Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New DX18QQ Quique S edition

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New DX18QQ Quique S edition

Old 11-17-2012, 04:54 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: New DX18QQ Quique S edition

ORIGINAL: drac1

If the ''exclusive software'' for the QQ was made available to everyone, then the purchasers of the QQ would be pissed.
I doubt that would be the case, since QQ customers have all the other hardware included in the package, not mentioning QQ's signature

I would just hate to see if someone maxed out all the comparatively limited amount of sliders and switches and having to still rely on throttle trim to shut down a turbine and, in a time of need,wasn't able to. In the end, perhaps Horizon/Spektrum would have to be in the picture in terms of liability because it would take the pilot to hold and wait that throttle trim for minimum of 24 (100 clicks on default trim step) clicks before the engine shuts.

I am plenty satisfied with my bland 18 : ) However, I believe all the best and latest software, especially for sake of safety should be made available to all DX18 users, regardless of QQ or not.

Cheers,
Barry
Old 11-17-2012, 06:32 PM
gooseF22

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Frank Ts Stuff

For the mechanical throttle trim I read about a neat trick in another thread. Assign one of your sliders as the throttle trim. It may seem a bit unorthodox but it is a pretty innovative solution....
the standard 18 has slider as trim built in.. I use it now, trim menu.. you can select the digital trim, left or right slider...

Here is an idea to help: Everyone has seen the "I" button on top.. Set it as a throttle cut.. Yes its the trainer and bind button, so.......

1. Bind from the menu

2. IF you buddybox someone, Go to the training menu and set the enable switch to the BACK button on front of the transmitter.. I say the BACK because the CLEAR button clears the clock.. so when you do training, use the back button from now on, set the "I" button to kill, and that would free up your left slider for those that want it back.. or you can use the digital L/R trim like the DX8 for trim too..

For me, the left slider works fine,but I know some guys like smoke or speed brakes on that slider..

I moved my training button to BACK and I like it so far because i use the Cut for glow/gas birds because I dont want to move the trim from a good idle position.. takes a little getting used to because its below the sticks instead of above it, but its pretty natural after a couple mins..

try it..
Old 11-17-2012, 06:43 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

If the ''exclusive software'' for the QQ was made available to everyone, then the purchasers of the QQ would be pissed.
I doubt that would be the case, since QQ customers have all the other hardware included in the package, not mentioning QQ's signature

I would just hate to see if someone maxed out all the comparatively limited amount of sliders and switches and having to still rely on throttle trim to shut down a turbine and, in a time of need,wasn't able to. In the end, perhaps Horizon/Spektrum would have to be in the picture in terms of liability because it would take the pilot to hold and wait that throttle trim for minimum of 24 (100 clicks on default trim step) clicks before the engine shuts.

I am plenty satisfied with my bland 18 : ) However, I believe all the best and latest software, especially for sake of safety should be made available to all DX18 users, regardless of QQ or not.

Cheers,
Barry
Purchasers are paying for a limited edition with extras only available on that particular model, so would not expect them to made available to other models?? Maybe or maybe not. Just my thoughts.

I don't fly turbines, (i have a P80SE but haven't fitted it to a model or bench run yet). Is that how you shut the turbine down, by pulling the throttle trim right back? I was under the impression that a switch was assigned for shutdown.
That's the reason i prefer the mechanical trim on throttle. It only takes a split second to have the trim where you want it to be.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:09 PM
marquisvns

ORIGINAL: marquisvns

Cheers,
Barry
Purchasers are paying for a limited edition with extras only available on that particular model, so would not expect them to made available to other models?? Maybe or maybe not. Just my thoughts.

I don't fly turbines, (i have a P80SE but haven't fitted it to a model or bench run yet). Is that how you shut the turbine down, by pulling the throttle trim right back? I was under the impression that a switch was assigned for shutdown.
That's the reason i prefer the mechanical trim on throttle. It only takes a split second to have the trim where you want it to be.
If you assign engine shut off to a switch, then there goes a switch and an additional channel. Mechanical throttle trim is fine but an even wider trim step on throttle trim is essential for ALL DX18s, in my opinion.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:24 PM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is just a "slap in the face" to not offer the DX18 the software, or even the "non pro" parts of it. Fine, keep the true Pro pilot parts of it for the QQ version, but allow the DX18 to become better than it is, by way of the software available to customize sound, avatars, no power off system menu access, customization flight modes.. etc. 

By way of no choice, we who purchased the DX18 that was released only about 5 months ago, as the World Pro Class transmitter, now have the "standard edition".  And are no longer allowed updates via Airware, as now its "well all except". 

