RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New DX18QQ Quique S edition

Old 11-16-2012, 01:37 PM
marquisvns

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New DX18QQ Quique S edition

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rmcmd

I am pissed! I bought mine less than 2 months ago. Here is a quote from the Spektrum website regarding the DX18: ''And you'll always be up to date with the latest version of Spektrum Airware thanks to the Spektrum Community and the Spektrum Data Interface. '' Now they are advertising the DX18QQ with ''exclusive software features''. It does not appear that any of these new software features will be available for the DX18. This is unacceptable support for those of us who have already purchased a DX18. If Spektrum (and HH) succeed with this, they will then be able to come out with a new ''limited edition'' every 6 months or so with new exclusive software, forcing us to buy a new transmitter in order to get the new ''software''. It may be time for legal action.
R. Michael Cummins, MD
Sign me up for class action, there are plenty of us.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:11 PM
Tluu

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

A buddy of mine bought the dx18 from a LHS 2 week ago, now he's pissed because he thought he got the newest and best tx spectrum can offer. It makes me think that when I'm ready to upgrade and purchase one, are they(spektrum) going to come out with an upgraded one a couple of month later? They should not hide their product until the day of the release. It's a nice looking radio, but I don't care for the name and signature on the screen

Tri Luu
Old 11-17-2012, 01:41 AM
DominicM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tluu
I don't care for the name and signature on the screen
Really does take vanity to an all new level. Who is this Quique guy anyway?!

I can do without the bling but having a DX18 with limited programming compared to this QQ thing is not amusing. Sort it out Horizon.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:26 AM
Bob_B

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: DominicM

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Tluu
I don't care for the name and signature on the screen
Really does take vanity to an all new level. Who is this Quique guy anyway?!

I can do without the bling but having a DX18 with limited programming compared to this QQ thing is not amusing. Sort it out Horizon.

Quique Somenzini is a World champion pilot. He is the originator of 3D manuevers hence his logo.
He is one of the most humble individuals you will ever meet. He is a long time friend.
Old 11-17-2012, 04:43 AM
PHIL GREENO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Idont think there is any point in getting upset when a manufacturer brings out a new or special edition models.We see it all the time with computers,I phones,all electronic consumer items,cars ,televisions, everything you buy has a limited wow factor and then it is upgraded or a new special edition released.It does not mean your item is useless.If you purchased a DX18 in original form you would have looked at the spec and price at the time and made a decision that is what you wanted and it fitted your requirements at that time.Just recently we have had the iphone 5 and Windows 8 released but we all havn't upgraded as if the our lives could not function without them.If the new DX18QQ is just what you want then go buy one and sell your existing DX18, simple.As they say"thats life"

Phil.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50120.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	1821166   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33206.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1821167  
Old 11-17-2012, 04:57 AM
Mustang1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here's my .02. After all, that's what these forums are for, right?

I, for one, am all about function versus bling. In fact I actually prefer "sleepers" and would rather have the regular DX18 look with the updated features. Never been the type to plaster Tommy Hilfiger, etc. across my chest...

I have confirmed with Horizon that the "regular" DX18 WILL NOT be able to update to get the cool new software features. Not having to turn your radio off every time you want to access the system menu is a huge bonus (thought it was silly when JR had it and then Spektrum carried it over?!).

This is a bit disappointing for recent purchasers of the "regular" DX18. By recent, I mean EVERYONE since the radio is no even a year old! Hopefully with enough rumblings from us they will change theor position on this. Seems like it should be do-able. As a poster has already stated Spektrum promised us the radio would be easily updateable using the AIRWARE system.

In the meantime, anyone in the market for a lightly used "regular" DX18 with case ;-)

-Sean Curry

PS-with this said, I am still a big Horizon fan. They have way more in the plus colum than the minus but hope they will work with us on this one....
Old 11-17-2012, 05:04 AM
smitty1001

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the point is that the "spec at the time" was that there would be airware updates to the latest features - big selling point. The people that are upset on here it seems, get the signature series thing, don't really want all the bling and branding, but are a little sore that one of the major selling points (always able to download the latest and greatest) now has an "except"

Combine that with the fact that the blue boys that we all trust have recently said "horizon is all about the dx-18" and many of us just recently purchased the radio, it makes sense to me that people are bent.

The software thing and surprise release is crap and the involved parties know it.
Old 11-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Dr Honda

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK... I just bought my DX18... and I said I wasn't upset (and I'm really not)... but after thinking about it....

Even if Spektrum released the software upgrade to the regular radios... the "QQ" version would still be the the special addition, since it looks different, and came with all the goodies.

With that said... the only one of the new software features I would like is the 3 step throttle trim. I can live without the other stuff. Actually... I wish it had an analog throttle trim like the JR radios. (but can't have everything)
Old 11-17-2012, 05:39 AM
PHIL GREENO

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes i can understand this point about software upgrades to the existing DX18. I don't know if there is a technical reason or a pure marketing reason why the existing set can not be upgraded to the QQ version.Maybe Horizon can explain.I will be receiving my order of DX18QQ sets on Monday here in the UK so I will give the new set a full once over and compare it to the standard DX18 to find out.If you forget the cosmetic upgrades one very good point is that the set comes with a 12 channel power safe receiver and X-plus expansion rx module included.

