Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Servo Pulse - Weatronics

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Servo Pulse - Weatronics

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Servo Pulse - Weatronics

I'm using Hitec servos, which have a refresh pulse rate of 20ms (50 Hz). I'm using Weatronics (Giga control version 2.3, Rx/Tx firmware 2.33), which allow setting the specific refresh rate for each servo. However the closest options are 18ms or 21ms. Which on is better for a servo that expects 20ms refresh?
Is 21ms better because at 18ms the servo may have issues keeping up? Or is 21ms worse because the servo is not updated frequently enough?
Thanks!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo Pulse - Weatronics

18mz would be the best 21mz is acually faster than the servos.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:56 PM
HarryC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: fw190pilot

18mz would be the best 21mz is acually faster than the servos.
You clearly don't understand this at all.
Edgar, either 18 or 21 will work and neither you or the servos will notice any difference. iirc the factory default is 18, I leave all mine at the default and all servos work fine.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:04 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not use 21 . Use 18 using a higher refresh rate you could get some intermitting or what looks like uneven movement of the servo. The servo can take up to 20ms refresh rate not more.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:25 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: proline8000

Do not use 21 . Use 18 using a higher refresh rate you could get some intermitting or what looks like uneven movement of the servo. The servo can take up to 20ms refresh rate not more.
Yet another one who doesn't understand. 21ms is a SLOWER rate of refresh.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM
HarryC

Let's put some context on these numbers and explain the misunderstandings by proline and fw190.

ms refers to the number of milli seconds between each frame of data. The higher the number, the longer the time between frames. 21ms is a longer time to wait than 18ms. So 21ms is a slower refresh rate than 18ms.

There is a common myth that good old PPM ran at 50Hz or 20ms between frames. But that's only an approximation to make for easy explanations of how radio control worked. Different tx and different brands ran at slightly different rates and servos were designed to cope with a range of refresh rates around 20ms, but they were not fixed to work at 20ms and nothing else - if they were, they would work with very very few tx! For example, Multiplex and Graupner Tx in 12 channel mode were generating PPM pulses well in excess of 20ms, the data log in my Weatronic module shows the Mpx tx is sending a frame to the module every 25ms, and every servo I used with it on ppm, whether cheap analogue or expensive digital likeJR8511 all worked perfectly at 40Hz, 25ms. Some tx such as 4 channel didn't need to wait the whole 20ms for a frame and could repeat a bit faster and servos had to work with those as well, so they can cope with refresh a bit faster than 20ms. Not much faster, but a bit faster.
Hence 18 or 21ms is fine and all my servos attached to Wea work perfectly on either.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:21 AM
Edgar Perez

Thanks for the feedback so far.
In general I have been using the default (18ms) with no problem. However I have a new setup where the servo is moving agressively back and forth. If I touch the surface, it will stop. This is frecuent, but not all th etime. I'm wondering if the refresh rate may be a factor here.

When using the slower refresh rate, the 1ms gap (21-20) means the servo is "needing" and update and not getting it... ?
When using the faster refresh rate, the 2ms (20-18) means the servo may not yet "done" with the previous move and now getting the new position too early.. ?

So early (18) is always better than late (21)?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2012, 07:29 AM
HarryC

Edgar, the servo spends most of its working life "needing" an update and very little of its time getting an update. The servo data pulse will be between 0.9 and 2.1ms long. Then it has to wait approx 18ms with no data until another data pulse of 0.9-2.1ms comes along and then it sits idle for another approx 18ms. Thus changing the refresh rate from 21 ms to 18ms simply means it sits idle for 3ms less but it is still sitting idle for approx 15ms. It makes no practical difference, the servo electronics are designed for a pulse at around 20ms but with latitude either side of that.
Servo behaviour like that is much more suggestive of a faulty servo. You used the magic word "Hitec" and that's the first place I would be looking for any fault. I won't let them into my workshop let alone into my models. But that's a story for another thread.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 AM
madmodelman

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Edgar, what Harry says.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Edgar Perez

Thanks for the feedback so far.
In general I have been using the default (18ms) with no problem. However I have a new setup where the servo is moving agressively back and forth. If I touch the surface, it will stop. This is frecuent, but not all th etime. I'm wondering if the refresh rate may be a factor here.

When using the slower refresh rate, the 1ms gap (21-20) means the servo is ''needing'' and update and not getting it... ?
When using the faster refresh rate, the 2ms (20-18) means the servo may not yet ''done'' with the previous move and now getting the new position too early.. ?

So early (18) is always better than late (21)?

Thanks!
If you are getting an occasional slight buzzing from the servo this is normal and I wouldn't worry about it. If you can actually see the control surface moving, that's a problem. Verify that your linkage is slop free as sloppy linkage can also cause this behavior. If all your linkages are tight and operate smoothly but you can see a control surface jittering, I'd remove the servo and send it back for repair or replacement. Also, you didn't mention what voltage you are operating at. Hitec has a service bulletin for this type of behavior on their 7900 series servos when operated with unregulated Lipos...

Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM
fw190pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whoops I stand corrected I always get that backwards.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:22 PM
roger.alli

ORIGINAL: HarryC

Let's put some context on these numbers and explain the misunderstandings by proline and fw190.

ms refers to the number of milli seconds between each frame of data. The higher the number, the longer the time between frames. 21ms is a longer time to wait than 18ms. So 21ms is a slower refresh rate than 18ms.

There is a common myth that good old PPM ran at 50Hz or 20ms between frames. But that's only an approximation to make for easy explanations of how radio control worked. Different tx and different brands ran at slightly different rates and servos were designed to cope with a range of refresh rates around 20ms, but they were not fixed to work at 20ms and nothing else - if they were, they would work with very very few tx! For example, Multiplex and Graupner Tx in 12 channel mode were generating PPM pulses well in excess of 20ms, the data log in my Weatronic module shows the Mpx tx is sending a frame to the module every 25ms, and every servo I used with it on ppm, whether cheap analogue or expensive digital likeJR8511 all worked perfectly at 40Hz, 25ms. Some tx such as 4 channel didn't need to wait the whole 20ms for a frame and could repeat a bit faster and servos had to work with those as well, so they can cope with refresh a bit faster than 20ms. Not much faster, but a bit faster.
Hence 18 or 21ms is fine and all my servos attached to Wea work perfectly on either.
Thank for the detailed explanation Harry. I have always wondered what the refresh rate settings did on Gigacontrol. Now I understand..

Roger
Old 11-08-2012, 05:05 PM
Edgar Perez

Awesome, Thanks!
Old 11-09-2012, 04:08 AM
proline8000
My Feedback: (12)

Harryc yes you are right I was in the middle of somthing at work and was not going to post but must have ( brain fart) . The only differance you may see if you use 18ms or 21ms is when you use servo reverse the servo center may move. This is the same thing as when you use different mfg's servos on your factory systems
Old 11-09-2012, 04:16 AM
HarryC

ORIGINAL: proline8000

Harryc yes you are right I was in the middle of somthing at work and was not going to post but must have ( brain fart) . The only differance you may see if you use 18ms or 21ms is when you use servo reverse the servo center may move. This is the same thing as when you use different mfg's servos on your factory systems
No it won't proline. The centre is determined by what the servo has been designed to use as centre timing in the data pulse. If a servo was designed to centre at 1.5ms and you send it a 1.5ms pulse, the servo will centre. It makes no differnce if you send it the 1.5ms pulse once every 18ms or once every 21ms.