Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

"CIA" jets on classifieds, too good to be true?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

"CIA" jets on classifieds, too good to be true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "CIA" jets on classifieds, too good to be true?

Anyone see this add, its for CAI jets (but the title says *CIA* )

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=943032

I offered multiple amounts over his asking price, up to $9050.00 wire transfer still no go so I'm out. Cost to ship from uship was about 950.00 in my case.

guy seemed straight forward on the phone but now I'm not sure. I have a feeling that 2-3 CAI nuts have been eyeing this add too (yes I"m talking about you LGMgraphix)

what do you guys think, too good to be true?
Old 10-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Harley Condra
My Feedback: (4)

The ad also mentions a Phantom, but he must mean Super Saber. Scotty never made a Phantom.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:32 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Disco,

You've seen my posts on that ad. Its either the deal of the millenium (even if you can't get parts) or a complete scam. As I said there, I'd *only* go for that deal if I could close it face-to-face, and even then, I'd want some reasonable proof of ownership (or at least a plausible story of how they got them), and I'd want them loaded into my vehicle before I handed over the cash. If their house was in a rural area, I might even want to do the deal in a more public place... (kidding - sort of )...

Bob
Old 10-10-2013, 10:29 AM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Almost looks like something out of storage wars. I always liked the look of the CAI stuff. Good Luck.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Well some CAI History: These planes where basically handled in South Louisiana, Scotty was handling CAI line up until he go involved with UAVs and then decided to quit. There is a faily well known CAI following here in the south. Tim said he carried the AMT USA line and Eddie weeks was a local rep that sold the AMT turbines locally, TIm said he does know Eddie, at this point all the details line up.

That being said, I just don't know what the seller wants, I'm thinking he realized that he can get more $$ and now is going to re-list the add? That or maybe he is just testing the waters.

Either way, I'm going to watch this one but not participate, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is... hopefully no one gets burned or the seller just pulls his add. GLTA
Old 10-11-2013, 05:01 AM
kevinthoele
My Feedback: (1)

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscoWings
Well some CAI History: These planes where basically handled in South Louisiana, Scotty was handling CAI line up until he go involved with UAVs and then decided to quit. There is a faily well known CAI following here in the south. Tim said he carried the AMT USA line and Eddie weeks was a local rep that sold the AMT turbines locally, TIm said he does know Eddie, at this point all the details line up.

That being said, I just don't know what the seller wants, I'm thinking he realized that he can get more $$ and now is going to re-list the add? That or maybe he is just testing the waters.

Either way, I'm going to watch this one but not participate, if it sounds too good to be true it usually is... hopefully no one gets burned or the seller just pulls his add. GLTA

I think you may be on to something. I think he did not realize they are worth more then that. AMT did buy the stuff from Scotty and were in Ohio so the whole story does fit. I would want to be in Ohio and complete the deal for sure not shipping them. I think he is talking about Panther not Phantom. CAI were great planes and flew well. They gave Bob V a run for the money for a while. Scotties wife getting ILL was the reason he shut the doors..Good luck to whoever gets these as they are great flyers
Old 10-11-2013, 08:45 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

To bad no one has done anything with the molds. It seems these would of been perfect for someone to purchase and offer for sale again. I know i'd love to get my hands on their smaller sport jet.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:24 PM
RCISFUN
My Feedback: (44)

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I see that the ad says items sold!
Old 10-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Blinky
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This deal was honest. I purchased all equipment and the seller was a true gentleman. He did everything as agreed. Thanks Tim
Old 10-13-2013, 10:53 AM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice job Tim. You got some cool jets!
Old 10-13-2013, 12:30 PM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have an email and text from Tim saying he was in a meeting on Thur and Friday and will be re-posting the ad "in order to be fair" to everyone who made offers. Guess a few of us are being played here....
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM
txshan130
My Feedback: (114)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So Blinky how about some pics of your new jets? Still having a hard time believing that Tim Gerbus was a "true gentleman" in your dealings. He apparently has no idea how to conduct himself online as all I ever got from him were lies, lies and more lies. While Tim was supposedly in his "board of directors meeting" on Thursday and Friday several of us were trying hard to research the jets and figure out flight schedules, shipping, etc... All it would have taken was a simple text, email, voicemail or post saying "deal pending, local sale" or anything to that effect. So thanks a lot Tim Gerbus for wasting all of our time...not sure why you think your time is so much more valuable than our time. I wish I were able to give you a sales rating for this "transaction." You would have failed miserably. Buyer beware if tgerbus ever shows up again on RCU...