I bought mine just about 2 months ago.  Too bad I cant return it now, or I would. 

Really cruddy way to take care of your customer base, IMO. 

Had they named it the QQ18, we really couldnt prove much .... but to add a couple letters to the end of it, and deny the first version updates of software that works on both, is going to leave "bad tastes" in a lot of peoples mouths, and cause them to make different brand choices in the future. 

Yes, I am ticked off by this move.  I and many others feel cheated, and got cheated.   There needs to be an incentive program offered soon to the DX18 owners, to foster loyalty and retain the current customer base. 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:30 PM
smitty1001
My Feedback: (29)

Pro. Class. Almost.
Old 11-17-2012, 10:31 PM
spd101

Im sticking with my 9303, never any issues
Old 11-18-2012, 04:58 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I don't own nor validate that much money for a DX 18.  I think most pilots bought hastily bought a DX18 for the ego sake anyway.   Those other than a few that have the ego planes with 24 servos that might "possibly" need the extra channel because God forbid we "Y" anything!

Anyway, I have one question to ask those of you DX18 owners.....Did it say anywhere in the Ads that there were free endless upgrades? 

Are you DX18 owners still using Windows 3.0 because Microsoft charged for upgrades and comes out routinely with new OS? 

You KNOW Spektrum has work in progress for a DX 4000 someday.   Do you expect that you should have your radio upgraded to that system ust because you bought a very expensive OLDER radio? 

DUH.  You ran out an dumped a chunk of change on a hot new radio because you just had to have it yesterday so now you live with it.

How many times have you heard, "I'm going to wait and let them work the bugs out" on electronics?   Had you had a little patience, you might have the QQ now.  

That being said, watch all the QQ owners go WAH WAH when the DX20 or DX4000 comes out the first of the year.  LOL.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:19 AM
smitty1001

Nevermind, now I get it! Everything is fine!
Old 11-18-2012, 05:22 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

FUTABA is your friend
REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

So now we complain because prices go down? Next what, will we complain because we are alive? Your comment makes no sense...

Gerry
Old 11-18-2012, 05:31 AM
gooseF22

Both are a great value, and the best link available in my opinion.. So those that adopted early, we all have a great transmitter.. I bought it for the link alone.. programming can be learned or adapted.. dont forget we flew jets with Super 8's, Fut 9, 9303's, and 10X's.. This radio is a big improvement over those generations...

Airware is still fully supported.. dont know where that statement came from..

Yes, I hope HH maintains inter-compatability between QQ and Std models.. Im sure they have considered that.. Anyone from HH know?

If you use a throttle cut, you do not lose a channel. it works just like any other radio's throttle cut.. just lowers the th channel PW by set amount in radio..

I flew a full season with the Std.. its still the best transmitter I have used.. I didnt really find any major limitations..

I do hope they enable the three step throttle trim.. I would think that is easily done in Airware.. HH please consider that one ported down.. Canard programming would be cool, but it can easily be done in the Std radio.. 6 servo wings can also be done.. using the dual input capability and channel assignment.. I dont know what else is exclusive.. I just like the looks of the new one, but I still would have bought the std instead of holding out... it has been perfect and my links have been solid.. I simply bought it over the 12x because of the dual antenna.. dont underestimate that important point.. THat alone is a huge improvement...

the QQ is a good value even if it had the standard programming because of the extras..so I do hope HH does port down most or all the doo dads to the Std.. I would think maintaining two separate SW loads is more difficult than commonizing them..assuming the hardware is the same.. my2C...
Old 11-18-2012, 05:49 AM
erbroens

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Exponential technological progress + marketing ideas = technological anxiety to the masses. LOL Welcome to the brave new world!

Enrique
Old 11-18-2012, 06:21 AM
saddler
My Feedback: (93)

Yes, you can transfer models from the original dx18 to the QQ version, I know first hand
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Man, talk about a bunch of "whinners", this takes the cake. Grow up guys, load up the plane, the DX18 and go to the field, fly and have fun. Some of you think the sky is falling because your transmitter doesn't have "QQ" stamped on it.

I have a DX18 and I don't feel "cheated" or "violated". I paid my money, got a TX at a good value and does everything that it was advertised to do although I haven't tapped into all of it's capabilities yet and probably never will.

