Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:57 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat

I missed out on a pre-BITW maiden, so I had to do it after the event was over. Here is some video of the second flight. Nothing too "rigorous" yet, but I did sweep the wings. Overall, I'm very impressed with the plane. No stab/rudder flutter or wings stalling on landing. It's very stable with the wings out... when I swept the wings it was a handful, so I'll need to make a few adjustments and try again. The Tomcat is powered by 2 Jetcat P-140RXs which provide plenty of blow. Thanks to Lowell, B1Bob, Ali, and EDF Jim for giving me tips for a successful maiden and Ian for the awesome build.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UM4JRlRHRo[/youtube]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37446.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1815849  
Old 10-29-2012, 06:22 AM
skunkworksrc
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Fly Eagle F-14 Tomcat

congrats, what is your final take off weight? and did u use flaps for landing?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:26 AM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Awesome man! Congratulations. Do you need more or less throw on the tailerons with the wings swept?
Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: skunkworksrc

congrats, what is your final take off weight? and did u use flaps for landing?
Not sure on the final weight. I'll weigh the plane soon and report back. I did not use any flap for landing.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:31 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: Airforce7

Awesome man! Congratulations. Do you need more or less throw on the tailerons with the wings swept?
Thanks! Less throw with the wings swept, which I had set, but it was still too much. [:@]
Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Looks good!

It seems as if FEJ has come a ways from when I bought two of their first planes a number of years ago. I'm still not ready to pull the trigger on another one, but its getting closer...

I have yet to hear anyone say that any F-14 model is easy to fly with the wings back - all of them, Jetmart, JHH, Avonds, seem to be a handful with the wings swept.

Congrats!

Bob
Old 10-29-2012, 07:01 AM
Ali
My Feedback: (5)

Congrats Dantley.
Nicely flown! Thank goodness you had all that runway Wow, that looks allot lighter than the one of B1's I fly. Looks like a great set up to me, perfect power as well. You really do need so little movement in roll when those wings come back. A roll gyro would be ideal. Not essential as I first thought, as Bobs is handling ok now when the wings are back, just as long as that roll rate is turned right down.
Regards Al
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM
dubd

Bob: This plane has really changed my perception of FEJ. Plus, their customer service is top notch.

Ali: Thanks! Good thing my brakes work or I'd run out of runway! I'll keep reducing the roll rate until I'm satisfied. Does Bob's F-14 tuck in the turns with the wings back?
Old 10-29-2012, 07:12 AM
Ali

Thats you rolling into it as you have too much ail movement.. Check out the Vids of B1's at Kentucky if there are any with his set up on the roll and compare to how it was flying at BITW. Also for some reason I found it needed less movement in roll one way compared to the other.. but that could just be a B1 thing Try wings swept straight and level and rock the ail stick left to right, right to left and see if it all feels balanced. Even with the smallest of roll inputs I can get the Bbunny to roll easily.
I am with D on the perception thing. This time last year I would not have touched a FEJ model, but the more I see of them in action and actually get to fly their newer products, the more impressed I am.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM
dubd

I'll check the left and right roll movement in the next flight. That's interesting that there was a difference.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 AM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Hey, and the gear went up on only one system!! Who'da thunk it???!?!?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:08 AM
readyturn
My Feedback: (9)

I guess that they have finally listened to the end user here on RCU. That is a real testament to the manufacturer getting the message !

So, I guess that I need a F-16 and F-14.....

Cheers
Rick
Old 10-29-2012, 09:14 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Dantley on your maiden!!!
Old 10-29-2012, 10:04 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

I have yet to hear anyone say that any F-14 model is easy to fly with the wings back - all of them, Jetmart, JHH, Avonds, seem to be a handful with the wings swept.
This.

You could see even Ali was anticipating the 14 tucking into corners and such.

And Ali had a glorious pass right over the runway with the wings out, he then pulled up and swept the wings. Absolute awesomeness.

I have found with other 14's the CG really does need to move to make it more stable in the different configurations. I will be playing with this with my 14. And it will also get a gyro treatment as well.

The 14 with swept wings is a nose HEAVY delta. Delta's need VERY little aileron and lots of elevator.

