Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

jet flying in NC

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

jet flying in NC

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
Flynstuff
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jet flying in NC

Any good jet flying sites in NC. Jacksonville area??
Old 10-30-2012, 08:32 PM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: jet flying in NC

Grass or concrete?

I am about an hour from Jacksonville here in Kinston NC and there are a lot of flying clubs here in eastern NC. Ive flown my Torus boomer from just about all the fields in the area. But some of those fields are not suited for any other other airframe type. We have a fairly new field (800 feet) here in Kinston that is being groomed very nicely and is a bit smoother and can handle other jet types. I fly my BD-5 and have flown my AD Scorpion off there with no concerns. Of course the boomer is a non issue. The NC Space Cowboys in Greenville NC (about an hour and 1/2 from Jacksonville ) has a 1500 ft very smooth runway but there is a treeline about 500ft away that parallels the strip for about 1/2 the length of the runway. Doesn't bother me but I grew up flying there.

Im not aware of any Concrete runways open for general flying. The guys at The Raleigh/Durham R/C club in Zebulon have a 300 ft asphalt strip and there are several turbine pilots in that area. I think there are some are enlisted fellows flying off the runways at New River Air Station right there in Jacksonville and at MCAS Cherry Point right down the road.

For the past 3 years on Memorial day weekend a very large and growing jet event called "First In Flight" has taken place at the county airport in Wilson NC. How does 5000 ft of concrete sound to ya?
This year the event fathers told me that flying would start on weds. and go through Sunday.

Give me a shout out when you get into the area.

take care

Mike
Old 10-31-2012, 04:25 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

I didn't know RC flying was allowed on Cherry Pont's runway. That's cool. I wonder if they'll let anyone with a military ID fly there?
Steve
Old 10-31-2012, 05:20 AM
zonker123
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: meps

I didn't know RC flying was allowed on Cherry Pont's runway. That's cool. I wonder if they'll let anyone with a military ID fly there?
Steve
Steve
I don't know that for sure, I'm only repeating something I heard 3rd hand.
My PMs to you keep bouncing back, will you send me an email when you have the opportunity so I can update?

Thanks pal!.

mike
Old 10-31-2012, 09:50 AM
meps
My Feedback: (10)

Mike, it's [email protected]
Steve