I'd go flying today with my DX18 but going to the F1 race in Austin.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:38 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

Hey Erbroens you just invented the next PHD field.  Treatment for that disorder!   We can be the first to initiate a school to teach up and coming professionals how to handle that.  We'll call it    "PETAD" 

POST EXPONENTIAL TECHNOLOGICAL ANXIETY DISORDER

Think of all the money we can scam from these bimbos!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:57 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

ORIGINAL: GerKonig

ORIGINAL: luv2flyrc

ORIGINAL: FenderBean

FUTABA is your friend
REALLY? They're not the friend of anyone who bought a 14mz two weeks ago at $2399 and now it's $1599. Or the guy who bought 12z @ $1599 and now it's $1099.

Mike

So now we complain because prices go down? Next what, will we complain because we are alive? Your comment makes no sense...

Gerry
Nobody's complaining Gerry,

The premise of this thread is that people are upset that Horizon has come out with a better "package" on the DX18, when many people had already purchased the radio. Some people feel they have been "shafted" after trusting Horizon. Fender suggested Futaba wouldn't do this. I pointed out that they are in fact no different as people who trusted Futaba are likely to feel shafted that the company has dropped it's prices right after they purchased. Why does that not make any sense to you?

I persoanlly don't care what the price is, I'm not interested in either of these two brands. It was a simple comparison to show brand F's regard for the customer is no different /better/ worse then Brand S. I don't plan to berate the point as Fender pointed out his comment was in jest anyway.

Mike

Old 11-18-2012, 07:07 AM
murdock0700

How limited is it really ??? Are you guy's jumping all over this thinking you are gonna be 1 of only 2,000... I don't think so.!! Read the wording of the Radio info on the H/H site.... ( I'll save you the research ) " This stunning DX18QQ Limited Edition transmitter, of which only 2,000 have been made, " .. Does not say " Will be made " There might be another 10,000 on the assembly line as you all gripe.. It is what it is.. I can't help but think the guy's across the street are getting some good entertainment out of all this. I can't help but think that a lot of you guy's used to get the crap beat out of you on the playground at recess.!

Live long and prosper,

HM
Old 11-18-2012, 07:58 AM
Frank Ts Stuff
My Feedback: (130)

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

I don't own nor validate that much money for a DX 18. I think most pilots bought hastily bought a DX18 for the ego sake anyway. Those other than a few that have the ego planes with 24 servos that might ''possibly'' need the extra channel because God forbid we ''Y'' anything!

Anyway, I have one question to ask those of you DX18 owners.....Did it say anywhere in the Ads that there were free endless upgrades?

Are you DX18 owners still using Windows 3.0 because Microsoft charged for upgrades and comes out routinely with new OS?

You KNOW Spektrum has work in progress for a DX 4000 someday. Do you expect that you should have your radio upgraded to that system ust because you bought a very expensive OLDER radio?

DUH. You ran out an dumped a chunk of change on a hot new radio because you just had to have it yesterday so now you live with it.

How many times have you heard, ''I'm going to wait and let them work the bugs out'' on electronics? Had you had a little patience, you might have the QQ now.

That being said, watch all the QQ owners go WAH WAH when the DX20 or DX4000 comes out the first of the year. LOL.

In response to your question about updates from Spektrum...uh, yeah they kinda did...DUH

"And you'll always be up to date with the latest version of Spektrum AirWare thanks to the Spektrum Community and the Spektrum Data Interface (SDI). Just register your DX18 at community.spektrumrc.com and you'll receive alerts whenever a new version of Spektrum AirWare is available"

I love my DX18, it performs awesomely but I think we should be able to update our software to the latest version as promised....
Old 11-18-2012, 08:03 AM
THERCAV8R
My Feedback: (283)

Yea, Software and $500 more dollars just for a name. Not me.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:21 AM
dubd

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

I don't own nor validate that much money for a DX 18. I think most pilots bought hastily bought a DX18 for the ego sake anyway. Those other than a few that have the ego planes with 24 servos that might ''possibly'' need the extra channel because God forbid we ''Y'' anything!

You KNOW Spektrum has work in progress for a DX 4000 someday. Do you expect that you should have your radio upgraded to that system ust because you bought a very expensive OLDER radio?

DUH. You ran out an dumped a chunk of change on a hot new radio because you just had to have it yesterday so now you live with it.

How many times have you heard, ''I'm going to wait and let them work the bugs out'' on electronics? Had you had a little patience, you might have the QQ now.

That being said, watch all the QQ owners go WAH WAH when the DX20 or DX4000 comes out the first of the year. LOL.