Phil
Old 11-17-2012, 06:10 AM
smitty1001

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Phil, I think we're on the same page - all the extras are well worth (even exceed) the price difference as blue man group has described elsewhere, effectively rendering the software features with no $ value. So why withhold the airware upgrades from the legacy 18's? Hell, like David Reid said in another thread CHARGE us for them if you have to but don't withhold them? If I had a jet with canards I'd be really pissed! Lol!

But right now, my batteries are done so I'm going flying... with my DSM2 JR 9303 [X(]
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 AM
DominicM

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
legacy 18's
[X(]
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM
drac1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the "exclusive software" for the QQ was made available to everyone, then the purchasers of the QQ would be pissed.

No matter what you buy there is always something better just around the corner. It's the nature of technology advancement.

Also if the manufacturers said they had something new coming out before the release date, then sales on the existing models would stop.

It definitely sounds like it would be a good Tx. Just wish it had mechanical trim on throttle.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Frank Ts Stuff

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

For the mechanical throttle trim I read about a neat trick in another thread. Assign one of your sliders as the throttle trim. It may seem a bit unorthodox but it is a pretty innovative solution....
Old 11-17-2012, 08:56 AM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FUTABA is your friend
Quote:
ORIGINAL: marquisvns

Quote:
ORIGINAL: rmcmd

I am pissed! I bought mine less than 2 months ago. Here is a quote from the Spektrum website regarding the DX18: ''And you'll always be up to date with the latest version of Spektrum Airware thanks to the Spektrum Community and the Spektrum Data Interface. '' Now they are advertising the DX18QQ with ''exclusive software features''. It does not appear that any of these new software features will be available for the DX18. This is unacceptable support for those of us who have already purchased a DX18. If Spektrum (and HH) succeed with this, they will then be able to come out with a new ''limited edition'' every 6 months or so with new exclusive software, forcing us to buy a new transmitter in order to get the new ''software''. It may be time for legal action.
R. Michael Cummins, MD
Sign me up for class action, there are plenty of us.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM
drac1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That would work, but i find i have better control using my thumb on the trims, rather than my finger on the side.

I am very happy with my 12X. That does have mechanical trim on throttle.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:11 AM
bcovish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: Frank Ts Stuff

For the mechanical throttle trim I read about a neat trick in another thread. Assign one of your sliders as the throttle trim. It may seem a bit unorthodox but it is a pretty innovative solution....
I assigned my throttle trim to the left slider, works great.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 AM
drac1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use my left slider for inflight mixture control. But in a situation where i didn't have the mechanical trim on throttle, i could use the right slider.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
bcovish

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I can see it now, someone showing up at an event with their signature series DX18QQ, with a Jet Central Lewis Patton special edition turbine mounted in a signature series Ultra Bandit wearing Ellen Degeneres signature underwear.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
CARS II

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fender
Are you looking to get wipeout? I would stay out of this dicusion then again, long live Futaba

Sorry, I just had to do it. [:@] [:@] [:@]

I would be upset too, I considered this radio but held from getting it to give it sometime for the bugs and any other thing to come out before buying, and here we go.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
luv2flyrc

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: FenderBean

FUTABA is your friend
REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

Old 11-17-2012, 11:38 AM
murdock0700

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the bottom line is Horizon realized that they sold the DX-18 too cheap. If they bring a product to market to be in direct compitition with Futaba and JR 12+ channel Radio's and have the product with 18 channel's and all the programming and bells and whistles that this Radio has, and sell it for 1/2 (or less in most cases) , they left a lot of money on the table. Not to mention that my ( and a lot of your ) first impressions were that it has to be junk... You know what I am talking about... The common sense question that FIRST comes to mind is, How can it be that much better and cost that much less. In this case I think that they realized that they might even have sold more DX-18's by now if the price would have been higher. Hence the "new " DX-18QQ... Add a few lost leaders, fancy case, dog tag, and poof... back in the real market world. As far as the whole Spektrum - JR saga goes, seeing how Horizon Hobby's owns Spektrum and they have taken this new and obvious marketing strategy, I can't help but believe that the humble, bend over backwards service for JR products will not continue. If I was JR Ltd, I would be taking a second look at Horizon as their Exclusive Distributor for the United States. JR, Futaba, and Spectrum are the " Big 3 " in the U.S. for Radio Control systems, But in my eyes Spectrum ain't Ford or G.M....

That's my .02 cents worth.. I think were up to a couple hundred buck by now..

HM

Old 11-17-2012, 01:51 PM
rcjetsaok

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: bcovish

I can see it now, someone showing up at an event with their signature series DX18QQ, with a Jet Central Lewis Patton special edition turbine mounted in a signature series Ultra Bandit wearing Ellen Degeneres signature underwear.

Bob'o

The only thing you won't have to spend money on is the Ellen underwear... You already got a drawer full of those drawers !!!

Danno
Old 11-17-2012, 01:54 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah okay, well joking around with Barry and sorry you got taken to the bank but its not worth starting the bashing when I was joking with a friend[:-]
Quote:
ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Quote:

FUTABA is your friend
REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

Old 11-17-2012, 02:32 PM
mr_matt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

Quote:

FUTABA is your friend

Mike

I think the 14MZ has been discontinued that is closeout price
Old 11-17-2012, 03:55 PM
Tom Antlfinger

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I posted a query over on the DX-18 thread, but just asking it here as well to John Redman....

Will I be able to load all 8 planes off my DX-18 using an SD card import/export transfer, or will the new software on the QQ not allow that....finally finished transferring 8 planes from my 12X to my 18.......very time consuming....

I don't see this issue addressed in the QQ manual on the HH site.....

TA

Search this Thread