Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Florida road trip/ tour of BVM factory

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Florida road trip/ tour of BVM factory

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Florida road trip/ tour of BVM factory

My wife and I just got home last night from a 11 day road trip through Florida. We were guests of Nick Ziroli and his lady friend Olga McGinnis at their retirement home location Camelot East just off 75 in Sarasota. Nick introduced me to John Hay and Vince Veltree at a mid week lunch and we met again for breakfast at the local Panera where six or so R/C guys from the club meet every Saturday morning. I found Sarasota to be wonderful for many reasons and Nicks place is six miles from the Sarasota R/C club and eight miles from Siesta Key beach. Nick and I went for an afternoon of flying while we were there at the Sarasota Club field, all,I can say is wow what a place to fly at all of the time. Nick and Olga went out of their way to make us feel like family and we are now looking forward to buying a home there down the road when I retire. There is a nice hobby shop located about two miles from his house and the guys are very friendly and helpful there at Gator Hobbies as I left a adapter at home by mistake and they had just about every kind of wiring accessory you could ever need along with a great store and also found two painted pilots I was looking for and picked them up as well. During our trip home we stopped by the Sun and Fun museum and my wife got to see the Florida jets field. Unfortunately the museum was closed on Mondays and we headed up to BVM but not before stopping by Kermit Weeks museum which was not open until 10:30 but the B-25, PBY, and the C-47 where sitting out on the ramp and we enjoyed the few minutes seeing them all together. Then off to a wonderful visit to see Bob and his crew at BVM. I highly recommend a visit if you are down there and they can accommodate you. You must call ahead for setting up the visit but not a big deal. Bob personally took me though the factory and while I am in the business and had an idea of what I would be seeing, getting to see it first hand was very impressive. I have always felt my money was well spent on BVM products and now more then ever. I took advantage of my wife wanting to get me something so we put a order in while we were there. We then stopped by Dave Shulmans new jewelry business that is about twenty minutes north on route 4 in Sanford and Dave as well gave Jan and I an update on his future plans for the jet world masters in Switzerland in two years. What a trip it was! 2300 miles, 11 days, 6 flights on my Habu 32, two days at Busch Gardens Tampa, and side trips to museums, the beach, the Orioles spring training facility and now back home to set up the shop for the winter building season.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:06 AM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Florida road trip/ tour of BVM factory

Ron sounds like a good time! Are you going to make it down to FLjets?
I went down to Sarasota RC for the scale event a few weeks ago and loved it. First time I ever flew thier and will be going back for sure. And the best part is they are jet friendly people unlike most other clubs down here.

Someone got some good video of my first flight at this club. Its a little tight with the no fly zones but very easy to avoid them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AB_S5...=youtu.be&hd=1
Old 11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
trioval00
My Feedback: (17)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pictures?
Old 11-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Ron Stahl

Mark all of my pictures are on my IPad so I have to load them the next few days. Most are of nature shots but did get a few of the Sarasota R/C field.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:08 PM
Ron Stahl

We had a blast everyday. I'm so looking forward to retiring down there. Best of all is we got a letter today asking if we wanted to sell our home from a local real estate rep. Might make Fl jets but will have to see how my vacations work out on the colander for next year.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
zemkes_wolfpack
My Feedback: (5)

Ron,

You are right, the Sarasota facility is amazing. I had the opportunity to fly there when the wife and I were in the area back in 2008. Friendly group of guys and absolutely beautiful weather.