Your Windows logic doesn't make sense. We're not talking about a software product, which in the case of any version of Windows, gets significant software iterations through each product lifecycle. If you want to use a non RC-example, compare what HH did to other consumer HARDWARE products. Apple, which charges premiums for everything. Even Apple provides the same software upgrades to ALL of their iPhones. Same with Android... same with the Playstation, Xbox, TVs, and most modern consumer electronics. I don't care about the new physical changes to the QQ version of the DX18, but to omit the software changes is lame. There is no cost savings from HH to holdback the software other than to push sales of the QQ version for people who can spend more money.

To think people are buying a DX18 for "ego" is nonsense. I still prefer my 12X over my ego inflating DX18.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:29 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Thanks Sean for the model transfer info.....I suspected you could but nice to confirm as I couldn't definitely find an answer in the HH On-Line manual........

Tom
Old 11-18-2012, 08:32 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

Now tell the truth Bob-O......you spent bags of money on your Ellen Degeneris Naughty Holiday Collection, and now you can't afford a QQ...
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Tom Antlfinger

Now tell the truth Bob-O......you spent bags of money on your Ellen Degeneris Naughty Holiday Collection, and now you can't afford a QQ...
Busted

Between that and Victoria’s Secret, I'm broke
Old 11-18-2012, 08:42 AM
PropsnWings
My Feedback: (9)

Has nothing to do with "affording" it.  I cant think of one time anyone felt a software UPDATE was ever worth $400, when told your current product would be updated for free when updates are available. 

Anyways, I have said my piece, and I agree HH has painted themselves into a corner on this one.  Not just the DX18 is affected by this choice of exclusivity.  Any future products cannot have those software features either. So this is, IMO, gonna come back to bite them. 

I can only hope and "dream" that HH will figure out that they need to make a change on this software stance, in order to attain and retain the level at which they had attained with the Spektrum name for now and in the future.  But that needs to be done now, and not after they have sold all 2000 units.  They need to admit there was a mistake made in making software exclusive to one version of the DX18, when they are features that would sell either version, and features that any purchaser of the DX18 should have. 

Do I still like and use my DX18?  sure, but will I promote and look to Spektrum in the future? I am not so sure I will so quick to defend them now, with this, IMHO, a poor choice to hold the software from the current DX18 community. 

Truly if anyone buying the DX18QQ bought it strictly based on the software, then I feel sorry for you, as those features should be a part of every DX18 and surely are not worth $400 extra.   And if you did make the choice based on the software, you missed the point of the QQ version. 
Old 11-18-2012, 09:03 AM
smitty1001

ORIGINAL: gooseF22
its still the best transmitter I have used.. I didnt really find any major limitations..

I do hope they enable the three step throttle trim.. I would think that is easily done in Airware.. HH please consider that one ported down.. Canard programming would be cool, but it can easily be done in the Std radio.. 6 servo wings can also be done.. using the dual input capability and channel assignment.. I dont know what else is exclusive.. I just like the looks of the new one, but I still would have bought the std instead of holding out... it has been perfect and my links have been solid.. I simply bought it over the 12x because of the dual antenna.. dont underestimate that important point.. THat alone is a huge improvement...

the QQ is a good value even if it had the standard programming because of the extras..so I do hope HH does port down most or all the doo dads to the Std.. I would think maintaining two separate SW loads is more difficult than commonizing them..assuming the hardware is the same.. my2C...
This is what I've been saying all along, couldn't agree more with Goose. (except on the looks of the new one, just can't do that many Q's all over it and signature splash screens)

A couple of clarifying points:

1) The sky is indeed NOT FALLING, I can verify that as I was just outside. I did fly this morning, and I did have fun. And I used my new/standard edition DX18. It was great.

2) I still would have bought the standard DX-18 even if I knew about the Q one - it would have been nice to be offered the option though especially a week before it comes out. That's just sort of a customer service thing. What I do care about though is:

3) The software should be available to non-Q's even if there is a price for it. As Goose has said, we EXPECT several of the features like new turbine throttle trim, etc.

4) I don't think many, if any people purchased the DX18 for ego?!?! (maybe those that bought the standard and have now sold it for the Q-DX18?) For most of us flying JR, switching to an exclusive Spektrum radio was a little dicey - I guarantee the guys that put their 12x's down for the 18 weren't feeling like big swingin' richards to do so - but probably instead saw where the technology and support/marketing was going and were willing to follow Horizon and our friends that work there.

5) I am happy that we can type the word "pissed" now and it not get deleted, and, I'm happy that we have so many rational-intellectual types in this forum! It really balances out the whiners!

6) Discussing Bob-o's undergarments IS being violated!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.