Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Sad day at Speedworld

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Sad day at Speedworld

Old 10-31-2012, 01:46 PM
Chris Balling

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sad day at Speedworld

Sadly, today was the last day of flying at Speedword in Phoenix. Following a three month attempt by our club, our attorney's, and the attorney's representing AMA we've been totally unsuccessful in an attempt to remain open. The State of Arizona is, at this juncture, demanding that we make no further contact with their representatives. So, following a brief flying session this morning we rolled up the rug, stored all movable item and bid a sad farewell to one of the premier RC flying sites in the country. The Arizona Republic (Phoenix Newspaper) had a reporter and photographer on hand to record our demise and will publish our story in Saturday's edition. Let me take this opportunity to thank each of you for your suggestion's, encouragement, and support these last few months. A special thank you must go to the AMA (they've really tried), and to the many pilots who signed letters at Best in the West for our Governors review. I'll keep you posted as to any future positive progress. In the meantime keep the nose up, power on, and trap the # 3 wire.

Chris Balling
Old 10-31-2012, 01:53 PM
u2fast
My Feedback: (37)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Sad day at Speedworld

sad news indeed. barry
Old 10-31-2012, 01:58 PM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know there was a fight going on.

Is there a link to the rest of this story?

******EDIT******

I just googled it... and found a raceway web site. It looks like it was private owned. Did the state close it down? Looks like a great place.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:26 PM
Billy
My Feedback: (15)

Speedworld was one of the best places to fly. This will effect alot of pilots, a lot who may not even fly there regularly.

Did all of the r/c activities shut down there or was it just the runway?

Billy
Old 10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
hooker53
My Feedback: (106)

Chris. So sad and sorry to hear this. I signed the first electronic petition and was hoping things would turn around for you guys. Keep us posted on the precedings involved.

Roy.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:19 PM
NickC5FE
My Feedback: (31)

Sorry Chris, i was looking forward to coming out in December when i visit Phx! Hopefully the book hasnt been closed for good. Nick
Old 10-31-2012, 05:40 PM
Race21
My Feedback: (20)

Sorry to hear the news Chris.

Thank you for all of your efforts to keep Speedworld open and for being such a wonderful CD at DJS.

As you said- "Nose up, power on...." I hope that this is merely a set back and not the demise of DJS. The event was extraordinary and talked about often amongst the CO gang. We will think positively and hope the search for an alternate site is fruitful. Please continue to keep us updated and let us know what we can do to help support you and the cause.

J.P.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:42 PM
mtnflyer14

Chris,
Best of luck to you and Speedworld RC in pulling out of this. Let's all hope for an "OK, NO comment" pass in the near future! I know that Desert Storm Jets was the draw for folks outside Phoenix, but this is a real blow to all your regular club members. I certainly enjoyed my flying at Speedworld on my winter visits to Phoenix.
Regards,
Gus
Old 11-01-2012, 05:37 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how can they demand that you make no further contact with your elected represenatives in state govt?? As long as you are not harrassing, threatening or otherwise disrupting the process of goverment, you should be able to communicate with your elected officials at any time about any concerns.
Old 11-01-2012, 06:27 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of us coming late here's a fairly ballanced article

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...unty-says.html

Sad news is you've got a land owner who's out of code and a code enforcement agency that hasn't done its job in decades, all of a sudden deciding to do its job.

Ignorance of the law is...
Old 11-01-2012, 07:07 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

I read that but haven't found any recent articles.  I'm wondering if there has been a change in the guard within the local government and someone has it in for the business owner. Seems the entire operation brings in big dollars to the local economy and it would be foolish to shut that down /cut it off while some legal details are worked out. Possibly more to this story than has been told?
Old 11-01-2012, 07:14 AM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: JeffH

how can they demand that you make no further contact with your elected represenatives in state govt?? As long as you are not harrassing, threatening or otherwise disrupting the process of goverment, you should be able to communicate with your elected officials at any time about any concerns.
I don't think these are elected officials.

I shouldnt post from my phone, UHHH
Old 11-01-2012, 07:24 AM
cactusflyer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmmm it's just a shame that there isn't an election coming up for a hotly contested senatorial seat so that the candidates would commit to put some "pressure" on the hired help.......but wait there is......[:-]

Tailwinds,

John
Old 11-01-2012, 07:48 AM
lopflyers
My Feedback: (12)

So sorry to hear this.
I know first hand what you guys are going thru, 2 yrs ago they closed RC World here in Orlando . It was just engulfed by housing deivelopments.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Dr Honda

Thanks for linking the story.

It's a shame that you guys are loosing the flying site... but it really sounds like the owners were just trying to get around the local laws.

I'm not sure why the owner wouldn't have just done a temp closure. That would have put him in "Good Favor" with the building people, and I'm sure, he would have been re-opened quick. Now it sounds like it's a forced closure, and loss of his Biz.

Keep us posted if they get you guys re-opened.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:37 AM
RogieVee

That just STINKS Chris.... hopefully people will come to their senses.... Magoo
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 AM
dirtybird

I have a friend that is a member of that club. He tells me the trouble is not the county but the proprietor, Mathews. Apparently he has done things to the property without securing permits. They have asked him to bring the improvement up to the code that would cost over $1m. He don't have the money. He is now on vacation in Mexico. We speculate he is there to avoid subpenas.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Joe C
My Feedback: (23)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Iam sorry to hear this Chris, Best of luck to the club, I hope you find a new home soon. Joe C!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 AM
sskianpour
My Feedback: (2)

Chris, devastated to hear this. Hopefully the regular flyers get a new venue soon so they can keep their thumbs and fingers nimble. And on a selfish note, I hope this doesn't mean you are throwing the towel in on Desert Jet Storm, the premiere winter jet event. Keep us posted bud, and lets get that February event rocking and rolling again at a different venue.

All my best,
Shaz
Old 11-01-2012, 10:54 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

Sad Indeed. What are they doing with it Soccer Fields???? That happened here in Missouri 20 years ago or so.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:15 PM
stoneenforcer
My Feedback: (23)

this sure leaves a lot of unanswered questions. sorry to hear pilots have lost a flying site. hopefully, the club can move to another location.
Old 11-01-2012, 01:52 PM
wahoo
My Feedback: (59)

Dan Matthews should not have hired an attorney to "fight City Hall" at all.
He should have done it the American way, started at the bottom and padded the back pockets all the way to the top of everyone that had anything to do with land managment. Simple,
It's all about the $$$

He'd still be in business today.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
flyinwalenda

Maybe someone didn't get enough "padding" !
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Sounds like if he gets the permits he is good to go, hoping he does that and gets it going again.
Old 11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
BCJETJOCK

The only part of his sports complex that was shut down, was the R/C part. The rest is still open (Drag strip, Motorcross track, Dirt track, and Sand Drag/Mud Pit Racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.