Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

RE: The politics of jet flying

ORIGINAL: Ron Stahl

You can't fix stupid!
    You must be a Ron White Fan???
    JPO Yearly Member. Retired ATP B-727, HS-125, IA-JET

AMA Turbine CD Waiver Holder- BVM F-16, CARF-Viper, Flash, Super Extra 3.2M, 44%Giles, Extra 330, 1/8th scale F-18, flying r/c since I was 11 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I belong to the same club also. I don't fly jets BUT I have nothing against them. No, I don't feel they should be banned, what I think is that we all should pay a visit to "Mr. Safety". It was not the jet that started that fire, but rather the shorting of the "Li-Po" batteries. I just read an article where a club lost it's field because of a fire. But guess what started it? No, it wasn't a jet!! It was an electric with WHAT - "Li-Po" batteries!! I never have and never will use "Li-Po"s because of their hazards of fire and bodily injury. I think that we as modellers should re-evaluate what's important to us. Safety is important to me. My club is important to me. Retaining and maintaining our field is important to me. My aircraft are important to me. THEREFORE, I don't mind the addition of 1-2 ounces for a safer battery. I use "Li-Ion" batteries. ALL batteries have a "drawback" of some kind, but what we should do is ask ourselves that question, "What more important to me"? Make sacrifices to be safe. Make sacrifices to keep your field. Make sacrifices to keep a good club and club's rep in the community. WHAT'S IMPORTANT TO YOU???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

well lets see>> jets have caused some fires> lipos have did the same >> gas planes have did the the same and i like them all> so maybe we schould all go to rubber band planes>> lol but like you iam for saftey>>

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Most of the problems I have seen with this hobby are actually caused by the seniors, not the younger people.

ORIGINAL: pmerritt

1.Β* Anything that burns fuel can cause a fire.
    2.Β* All batteries when damaged severely enough can cause a fire.
    3.Β* How many pilots when flying check the strenght/expiration of the club extinguishers each time the arrive? (this isn't an excuse for the safety officer's neglect - just a question that if you fly, shouldn't you preflight the safety equpiment, know how and where to obtain the necessary means to be of assistance?)
    4.Β* How likely is it that any safety cart/truck can get to a crash site of a burning aircraft to totallyΒ*contain a grass fire?Β*
    5.Β* The club I wanted to join most in my area has their share of bad seeds.Β* The last time I went there to observe, I witnessed the Barney Fife attitude and behavior in person.Β* There is no way in hell I am going to pay to have this wonderful experience of flight and have that pleasureΒ*be ruined by some club member who thinks he sits on the left hand side of God.Β*
    6.Β* The politics of this hobby will be the bane of its existence.Β* I am a senior citizen and am witness to the difference of attitude of these up and coming generations.Β*Β* Dual working parentsΒ*cause lack of mentorship as well as theΒ*neglect of basic education regarding respect and manners.Β* I was taught to ''respect my elders''.Β* This doesn't mean that all kids are disrespectful or lacking manners.Β* Things obviously are changing.Β* How many times do you see a young man hold the door for a lady.Β* Whatever happened to ''thank you'', ''Yes sir, yes Ma'am''?
    7.Β* ''Old Schoolism'' is fading fast and so are attitudes at the fields.Β* As I look back at my youngΒ*arrogant and rebellious years of thinking I was so much smarter than my parents, IΒ*believe there is no better education than time and tenure.Β* There is certainly no method in which we teach life to some too young to care to learn.Β*
    8.Β* We all are participants in a very dangerous hobby and quite often we overlook the risks we involve ourselves in.Β* Safety is the obligation of everyone at the flying field.Β* In this case it seems that the lack of education and respect for this hobby were as much the blame as anything.
    overlook

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where are the young people i belong to 2 clubs have been to many others and have not see any one under 50 come to calif. kids are just not in to the hobby

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oneaew@msn.com

where are the young people i belong to 2 clubs have been to many others and have not see any one under 50 come to calif. kids are just not in to the hobby

Video games.
    I didn\'\'\'\'t say it was the plane\'\'\'\'s fault. I said I was blaming the plane.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: oneaew@msn.com

I belong to several clubs. The ones growing in size with young people in them have a progressive membership where innovation is promoted. The others are shrinking and are mostly full of older guys who are retired that usually show up and don't fly but complain about anything and everything. My main club is the later and I have been a member for 40 years and now all of the guys that were real modelers and innovators are the complainers and I at 53 am one of the younger guys in the club. We can't seem to get through to them that we can't grow if all they want to do is argue at the field and meetings about stupid things. I joined a club 120 miles away so I could fly my turbines in peace and with the support of the fellow club members at the Farview Fleys field.
    I use my real name and am not sponsored by anyone but myself

