Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

E-Flite F-4:Big $, I don't get it !

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

E-Flite F-4:Big $, I don't get it !

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts
Default E-Flite F-4:Big $, I don't get it !

By "I don't get it" I mean exactly that. I'm not knocking it, I'm looking for explanations.

They look like an awful lot of $$ for what you get. Am I wrong? If so, I'm more than ready to be set straight on the matter by anyone willing to educate me.

Thanks,
Don.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:51 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: E-Flite F-4:Big $, I don't get it !

I don't get how $370 is considered "big $" for a painted composite airframe.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

Development costs on this would be higher than the Habu 32, all flying tail hinge brackets etc needed making, wings in four bits mean more work, Bifo outlet is an expensive mould compared to a plastic rolled sheet and just numbers made and expected to be sold being less, so more cost there too...

Frankly, costs need to go up in 2013 if the hobby is going to survive, running a business has certainly gone up a huge amount in the last few years and the margin and silly discounting mean $ made on each item is often not enough!

Dw
Old 10-22-2012, 10:51 PM
VictoriaP
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: highhorse

By "I don't get it" I mean exactly that. I'm not knocking it, I'm looking for explanations.

They look like an awful lot of $$ for what you get. Am I wrong? If so, I'm more than ready to be set straight on the matter by anyone willing to educate me.

Thanks,
Don.

Hobby King has many better and more afordable airframes in the 90 fan size. Far less $'s and better quality. All made in china in factories next to each other along with the F4. It is called being ripped off by HH
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, Hobby King, the true measure of quality... I've been up close and personal with some of those 90mm HK planes and the quality is nowhere near Horizon levels.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 PM
VictoriaP
Banned

ORIGINAL: dubd

Yes, Hobby King, the true measure of quality... I've been up close and personal with some of those 90mm HK planes and the quality is nowhere near Horizon levels.
Sorry cant agree. I have the Habu 32, and from HK the Viper, Hawk, Mig 15 and L59 and all are within about 99% of the Habu. These 90 mm models are generally made by Pro Design HK Just sells them like so many of their products.

The e flite and horizon brands are generally made in the same factories but with US Supervision to some extent
Old 10-22-2012, 11:33 PM
Dave Wilshere

Sounds like Dennis "Big Plumbs" talking!...
Old 10-22-2012, 11:34 PM
Shaun Evans

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: VictoriaP

Sorry cant agree. I have the Habu 32, and from HK the Viper, Hawk, Mig 15 and L59 and all are within about 99% of the Habu. These 90 mm models are generally made by Pro Design HK Just sells them like so many of their products.

The e flite and horizon brands are generally made in the same factories but with US Supervision to some extent

Hi,

I'll probably get moderated for saying anything because I'm the rep for Y/A, and this is 'another manufacturer's thread' or whatever, but I really just wanted to chime in on this one since I've recently built one of these birds. I can't speak first hand about building a HK jet because I never have, but I've helped fix a few. I've also watched numerous fly at my field. Regarding the F-4, I had the same reaction when I first heard the pricetag, but when I saw one pulled out of the box at my LHS, I had to have one. I built one and found it to be of superb quality and NOTHING like the junk HK sells. I thought the airplane was so well put together and TOUGH. The HK stuff I've been around has been embarrassing. Just my $.02
Old 10-22-2012, 11:54 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hobby King has many better and more afordable airframes in the 90 fan size. Far less $'s and better quality. All made in china in factories next to each other along with the F4. It is called being ripped off by HH
Ripped by HH or F***** by HK... or maybe neither if you read up on what you get in the box before ordering.

If you want something worthy around the quality expression none of the cheap china jets are up to it. Look for Schreiner, Schübeler or Vasa.

You simply just can't do this with the China ARFs you are suggesting

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veUpBsrwECo[/youtube]

Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 AM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

By ''I don't get it'' I mean exactly that. I'm not knocking it, I'm looking for explanations.

Thanks,
Don.

It's easy to copy someone else's development work ( ie funding) when you're right next door. If companies like Horizon go away and stop developing product, what are they going to be left with to copy?

It's Horizon that's getting ripped off. You try it some time. Take money out of your own pocket, develop your own model kit, put it through hours of testing and refinement, then send it over to China for manufacture only to have it copied by the guy next door. Wonder if you will recoup your investment before your market gets eroded by the copy versions from h-k and to others. I sell product in China now, I barely understand the business culture over there, but I do know enough to tread very carefully....

PaulD

Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 AM
MMcConville
My Feedback: (4)

[quote]ORIGINAL: VictoriaP

That would be a very incorrect statement.......
Old 10-23-2012, 07:19 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This speaks volumes.... lol Can't speak on the phantom, but I was really impressed with the habu 32 quality

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30991.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	1814147  
Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

wow... A guy cannot even ask a question about a model from another manufacterer with out all the "HK Haters" posting their fears...

For thouse of you that have trouble concentrating on the original post... Ive quoted it for you.

By ''I don't get it'' I mean exactly that. I'm not knocking it, I'm looking for explanations.

Thanks,
Don.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:09 AM
jason
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Dave Wilshere

Frankly, costs need to go up in 2013 if the hobby is going to survive, running a business has certainly gone up a huge amount in the last few years and the margin and silly discounting mean $ made on each item is often not enough!

