Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

JR 16 or 18 channel TX

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

JR 16 or 18 channel TX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM
bskyinc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 16 or 18 channel TX

Does anyone have any info on if or when JR might release a new Transmitter.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:25 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: JR 16 or 18 channel TX

next year by spring.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:34 PM
bskyinc

Any other info? 16 or 18 channels, source of info? Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 03:42 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

<- wondering the same thing
Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM
bskyinc

So the only info is something new in the spring, surely someone knows more. C'mon JR Reps, give it up. I have the Spektrum 18 which I am undecided about, still love my JR12X, but if something doesn't come out soon I may change to orange and black
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not many JR reps in the states anymore. Honestly don't know any air guys. Horizon is all about the Spektrum DX18.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:29 PM
invertmast

Well thats a bunch of crap. While my original dx7 radio was nice, all of my JR stuff has been better. And to see horizon focusing all on the spektrum stuff is a bit disheartening. While the dx18 has decent specs on paper, i despise the looks snd programming method of that thing.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:59 PM
bcovish

ORIGINAL: invertmast
i despise the looks snd programming method of that thing.
That's why the make Fords, that's why they make Chevrolet's
Buy what you like
No one is forcing you to buy the DX18
Old 10-10-2012, 03:00 PM
John Redman

Thomas, horizon still supports the entire JR line, and will for many years to come. My point is there are no "JR reps" in the stats as asked for above. I personally only know of one and that is Scott Gray, a heli guy. As for any new radio from JR, Horizon has no info regarding it.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Roger Shipley
My Feedback: (35)

Wonderful....just what I wanted to hear....already using Spektrum servos and I love em....price and quality !!!
ORIGINAL: John Redman

Not many JR reps in the states anymore. Honestly don't know any air guys. Horizon is all about the Spektrum DX18.
Old 10-10-2012, 04:34 PM
invertmast

Thomas, horizon still supports the entire JR line, and will for many years to come. My point is there are no ''JR reps'' in the stats as asked for above. I personally only know of one and that is Scott Gray, a heli guy. As for any new radio from JR, Horizon has no info regarding it.

Good to hear the will continue to carry. How about putting a word into someones ears to come out with a manual addendum for the 11X that actually explains how to use all of the programming ability of that radio, and a software update that would allow us to transfer models between the other Dsc equipped radios (not just other 11x's). Oh, and a balance function that allows you to pick which servo to adjust for both aileron and elevator functions when using as an elevon.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

I got one of the first, if not the first, 12X delivered to Wisconsin when they first were released by Horizon......Zero problems for almost 5 years......now have the DX-18 since last week of May.....zero problems, first on my Helos with Beast 7200 DSM-X, then my Boomerang with DSM2, and now on my UB with DSM2 using PowerSafe 1222's......running full house with TM1000, GPS, altitude, airspeed, JetCat, and G modules and STi to my IPhone and IPad.....all are plug and play.......didn't have to upgrade any RX.......

Programming is a bit different from 12X but took about 3 hours of monkey-punching the buttons till I figured it out.....IMO, slicker than the 12X in many respects.........SD card updates, of course. Personally, I like the lighter weight ergonomics of the 18 vs the boat anchor 12X.....

If JR does come out with a competitor at 18 channels, you know it is going to pricey, probably 1200 bucks at least....add to that, in my case, 8 new DMSS RX, probably at close to 300 bucks a piece, new telemetry hardware, maybe a new STi dongle, so now I have a new tranny that costs significantly more than an 18MZ while *****-canning all my DSM-X and DSM-2 stuff. There still is a market for 12X's, but that will start to dry up as more people make the change to the DX-18, if for no other reason than the telemetry....

Add to that, we have Andy Kunz, one of the Spektrum development team, and a couple of other radioheads, posting answers to most questions on line within minutes or hours, on RC Groups, much like Bax and Krysta do for Futaba....

So time to go Speky, right, Bob-O???

TA

Old 10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Horizon is all about the Spektrum DX18.

Of course they are... They own it !! Why put effort and marketing to get a piece of the pie when you can have the whole pie.. Pan and all !!!!

Danno
Old 10-11-2012, 08:00 AM
bcovish

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

TA
Tom
You bet. Made the switch and have not looked back once. Once I figured out that the DX 18 was a lot smarter than I am, we got along just fine. After I did the first flight on my Boomer with the DX 18, my 12X was sold. Now I'm looking to buy another DX 18
Getting ready to head to Best in the West jet rally. Hope all goes well for you
Old 10-11-2012, 08:11 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

Thomas, horizon still supports the entire JR line, and will for many years to come. My point is there are no ''JR reps'' in the stats as asked for above. I personally only know of one and that is Scott Gray, a heli guy. As for any new radio from JR, Horizon has no info regarding it.

It just seems so strange to hear that, it wasn't that long ago you couldn't midget toss a futaba rep without hitting a JR rep. What happened to the JR rep?

