Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

HUNGARIAN AIR FORCE MIG-15 RED 047 MUSEUM SCALE 1/4

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

HUNGARIAN AIR FORCE MIG-15 RED 047 MUSEUM SCALE 1/4

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 12:22 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Awesome news! I just stripped a composite art Rookie that I had a P180 in for my mig. I have everything I need to build the plane, just need some time. Please keep us posted with further flight info :-)
Old 10-24-2015, 12:32 PM
TSHARK203
My Feedback: (206)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the successful maiden Rolf. What is your all up weight. Did you use your speed brakes as well on your landing approach?
George
Old 10-24-2015, 12:53 PM
[email protected]
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thankyou George. I havent gotten around to weighing it yet, but will eventually. No I didnt try the spead brakes. It was a bit windy and the head wind was such that it wasnt necessary to use them.
BTW, I have installed the new I gyro and started with the ATV on my Futaba at 33. I expect to increase it a bit more.
Old 10-24-2015, 01:18 PM
TSHARK203

I suspect the gear is not going up due to the weight and lack of the extra ram on it. Craig and I both swapped ours over to electric so it should not hang up due to the weight and air pressure. You have given me new life to getting back on mine here and not possibly selling it. Really glad to hear some more positive feedback on the plane. Any other flight info you can share. I would love to see your setup inside the plane. How was the power with your turbine. To much not enough.
George
Old 10-24-2015, 01:34 PM
[email protected]

I posted a few pictures on this thread # 334 Just let me know if there are pictures you need. About the power. I felt that 160 was just right. Especially since the retracts didnt go in. It needed the power at take off but in the air I was flying at 1/2 throttle. It was comforting not having the feeling that everything was marginal. Today we had 6 degrees C. and we get a good effect from the turbines, but changes very much when we have 20 something degrees. ( yes it happens, even in Norway ) I feel that if you sell your plane you will be missing out on a nice project.
Where did you swap you retracts to electric?
Old 10-24-2015, 01:43 PM
TSHARK203

I had a company here in the states called Down and Locked do my conversion. They work very very well. No problems thus far. I'm not sure who did Craig's. There is one thing I would like to see. Do you have any build shots of how you setup the landing light with what Agoston provided. I can't figure out where to mountil the wooden support for the light. That is really what I'm lacking on mine here. I'm going to do a few things on it tonight I guess short of mounting the turbine I have here. I am thinking that the k210 I have will be a bit much from what everyone else has said.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:00 PM
[email protected]

OK thanks I will see what I decide on the retracts.
On the light I used an angeled bracket. The 90 degree one that f eks BVM has to mount servoes, that I screwed on to the wood part that the light is on and the other end of the bracket on to the wood plate that is for fastening the batteries. The light is activated by a micro switch/ servo setup Y - cabeled to the retract or flap and I use the same battery for the smoke pump as well. The plane is still in my trailer so I cant get any pictures untill tomorrow.
I also think that a 210 sounds like a bit too much, but I guess you could tune it down.
Old 10-24-2015, 02:07 PM
TSHARK203

Thanks for the info. I knew the hardware provided for the light looked a little incomplete. I guess if mine does not sell I'm going to back my turbine down to a 170 or 180. No point in having the extra weight in the plane if it's not needed.
Old 10-25-2015, 07:28 AM
DrScoles

George, do you remember what it cost to convert the gear to electric?

Rolf, what size of air tank do you have? Do you think it could be a volume issue, or the mechanics of the ram?
Old 10-25-2015, 08:28 AM
TSHARK203

Hey Mike
I can't remember. I will have to check.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

The comp arf Mig uses a secondary lift air cylinder. The full size mig had this feature. Maybe you can add it to your big Mig??
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	246
Size:	3.75 MB
ID:	2127594  
Old 10-25-2015, 09:53 AM
tow

Originally Posted by Vincent
The comp arf Mig uses a secondary lift air cylinder. The full size mig had this feature. Maybe you can add it to your big Mig??
I can vouch for that, the UC on the CARF Mig is quite heavy, and highly benefit from the extra oomph of the additional ram. (the picture is of mine actually) :-)
Old 10-25-2015, 11:12 AM
[email protected]

I have installed two large Robart air tanks for retracts only ,and two smaller tanks for brakes, gear doors and speed brakes. I think the problem is that the wind pressure on the gear doors and maybe that the wheels are spinning fast, makes it too hard on the electronic valves that just don't supply enough volume to all three retracts at once . So either I will add an additional electronic valve or change to something larger. Haven't decided yet. Problem is that I have to go in and redo some of the installation. Here is a picture of my light fixture solution

Name:	IMAG0163.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	899.4 KB
ID:	2127633  
Old 10-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Vincent

How much air pressure are you running?? Early on this thread Dave Ribbe noted the air cylinders look undersized. It might be an up hill battle to deal with them. I would look into an elec conversion.
Vin...

Last edited by Vincent; 10-26-2015 at 12:31 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:32 PM
[email protected]

https://l.facebook.com/l/_AQHBepF0AQ...%2F0RvTihGM5H4

Here are my two first flights this weekend. On my next flights I will use the air brakes. It can land very slowly. Maybe reduce the bounce on the nose wheel spring as well. The wheel brakes are VERY effective so I will add restrictors on the air lines. Just first impressions!

