Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

G Booster 160 95% humidity you know what comes next

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

G Booster 160 95% humidity you know what comes next

Old 10-21-2012, 10:41 AM
Philip Cooper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G Booster 160 95% humidity you know what comes next

Just filled a G booster to my nice large skymaster Viper jet.

Ground tested today at the club, not raining but damp, cold normal UK weather. Ran the plane for around 10 minutes in total, had some UAT issues...

Now the engine seemed to run ok, just when spooling up/asked to accelerate, it sputtered and farted, and in the end flamed out.... sending flames out the back, which with the wind on its tail blew forward and have bubbled my paint around the tail cone..sad

I have read the posts on here regarding the G Booster and high humidity, today was 95% according to the forecast.

Now I am assuming this might be the known humidity issue with these, but would a fuel feed/bockage cause a huge flame out the back?

My question is, at what humidity does this issue start/go away? In the UK here its often humid? Will this engine not work reliably in the UK? Ive run it before today and not noticed this effect, but have not kept a record of humidity.

Just wondering if any G Booster owners have any experience with when maybe not to use this engine?Ie what humidity % issues arise?

Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM
bandit_av
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: G Booster 160 95% humidity you know what comes next

Hi Philip
According to our experience try to get in touch with Arno, the EvoJet turbines company owner, to us he was very helpful.
Maybe you will end up with a software update.
One tip I can give you, in the parameters we dialed the accel. to soft and gave the delay time one more second and it is working
like a dream in our very warm weather and sometimes heavy humidity.
Hope It will help you
Avi
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Philip Cooper

Yes thanks for your suggestion I will email them tomorrow, and I have dealt with Didi before (not sure if its the same company) but he was super helpful.

I have always liked the engine myself, I have just checked the fuel system and it was all fine.

When I throttled up it was giving the pop pop fart noises a little, before this.

Phil
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM
Philip Cooper

Also it is very cold here, but still damp 95% humidity so I think there is still the same less oxygen more water in the air.

Phil
Old 10-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

It is good practice to face the jet into the wind when running up on the ground to avoid issues like your damaged paint..
Old 10-21-2012, 07:29 PM
PaulD
My Feedback: (39)

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Arno and Diddi parted ways a couple of years ago. Arno = Evojet, Diddi= Gbooster/IQ Hammer.

Sounds like lack of compression/pressure. Wonder if a slightly higher idle might help. I also thought the issues were associated with higher temps/altitude density.?

PaulD
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 AM
djay

Hi Phil, asides from the humidity problem, you should always point the nose of the aircraft into the wind when starting.
The wind up the tailpipe will not helpo at all, and will cause some of the cough and spluttering.
I have had this on full size turbines when running aircraft after maintenance as well.
My G Booster 80 I recently purchased has the same issue, but goes poof with a big cloud of smoke out the back. When the humidity drops it runs a treat.

Good luck.

Darryl J
Old 10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
Miltiadis

Hi Phil,

please check the distance between the thrust pipe and the engine cone. Also you can see on the gsu the fuel pump voltage, if there is a remark (!) next to the voltage number, then something is wrong with the fuel system (maybe a dirt or bubbles in to the system).

We had the same problem and solved it, when the engine went back to Arno and find some dirt in the startup valve. The engine had only 20min without any flight.

Milt
Old 10-22-2012, 11:47 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: Miltiadis

Hi Phil,

please check the distance between the thrust pipe and the engine cone.
What should this distance be and where is it measured from (i.e. thrust pipe, bell mouth, end of engine cone, etc..)?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Philip Cooper

Hi guys, thanks for the replies,

It was actually a taxi test, checking breaks, steering etc. The engine had probably been running 7 minutes, the plane driven 400 meters and this happened when it was facing nose downwind. The engine has been successfully run in the plane probably 10 times before this day.

I have emailed Diddi, and will try some of your checks.

Thanks

Phil
Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: CraigG

Hi Phil,

What should this distance be and where is it measured from (i.e. thrust pipe, bell mouth, end of engine cone, etc..)?