Disclaimer, I am not insinuating that Futaba hires midgets for reps, nor do I have a problem with the idea of midgets or midget tossing, simply stating that JR reps used to be like ladies of the night, on every street corner!
Old 10-11-2012, 08:42 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

I got one of the first, if not the first, 12X delivered to Wisconsin when they first were released by Horizon......Zero problems for almost 5 years......now have the DX-18 since last week of May.....zero problems, first on my Helos with Beast 7200 DSM-X, then my Boomerang with DSM2, and now on my UB with DSM2 using PowerSafe 1222's......running full house with TM1000, GPS, altitude, airspeed, JetCat, and G modules and STi to my IPhone and IPad.....all are plug and play.......didn't have to upgrade any RX.......

Programming is a bit different from 12X but took about 3 hours of monkey-punching the buttons till I figured it out.....IMO, slicker than the 12X in many respects.........SD card updates, of course. Personally, I like the lighter weight ergonomics of the 18 vs the boat anchor 12X.....

If JR does come out with a competitor at 18 channels, you know it is going to pricey, probably 1200 bucks at least....add to that, in my case, 8 new DMSS RX, probably at close to 300 bucks a piece, new telemetry hardware, maybe a new STi dongle, so now I have a new tranny that costs significantly more than an 18MZ while *****-canning all my DSM-X and DSM-2 stuff. There still is a market for 12X's, but that will start to dry up as more people make the change to the DX-18, if for no other reason than the telemetry....

Add to that, we have Andy Kunz, one of the Spektrum development team, and a couple of other radioheads, posting answers to most questions on line within minutes or hours, on RC Groups, much like Bax and Krysta do for Futaba....

TA

Interesting to hear that some of the 12x flyers actually like the DX18. I held it at Toledo this year and my thoughts were it feel like a cheap toy compared to 12x. Maybe I have to revisit it but, it just doesn't have that quality look of 12x or high end Futaba stuff.

I also think it's too late for JR to launch a 16/18 channel competitor. The change to their own DMSS system has really alienated them. Most people either stayed with Spek or used the opportunity to jump to Futaba.

The 18mz didn't impress me so, I didn't bite on it and I won't be buying all new rx's to go with JR's new system, especially if they stick with the "transformer" styling.

Mike

Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 AM
bcovish

The way I feel, quality looks don't fly the airplane any better or make programming any easier.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM
bcovish

The only problem I have had with the DX18 is that the "CAS" (Collision Avoidance System) failed when the tree failed to yield the right of way
Old 10-11-2012, 11:15 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: bcovish

The only problem I have had with the DX18 is that the ''CAS'' (Collision Avoidance System) failed when the tree failed to yield the right of way

Bob'o,

The "CAS" you speak of is not in the radio... It's in your head , You know, that thing between your ears.. I think the "CAS" fell out a long time ago. Probably when that mail truck turned over on top of you and you were pinned under it. If fact, I think it squished out more than the "CAS" !!!!!

Danno[8D]
Old 10-11-2012, 11:34 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

Now that was funny .
I'm in the market for a radio, my old Dx7 will fall apart any day now. But I have 8 planes  RTF  w Spektrum receivers and I don't want to change all my receivers so I'm in between the Dx18 and the 10. The 10 looks awesome but its $200 more and IMHO is not worth the extra 
Old 10-11-2012, 12:16 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DX18.. had the 12X.. havent looked back.. better radio, better programming mostly.. easier to maintain.. IMPROVED link (worth it by itself) with the dual antennas..
Old 10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
stoneenforcer

JR 11x and 12x are excellent and very secure with dual sats.

Ive found the lower cost spektrum to be of lesser quality and prone to have link issues resulting to more crashes. Had three Spektrum dsmx rx's bad right of the box recently. They were so bad, it was obvious they werent QC'd at all prior to departing the mfg plant. Personally I think their RX units are the primary link problem. Not saying other systems dont have hickups. In my experience, using Spektrum products ever since they hit the market, they were great for several years, but after switching mfg plants, ive seen the noticable QC decline. I sold my Spektum equipment and have never had another lock out, defective product or issue again. I'll gladly pay the extra bucks for realiablility and quality.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
bskyinc

Well this has turned into a spektrum bandwagon, which was not the original question or intent. Since I have the 12x and DX 18 with some jets programmed to both tx's I will say this, I personally like my 12x, and given in this world today you rarely get better quality at half the price I would gladly pay for a new 16 or 18 ch JR Radio. So back to the original intent, does anyone have any real info on if/when JR will release and what will it be
Old 10-11-2012, 02:21 PM
bcovish

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Which by the way was answered a few times in this thread.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:41 PM
bskyinc

Normally I dont respond to lack of understanding, but the only 2 posts, post#2 and post#9 provided any info about my question. So posting (NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! Which by the way was answered a few times in this thread.
) is incorrect and not useful. Try reading all the posts again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.