About the air pressure. I am filling it up with as much as the valves can handel.
Old 10-26-2015, 12:59 PM
tow

Very impressive in the air. Congrats :-) On the CARF MiG I find a good landing technique is using take off flaps only plus deploying air-brakes, this to avoid bouncing. Guess the same goes for this one too... worth trying.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:08 PM
jetpilot
My Feedback: (48)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

get better valves. robarts are inadequate. high flow valve with lots of air volume. Like a JMP valve.
Scott
Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 PM
Vincent

You touched down on the nose wheel first. That is a no no with the mig 15. Flair and flair some more until the jet wants to stop flying. She will settle in nice and make you look like a star. My experience comes from 4 carf mig 15's.
Vin...
ps go with hi flow valves like Scott said, 4mm tubing and put in 130lbs of air and give that a go.

Last edited by Vincent; 10-26-2015 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM
DrScoles

Awesome Rolf! So glad to see this thing in the air. I really don't want to switch to electric.

Scott, do you have to run 4mm lines with the JMP to get the high flow?
Old 10-26-2015, 02:55 PM
DrScoles

Any chance you could take some pics of your finish in better light? Little dark in the video, looks like you did a very nice job.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:31 PM
[email protected]

Thankyou. I can't take credit for it other then choosing the paint scheme. Agoston did the paint jobb and did it well. I took these pictures this weekend

Name:	imag0158.jpg
Views:	647
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	2127798   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0159.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2127799   Click image for larger version

Name:	imag0160.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	2127800  
Old 10-30-2015, 05:49 AM
Flytechnique

Because of doubts dispelled in recent months, I made a thorough test again the operation of the flaps during in flight.
Just for the sake of spectacle got the model a self-designed painting. I mixed a little the old age with the 21st century.
The model at the first flight was a little nose heavy. Therefore the takeoff and landing was a little bumpy. During the flight it was still very handed.
At second and third test, after some CG adjustment the model was better than before.
Again, I concluded that this is a very good model to use and easy to fly. Free of surprises, strong structure, easy to handle well-constructed model.
Since it mostly get out of the building, very great pleasure when I get out with him to the airfield.
During the three test flight the flaps was more than 15 times opened and locked. As in previous tests the flap is perfectly operated.
For me, it was no surprise, since both the design and the implementation over every detail was good. The tests also confirmed this earlier.
A recent test of shots for everyone this clearly shows. The model which flew in Norway (which is also I built) also showed this.
The two previous accident as I wrote earlier, was from the owners building and pilot failure and technical errors occurred.
For these may be the most plausible to blame the manufacturer, but in this case this was not based on reality.
The jet modelings requires thorough preparedness and good reflexes. Thus, while any technical problems to handle in flight.
At the building must act with due thoroughness, especially for new solutions. I always test the finished models surfaces under a heavy load.
I hold the control surfaces with my hand at the point of the servos exhaustion. So I checked on the ground that the servos are strong and the surfaces can move freely.
I recommend this to everyone done before the first flight!

Best,
Agoston

The video can be downloaded from the link below:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x1y3o71d0...v1Sl4CWTa?dl=0

Name:	DSC_8274rc.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	2128395   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8270rc.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	2128396   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8293rc.jpg
Views:	602
Size:	1,002.1 KB
ID:	2128397   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8346rc.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	948.9 KB
ID:	2128398   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_8355rc.jpg
Views:	657
Size:	2.27 MB
ID:	2128399  
Old 10-30-2015, 06:22 AM
DrScoles

Agoston, Any reason you kept the gear down on all three flights? Not sure if I've seen one flight with the gear retracted???

I am considering converting mine to electric, but would prefer not to. Also don't want to have to do it after the fact.
Old 10-30-2015, 06:34 AM
Flytechnique

Mike, I just wanted to simulate the turbulence on the flaps. I opened the flaps deliberately at high-speed in order to view even under high load operation.
The LG works well, but he needs a good pressure proper operation. Next time I will focus not only on the flaps.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:02 PM
[email protected]

Hi again. Just a little update. I flew the Mig again last weekend. Only one flight. Fog came from a nearby lake and ruined the whole day for us. A sign that the building season is upon us here up north. Anyway, I had removed 120 gr of lead from the nose and am now almost at the 4 cm CG mark as suggested. This did in fact make a noticeable difference. When banking the plane in a turn I didn't have to struggle to keep the nose from aiming towards the ground. It felt very correct. Also I had added a piece of Tygon tubing inside the nose leg spring to keep it from bouncing so easily when taxiing over uneven parts of the tarmac. It kind of looked toyish , if you understand what I am trying to say. The retracts are fine now. Rechecked all set screws and added more air pressure and a high flow SMC valve. I landed with flaps and air brakes this time and it all went at a smooth pace ending in a very predictable landing. Keeping the nose wheel of the ground as long as possible. With the few flights I have had, my impression is that I now look forward to my next flights with this jet. It is very precise and I did not feel any bad habits through a normal flight . I have been asked where I got my pilot. I found a company in the UK called Perfect Pilots. She made one with a leather helmet and jacket , and goggles that I was very satisfied with. This winter I will have to add wing tanks and lights from Details 4 scale.
It would probably fly nice with a 140 engine, but I feel that for me the Merlin 160 is the right size engine and it works out great in terms of CG

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.