.busybeetools.com/products...RAFTEX-CX.html

It was 899 reg but luck has it..I was at my buddies place today and ask him to punch it up to have a look at it, and today it went on sale!

Got it for 699 and just a half hour drive from my place

Stay tuned for... Time to buy a TIG welder
Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Geoff_H
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Shopping for a tig myself. I really fancy this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Arc-...item20cbd980ab

Be careful or jets are going to become the cheap part of the hobby.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 PM
Xairflyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Vettster

So I bought this 7x12. http://www.busybeetools.com/products...RAFTEX-CX.html

It was 899 reg but luck has it..I was at my buddies place today and ask him to punch it up to have a look at it, and today it went on sale!

Got it for 699 and just a half hour drive from my place

Great little lathe you wont be disappointed.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Vettster

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Geoff_H

Shopping for a tig myself. I really fancy this one, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thermal-Arc-...item20cbd980ab

Be careful or jets are going to become the cheap part of the hobby.
Nice welder Geoff.. But do you really need such a serious welder? With that one you could walk the cup on a 12" x 1/2" beveled pipe!

If you want one for hobby use only..look into Miller. They have one that plugs into the wall and its touch start for about $500

Now you in my territory.. Been welding for 30 years mostly stick but did pressure vessels.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.