If you try to move that CG back, when it gets time to land with the wings out, nose up and slow, well 14's REALLY don't like that. [:@] Ask me how I know.

And the gear REALLY did ALL go up, gear doors close and then all the doors opened and all the gear came back out!! WooHoo! The flight was a bit short at 4 min, but apparently there is room for maybe a min more?

Oh and you're welcome for the moral support D.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:09 AM
ianober

Of course the gear went up despite the fact that the FEJ guys said you need 3 valves to run everything. If we would have followed their advice Dantley would have sunk over $1000 alone into the air system. As far as I am concerned, no aircraft should have to cost that much to have pneumatic gear go up and down. [&o][&o]
Old 10-29-2012, 10:13 AM
ravill

Yeah, I was kinda cringing when I was overhearing the conversation that Dantley was having with the FEJ guys about each gear and the stand alone systems for each gear.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
EagleJC
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Dantely:

congrats on your F14. Also, it was nice to meet you at BITW. Hope to see you again sooner.

PS: Separately valves will cost $170 extra fee (two more 2 way valves). But I am glad to hear one valve works on his. Good job again.

Thanks
James
Old 10-29-2012, 10:40 AM
ianober

ORIGINAL: EagleJC

Hi Dantely:

congrats on your F14. Also, it was nice to meet you at BITW. Hope to see you again sooner.

PS: Separately valves will cost $170 extra fee (two more 2 way valves). But I am glad to hear one valve works on his. Good job again.

Thanks
James

True James, add that to the EVSD-5U he has, plus airline, plus festos, plus fill valves and gauges and you have over a grand!! Just sayin...
Old 10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
dubd

James, it was nice to meet you as well. I bought the extra EV-2 valves just in case. I'll use them on a future project.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Ali

Rav.. Dont worry. We all know he couldn't have done it without you.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:16 AM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ravill

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

I have found with other 14's the CG really does need to move to make it more stable in the different configurations. I will be playing with this with my 14. And it will also get a gyro treatment as well.

The 14 with swept wings is a nose HEAVY delta. Delta's need VERY little aileron and lots of elevator.

If you try to move that CG back, when it gets time to land with the wings out, nose up and slow, well 14's REALLY don't like that. [:@] Ask me how I know.

Raffi,

why don't you add weight on the wingtips? That way, the CG will move back when you sweep them back.

just a thought

And dantley: congrats on the maiden, too bad i could not make it. Are you bringing it to Lodi this weekend? bring the f14 and f100!!!!! (you should sell everything else haha)

Jack
Old 10-29-2012, 11:56 AM
ravill

ORIGINAL: Ali

Rav.. Dont worry. We all know he couldn't have done it without you.
Ali speaks the truth. I knew you were a cheaky, err, smart guy.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Ali

Its already a tad roll touchy. I dont think adding weight on the tips will make this any better [X(]
Yes there is a C of G shift when the wings go back, and yes its noticeable, but noting unworkable. I still had enough elev to pull up vertical with ease and do that wing swing that Rav liked so much Gotta admit, it did look pretty sweet ( I almost wanted an F-14 for a moment there )
Regards Al
Old 10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
JackD
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ali

Its already a tad roll touchy. I dont think adding weight on the tips will make this any better [X(]
Yes there is a C of G shift when the wings go back, and yes its noticeable, but noting unworkable. I still had enough elev to pull up vertical with ease and do that wing swing that Rav liked so much Gotta admit, it did look pretty sweet ( I almost wanted an F-14 for a moment there )
Regards Al
Ali, i did not mean weight on the tip to make it more stable,but to have the CG move back when you retract the wings.

The other option is to have a weight being moved with a worm gear, but that is hard and complicated.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:47 PM
dubd

ORIGINAL: JackD

Raffi,

why don't you add weight on the wingtips? That way, the CG will move back when you sweep them back.

just a thought

And dantley: congrats on the maiden, too bad i could not make it. Are you bringing it to Lodi this weekend? bring the f14 and f100!!!!! (you should sell everything else haha)

Jack
Now you want me to bring the F-14!! You want me to bring my F-100, but you're not going to bring yours???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.