Thanks
my op: never less than an inch.. 1.25 for that size motor optimum.. also you need to be able to get two fingers around the cone in a tapered setup..so boundary air can be pulled in by the exhaust velocity.. it also keeps things cool that way..

What you might try is adding acceleration delay in the humidity.. also add 20 points to the stability delay and try that.. up the idle 2-3ooo rpm those three things should help off idle performance.. If a turbine begins to gurgle and stall, always pull it to idle..most of the time things dont clear otherwise.. if it is still gurgling at idle after an event.. shut it down..
Old 10-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Miltiadis

Hi Phil,

Thanks
If i remember correct, the distance between the thrust pipe and the engine cone, is the diameter of the thrust pipe minus the diameter of the exhaust cone of the engine. You can measure it from the end of the cone to the start of the thrust pipe.

Miltiadis
Old 10-23-2012, 02:33 AM
CraigG
My Feedback: (40)

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi Phil,

Thanks
If i remember correct, the distance between the thrust pipe and the engine cone, is the diameter of the thrust pipe minus the diameter of the exhaust cone of the engine. You can measure it from the end of the cone to the start of the thrust pipe.

Miltiadis
Thanks!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:41 PM
Philip Cooper

Would anyone have an up to date email for Diddi?

I emailed from their site and get an error message invalid token.

I emailed from the last email I had and have had no reply[email protected]

This is in no way moaning he was super helpful last time we had dealings and a top bloke...

Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Karsten022

Hello,

please try the following address:

[email protected]

Best regards,
Karsten
Old 10-27-2012, 01:03 PM
Philip Cooper

ORIGINAL: gooseF22

Hi Phil,

Thanks
my op: never less than an inch.. 1.25 for that size motor optimum.. also you need to be able to get two fingers around the cone in a tapered setup..so boundary air can be pulled in by the exhaust velocity.. it also keeps things cool that way..

What you might try is adding acceleration delay in the humidity.. also add 20 points to the stability delay and try that.. up the idle 2-3ooo rpm those three things should help off idle performance.. If a turbine begins to gurgle and stall, always pull it to idle..most of the time things dont clear otherwise.. if it is still gurgling at idle after an event.. shut it down..
Hi thanks for the tips, I have the Graupner Jetronic VX ECU. In here there seems to be no adjustment for acceleration delay etc... is it ok to add that to the throttle on the TX? (Maybe this is what you meant anyway)

I also seem to have no stability delay option? Is there advanced options?

Thanks
Phil

Old 10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Philip Cooper

Does anybody know if this ecu has a hidden menu for these adjustments?

Old 11-02-2012, 11:16 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Philip,
I don't remember seeing any adjustments in the ECU, and I can't find my instructions.

I too had a problem one wet miserable day last year (the RAFLeuchars Airshow) when both my G-Boosters played up. They have been fine before and since. I would not normally try to fly in wet weather.

When I was in touch with Turbo Diddi I too found him very friendly and helpful. I have the same email address as Karsten.

If you do get an answer from him, and a solution to the running problems in high humidity, please post it up as I would be very interested.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Philip Cooper

Hi thanks for your reply.

I have had no luck contacting Diddi, maybe I will phone call next week.

I did get a reply from Arno at evojetwho seems to suggest there was an issue with some engines made in 2007 which mine fits into.

I tested the engine again last week, and while it did not flame out this time it did gurgle on spool up. If I accelerate slower it seems ok, but there seems to be no adjustment for the acceleration ramp that I can find.

I seem to remember Diddi mentioning a hidden menu that you accessed with a sequence of buttons.....

Old 11-03-2012, 02:53 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

The only acceleration options on that era engine from what I remember is called Hard or Soft on the ECU. I have no idea what menu number it is anymore, although for some reason 23 sticks in my head, I had a Booster 160+ that I never had any problems with, but it was more friendly when the throttle setting was set to "soft".