Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Awesome tree top recovery

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Awesome tree top recovery

Old 11-03-2012, 07:31 AM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Awesome tree top recovery

I Love that video must be a Vietnam Helicopter vet flying those boys had BALLS?

Thanks
Old 11-03-2012, 12:21 PM
cactusflyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool! Flying the Robinson is dicey at best! It seems that those guys were fairly cautious and they pulled it off with ease.

A couple quotes come to mind for the naysayers :

"Insisting on perfect safety is for people who don't have the balls to live in the real world."

— Mary Shafer, NASA Ames Dryden.

"The readiness to blame a dead pilot for an accident is nauseating, but it has been the tendency ever since I can remember. What pilot has not been in positions where he was in danger and where perfect judgment would have advised against going? But when a man is caught in such a position he is judged only by his error and seldom given credit for the times he has extricated himself from worse situations. Worst of all, blame is heaped upon him by other pilots, all of whom have been in parallel situations themselves, but without being caught in them. If one took no chances, one would not fly at all. Safety lies in the judgment of the chances one takes."

— Charles Lindbergh, journal entry 26 August 1938, published in The Wartime Journals, 1970.

Tailwinds,

John
Old 11-03-2012, 09:15 PM
HAMMERDOWN
My Feedback: (100)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haters are gonna hate.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

C'mon Siclic33 looks like a walk in the park to me, well flown, tail aware etc. any reasonably competent heli. pilot should be able to do this !

If every helicopter steadfastly stayed out of the "avoid zone" (as the RAF called it, a height and speed combo in which it was not possible to establish autorotaion in the event of an engine failure) then you might as well ground most of the world helicopter fleet !

THIS is dangerous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEA...eature=related

Some really sharp flying by a real professional doing an essential job for which the helicopter has no equal. I tip my hat to guys doing THIS job.

Views may differ.

DG.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM
Lil Hoss
My Feedback: (58)

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

C'mon Siclic33 looks like a walk in the park to me, well flown, tail aware etc. any reasonably competent heli. pilot should be able to do this !

If every helicopter steadfastly stayed out of the ''avoid zone'' (as the RAF called it, a height and speed combo in which it was not possible to establish autorotaion in the event of an engine failure) then you might as well ground most of the world helicopter fleet !

THIS is dangerous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_NEA...eature=related

Some really sharp flying by a real professional doing an essential job for which the helicopter has no equal. I tip my hat to guys doing THIS job.

Views may differ.

DG.
David....
Thanks for sharing "YOUR" video
My heart was pounding just watching those clowns getting out of the heli.
I'll bet they get paid more than minumum wage.........
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM
siclick33

David,

Believe it or not I do know what I am talking about (and I'm willing to guess that I know more than you about heli ops). Every heli pilot is taught, from day one of heli flying training, to spend as little time as possible in the avoid curve as an engine failure there may lead to death (and this is without the complication of trees).

With your insistence on upholding the highest standards of flight safety, is it not somewhat hypocritical to suggest that it is fine for a full size pilot to purposely erode their safety margins for the sake of a toy plane?

The pilot in the first video, whilst maybe looking cool, can only be classed as a cowboy.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Big difference is, the by the book/regulation abiding pilot would'nt have the skill to do it, he simple has no ability to fly out of the envelope he is taught in, why so many of them go through the hedge of a short field because they can only fly off a 5000ft long runway!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 AM
David Gladwin

Received 141 Likes on 90 Posts

You may well have forgotten more than I ever knew about heli ops., its along time since I last flew rotary (Bell 47 and Whirlwind 10s in the RAF) having trained at CFS (H) at Tern Hill about 100 years ago. Totally agree about being taught to keep out of the avoid curve when possible BUT keep out of it and you'd never get the job done !

If you think what these guys did was unacceptably unsafe you should see what the military guys * do, (and now often at night with NVGs and baddies shooting at them ) make your hair curl ! Come to think of it what the civilians do too, logging, construction, powerline patrols, cattle herding, (400 Robinson 22s doing that in Australia) you name it , not to mention what the SAR guys do. Its the jobs they do and that model collection was a walk in the park by comparison.

Illegal ? probably not, I am always amazed at what you can do in the US but isn't allowed in the UK, such as landing on virtually ANY public lake in Florida flying floatplanes at Jack Brown's seaplane base !

No, perhaps he was pushing it a little but no cowboy !

My view, I'll leave you guys to argue it out !

Regards,

David.

* and girls ! The first female recipient of the AFC in the RAF was lady helicopter pilot, Merlin, who performed a dangerous and successful night casevac under fire.
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
siclick33

its along time since I last flew rotary
An apology may be in order in my part. I didn't realise you had flown rotary as well as fixed wing.

not to mention what the SAR guys do
Funny you should say that
Old 11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
FILE IFR

ORIGINAL: David Gladwin

You may well have forgotten more than I ever knew about heli ops., its along time since I last flew rotary (Bell 47 and Whirlwind 10s in the RAF) having trained at CFS (H) at Tern Hill about 100 years ago.

Does anyone remember this Commander's name?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33637.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	1817554  
Old 11-04-2012, 12:43 PM
rcguy59
My Feedback: (8)

If it weren't for their ability to operate in the "avoid zone" we wouldn't need the damned things and no sane person would ever have bothered to invent them in the first place.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:24 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: rcguy59

If it weren't for their ability to operate in the ''avoid zone'' we wouldn't need the damned things and no sane person would ever have bothered to invent them in the first place.
Probably the best point of the lot

There is a video somewhere of a heli landed on a wall on the side of a bridge to rescue someone.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:00 AM
Flying Arrow
My Feedback: (6)

Awsome....great sence of humor....