Dw
Won't make any difference even if prices doubled, all it would mean is the modellers would be able to buy half what they do and the dealer would earn twice the margin on half the amount of products..

J
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Dave Wilshere

Old 10-23-2012, 12:34 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Don, you obviously dont fly JR. Dont you know that if you fly JR you aret morally bounded to buy all the crap Horizon sells?

You must be a Futaba pilot.

David
Old 10-23-2012, 12:36 PM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

When is the DX 24 coming out? I really need those extra 10 channels so I can fly all my models at the same time!

Old 10-23-2012, 12:40 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

You must have a different atmosphere over there in the UK than we do here in the states? You must think that all these hobby companies make so much money its scandelous. Gee of that were only true? I bet most would be happy for you to buy their companies at half of what you think they are worth!

I have the Eflite phantom. First Eflite jet. Pretty good and very complete jet and hard ware package. Is it worth the money? Depends on who's buying. For me it was. For some others maybe not? But then again there are those who spend thousands upon thousands on their jets.

The finish is exeptional. Parts all match and fit. No fiddling with parts that are mislabeled or not fitting well. Just follow the directions and assemble.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:08 PM
davegr1

Okay so i was cruising the posts and came across this one, I would guess that your ideas of quality come form your check book, I bought the F4 beacuase i worked on them.. I wanted to see how close they got it. HH did an amazing job, I didnt mind dropping the 900$ + to build it. It went together great, it fly's great. I also believe that Hobby shops are tring to make living, we have several local owner shops here in Louisville, they are not rich by no means, and yet give us clubbers a nice discount. So I will go there and buy from the Big name companies to support them. Oh yea , am I rich, by no means, I work hard like all of you do to afford this hobby.. So with that said, Fly it like you stole it..... HH will make more of them...
Old 10-23-2012, 03:03 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: YellowAircraft

Hi,

I'll probably get moderated for saying anything because I'm the rep for Y/A, and this is 'another manufacturer's thread' or whatever, but I really just wanted to chime in on this one since I've recently built one of these birds. I can't speak first hand about building a HK jet because I never have, but I've helped fix a few. I've also watched numerous fly at my field. Regarding the F-4, I had the same reaction when I first heard the pricetag, but when I saw one pulled out of the box at my LHS, I had to have one. I built one and found it to be of superb quality and NOTHING like the junk HK sells. I thought the airplane was so well put together and TOUGH. The HK stuff I've been around has been embarrassing. Just my $.02
Extremely useful post, makes me want to see one for myself. Thanks.

Anyone else want to post on the TOPIC AT HAND please?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:48 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My only experience is with the Habu 32 but both this and the Phantom are quite developed. Simple things that have obviously been thought through and tested make these models a pleasure to put together. For instance, on the Habu, the elevator servo mounts are offset so you can use a normal Y lead (if you want to) without having issues with servo reversing. Some of the cheaper ARFs won't even have servo mounts at all. The retracts on the Habu (and I assume the Phantom) are proper 'bolt in' fit. Unlike some of the more expensive jets that come with 'made-to-measure' gear sets that don't fit, the E-Flite stuff really does screw straight in and fits.

None of this is a fluke. The models must be designed, tested, re-designed, retested etc until it is ready to release. This all costs money. On top of this the quality of the glasswork and the wooden parts is quite good too.

Whilst the quality of some of the cheaper ARFs might be approaching that of the Phantom and Habu, I would be surprised if you could buy one of them and follow the included photo illustrated instruction manual, step-by-step, without having to make any alterations and with everything fitting first time.

Don't get me wrong, the Habu 32 isn't perfect, but when you build one you can see why these models cost a bit more than some of the other similar sized EDF models on the market.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:28 PM
psb667

I dont get it. If its bugging you that much wait a year and the air frame will cost half that. then buy it and wreck it :}
Old 10-23-2012, 07:17 PM
highhorse

ORIGINAL: siclick33

My only experience is with the Habu 32 but both this and the Phantom are quite developed. Simple things that have obviously been thought through and tested make these models a pleasure to put together. For instance, on the Habu, the elevator servo mounts are offset so you can use a normal Y lead (if you want to) without having issues with servo reversing. Some of the cheaper ARFs won't even have servo mounts at all. The retracts on the Habu (and I assume the Phantom) are proper 'bolt in' fit. Unlike some of the more expensive jets that come with 'made-to-measure' gear sets that don't fit, the E-Flite stuff really does screw straight in and fits.

None of this is a fluke. The models must be designed, tested, re-designed, retested etc until it is ready to release. This all costs money. On top of this the quality of the glasswork and the wooden parts is quite good too.

Whilst the quality of some of the cheaper ARFs might be approaching that of the Phantom and Habu, I would be surprised if you could buy one of them and follow the included photo illustrated instruction manual, step-by-step, without having to make any alterations and with everything fitting first time.

Don't get me wrong, the Habu 32 isn't perfect, but when you build one you can see why these models cost a bit more than some of the other similar sized EDF models on the market.
Another very helpful post. THIS is what RCU is all about. Thanks!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Dave Wilshere

I flew mine from grass and hard surfaces...I think it looks great!

Dw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19767.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1814402   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm38009.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	1814403   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12613.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	1814404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au57028.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	1814405  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 PM
BillJohnson
Banned

If the fit and quality is as good as every one says wouldn't it be nice if eflite or probably Hanger 9 came out with some larger turbine jets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.