Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster Mig-29 OVT twin turbine build

Ivan, Maybe I used the wrong words. I was told to make the elevators "tailerons" or "stabilators." Says so in the manual as well. I think the ailerons on the wing by themselves do not have a lot of authority. I just have no idea on the throws.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Levi Wags

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ivan the new machine is coming along well. I have everything I need now so just need to make time. Hopefully a couple of months. Will keep u posted.

The cylinders I use are from Peter at Intairco. All I did was measure the stroke then asked Peter for the most powerful rams he had in that stroke. They work perfect with no leaks. The geometry of the setup isn't the best but the new rams work.

Mike I only use ailerons for roll. I think I have 20mm up and down with some differential. I know the ailerons look tiny but surprisingly they have a fair amount of authority. Maybe the taileron set up would work as well or better but I haven't tried it. U may also need more throw than me cause of thrust vector at slow speeds.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Justflying1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to heir Levi. Look foreword to seeing the beast and thank you for the info.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Justflying1

Levi one other thing. What percentage of down elevator did you go on your radio. I was starting at 5 % down which I do on all planes with flaps. I'm yet to fly any plane with flap that didn't need any down elevator on landing flaps. In saying this my Élan does have a lot at 15%. Would you think 5% for this plane is a good start point?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:07 AM
Levi Wags

Yeah I think start at 5% mate and see what u think. It's no drama as I had 30 flights with no down mixed in but a small amount will defiantly help.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:13 AM
Justflying1

Ok I will leave it at that until I take the bird up. Thank you.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:43 PM
essyou35
My Feedback: (11)

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Did you use the plastic control horns that come with the kit?
Old 10-19-2013, 05:21 PM
Justflying1

Are you sure that your one came with plastic control horns. To date I have seen four Skymaster Mig-29 and they all came with carbon fibre horns which are perfect for the job. Can you post a close up photo of your horns. Is your model the Skymaster ?
Hope this helps you.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:51 PM
essyou35

Here are some photos, I am 89% sure mine is skymaster. In the pic of the control horns, the bottom left one I bit into it,and it left a tooth mark. These are plastic!
The other pic is the main gear, you can see this is skymaster or it is a direct clone!
In the top right, what is that part? I have some in my kit maybe they are the wrong part.

I need to pose a pic of my wings, there are no exit holes for the wires!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:46 PM
essyou35

I just looked over the jet legend mig, and while there are some similarities between the two I can clearly say min is not jet legend! My elevators attach exactly like yours. I am the 2nd owner (that I know of) it is possible the control horns are not the right ones.

I'm talking to the seller on Monday will get some confirmations. In the interim, if you know where I can get some control horns let me know!
Old 10-19-2013, 06:51 PM
Justflying1

From what i can see the plane does seem to be a Skymaster. You have the exact gear doors as me and the gear looks to me to be Slymaster.
The top right bit I'm not sure what it is so hopefully Dr Scoles or Levi Wags can come up with something here.
Those control horns look like carbon fibre to me, but I cant be 100% sure because the carbon wave pattern looks different from the bottom to the top. This could be just the photo tricking me. Carbon fibre usually comes in a woven look or like a straight line look if that makes any seance. I'm sure the people that have seen the two types know what I mean and maybe they can try and explain a little better than what i have just did. IN saying this If Skymaster supplied does horns I would be 100% sure these would be Carbon fibre.

Hope this helps you a little.
Ivan
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 PM
Justflying1

If these are not carbon fibre control horns you can easily make your own out of 2mm Carbon fibre plate. They are easy to make.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:02 PM
Justflying1

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Ivan, Maybe I used the wrong words. I was told to make the elevators "tailerons" or "stabilators." Says so in the manual as well. I think the ailerons on the wing by themselves do not have a lot of authority. I just have no idea on the throws.
Dr Scoles I assure you that the Mig has lots of rolling Authority with just the Ailerons. It does however use lots of elevator to turn as well. In saying this there is lots of elevator still left but I guess with a full moving elevator ( horizontal stabilizer) you are always going to use lots of elevators in the turns.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:11 PM
Justflying1

My wings and fuselage came pre-drilled for the servo exit wires. I have taken a measurement for you to make this easy and from the leading edge of the wing it is 405mm. Do this measurement on the wing and fuselage and problem fixed
Old 10-19-2013, 07:14 PM
essyou35

If you can post a pic that would help. Mine are not pre drilled and in the servo boxes there are no apparent holes either.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:38 PM
Justflying1

I cannot remember if my inside wing former needed drilling or not however I'm 100% the outside former was pre-drilled.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:44 PM
Justflying1

Like I said if you take a measurement of 405mm from the leading edge of the wing closest to the fuselage back, you will be bang on. This is my measurement on my Mig-29.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:00 AM
Levi Wags

Essyou I agree with Ivan in that the control horns look like carbon and the plane looks like Skymaster.
However from the photo of the bottom of the plane if you look close there doesn't seem to be as much surface detail as the Skymaster. That combined with there being no holes in wings for servo wires makes me think it could be a cheaper rip off. I am probebly wrong but it needs looking into.
The landing gear is Skymaster and the fuse is the same shape but just looks different. Do you know the history of the plane?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:18 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the plastic ones in the kit
Old 10-20-2013, 03:33 PM
essyou35

Hey guys the horns are plastic, they have a crosshatch molded into the bottom, probably looks like CF in the pic.
This is in face a SM jet but I am puzzled by the lack of wire holes in the wing and fuse.

here is the exact jet I bought from this guy, who is great guy to work with.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=878767

I am talking with him tomorrow to get more information and history on the jet.

I will write SM and see if I can get the CF or glass ones.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:34 PM
Justflying1

My horns are 100% CF
Old 11-06-2013, 03:19 AM
ccvigas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Justflying1

Belo plane (is my dream of consumption ...), has some video of it?

brs,

Claudio/BR
Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 AM
dubd

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ccvigas
Hi Justflying1

Belo plane (is my dream of consumption ...), has some video of it?

brs,

Claudio/BR
Here is a video of mine. Awesome plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfZK-30KM-8