Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

bvm F86 F kit info

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

bvm F86 F kit info

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
MerlinII

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bvm F86 F kit info

Hello

Can someone help me with some info on an untouched bvm F86-F sabre kit that is for sale for quite some time now here locally.
The Guy putting it up for sale seems not to have a lot of details about it, he compares it to the 80" F86 on the bvm website to stress on its value.
To me it's more an "older" kit (ducted fan version?) and i think its not the larger one (80") but rather the 63" version.
But I have no experience with any bvm kits.

So is this the smaller 63" fan version? Can it be converted to turbine? and most important what would be a fair price if so i can make a correct offer.
I'm aware of the bvm quality.
It does not come with landing gear but has a cockpit kit.

Thank you

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67021.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1821788  
Old 11-19-2012, 07:51 AM
Ron101
My Feedback: (22)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: bvm F86 F kit info

That is the older version with no carbon in the tail....
you can make it a turbine but will have to reinforce the tail section of the fuse with carbon cloth

these make really good EDF conversion as they are light

I just picked up a kit that has some work done to it, cockpit kit, all the hardware, with the retracts but no struts or wheels for $500 bucks.

I'd say anywhere from $500 to $700 is ok... they are getting hard to find. I watched RCU for a year to find this one
Old 11-19-2012, 08:40 AM
AnthonyW

+1
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 AM
MerlinII

Thanks a lot for your information.
Well this sounds perfect for a an EDF conversion, a pitty it doesn't come with gear (which could be sorted out i think bvm or other...) but i'm not yet sure i'll go for it.
I have no experience with EDF's. But i feel maybe a better choice than a turbine conversion. Just recently took the step into turbines (boomerang + P80SE) at last and was looking for a future more scale project. Love those F86... mig 15... 1950-60 era jets w'll see...

Frank
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes they can be converted, I have one with a P-60.

Ron is correct, for turbine use BVM recommend carbon inside the rear fuselage if not fitted (mine was)
& carbon on the tailplane if it's the sheet balsa version.

BVM sold a 'turbine conversion kit' for the F-86 which is fitted to mine. There's very little room in these
models for a turbine, even a P-60 is a bit of a squeeze.

I'm aware of the bvm quality.
These were probably best quality when released but the world (& BVM) has moved on since then.

Paid $500 for mine partly finished but that was from a friend getting out of turbines. - John.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:33 AM
ron Sweeney

Hi Merlin, I have one of these. I made my own 'horseshoe tank' wrapped under the thrust tube. I use a Wren 70 and there is very little room. If you are flying off grass or you are old and clumsy like me you may find the plastic retract system a little vulnerable. I made an extended thrust tube without a by-pass and mounted all the equipment on the top of this. There is a lot of work in this model by to days standards, but it's a fabulous flyer. Ron.
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 AM
F15driver
My Feedback: (24)

Recently bought one off RCU as well that came with retracts and struts; it has the carbon fiber in the tail and in the wings. I sold the retracts (the old original ones for $100) and bought the new Blue retracts from BVM that have the air cylinders mounted directly to the retract. Much sturdier units but they're not cheap. The struts that came with my original kit are one size too small to fit into the Blue retract. This is solved by adding a piece of brass tubing inside the retract that then allows the strut to fit perfectly. The kit is very light and the quality is very good. It is definitely a builders kit - it going to take some time to complete it. Mine is about 2/3 done and its going to have the BVM 10S power plant in it.

This kit is probably better suited for electric than turbine because of the relatively small inside area of the fuse. Turbine can be done but there are probably better options out there for the money.

Good luck with it if you decide to buy it.
Old 11-20-2012, 12:44 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

The are fabulous jets under turbine power..I've seen guys stuff p-70's in them. Our's has a little 12lb PST and flies great. There is enough room to get everything inside with proper planning, but not much more... The results are worth the effort!