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Our club banned helicopters because of an "incident" that supposedly occurred over 18-20 years ago. I know of at least 10 prospective members that won't join just because they fly both planes and helis. They have an alternative field so they say to heck with the club and just move on. No way to get either side to budge so they'll just sit there and live in mediocrity. It's sad. I'm one of the middle to older group but am open to new things... We are open to jets though

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Seniors we are that. Built kits and or scratch built. Problem I got is from these young punks coming to flying field think they really built an ARF like all of them. To stupid or should I say want fast food planes. Senior guy with over 40 years built this. Lets see those snot nosed wanna be's top this.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ge95383.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	1835597  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

[X(] This is going to get ugly..
    Club NO MAX! No boarder..No Limits..No POLITICS! NO "MAX"

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do you fly at the riverside club

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: henschel

Seniors we are that. Built kits and or scratch built. Problem I got is from these young punks coming to flying field think they really built an ARF like all of them. To stupid or should I say want fast food planes. Senior guy with over 40 years built this. Lets see those snot nosed wanna be's top this.

It's attitudes like this that keep most new ones away from the hobby. Attitudes like this do go away in due time however .....

~V~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

in the last 15yrs i have not seen any one under 50 flying> most men say there kids dont like flying

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

C'mon guys its time this was put to bed, both the oldies and the newbies can be a pain, but in this new year lets live and let live.

Mike
    My Gast is Flabered.
    No matter what anyone say's 100% is the maximum you can get.
    If you see a deleted post, my Avatar say's it all.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

your right iam 80 and stll fly good everyone start the new yr off fresh

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm 71 and hang around with a bunch of old guys who live for the hobby and have a great time. We mow the grass, roll it in spring and maintain it all year round. We even go to the field when the weather is too bad to fly. We love the kids. We have a closed membership of 100 and because we have one of the best sites in the area we have a really good cross section of ages. We have a long waiting list but juniors have unlimited membership and we have a few under 18s. I build all the time because I don't no any other way. I have the odd artf and I am fine with these. I wish I could build as good.
    I passed this link to other members of our committee to illustrate what a great club we run. It is hard work trying to create harmony and occasionaly we fail but we do try. Happy new year, Ron.

ORIGINAL: wojtek

It's attitudes like this that keep most new ones away from the hobby. Attitudes like this do go away in due time however .....

~V~

EXACTLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does this thread have to do with ARF's or building? NOTHING !! But, it shows the "I'm better than you" attitude some people have. And that attitude is what keeps "Kids" from wanting to join a club, or keeps a club from progressing.

Oh well... I've said Good By to the club I've been a member of for a lot of years... and will be attending the meeting on Friday night of the club I'm joining this year.
    Tony

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is sad to see this type of attitude. I have been lucky enough to never run into this kind of attitude in my 35 years of modeling, building, flying. I was lucky enough to fly at a field with many TopGun winners and they would let me have time to fly at the field with my dad, even when I was doing aerobatic stuff and they were next to fly their award winning models.

There are many facets to our hobby. Some enjoy building more than others and some fly better than they can build. Some do both and enjoy it equally. In my opinion it is not for us to judge one another but to enjoy the hobby together. You would be amazed what you learn from everyone around you if you open your eyes and your mind.

Dave

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

<- this "snot nosed wanna be" is 28 years old and has been active in this hobby for 22 years. Not only so i design or heavily redesign ever model i work on, i cut my own kits by hand, i build them, paint them and do all the systems install. I als do all of my own molds and composite work, design my own landing gear in CAD. Basically the only thing i dont do, is machine the parts for the gear due to a lack of space and finances for the equipment.

And to top your holy'er than though attitude, ill "top that"

You may now commence eating our own shoe's. People like you are the reason why people my age dont get involved or stay involved in this hobby more often. The field i am a member of is 99.9% full of 50's + generation, and over half of them always have to make something out of nothing and debate on it for hours, make a decision and move on, this is a hobby, not a retirement planning meeting.
    Thomas W.
    Euro-sport Evo, Scratch built 1/7 F-14D Tomcat, 26.5% Gee Bee R2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I am now 63 and took my 36 year old son to my club field a few weeks ago. One of the older guys told me I was standing too close to the runway after the first flight of my turbine airplane. This was the second thing he said to me. The first was a question about my dues. I was the only pilot flying at the time and had a spotter and a fire extinguisher. I conceded and told him I would do my best to stand at least 25' from the runway as "recommended" by AMA for safety. My son had been out of the hobby for 4 years and this was the first time I had gotten him to go to the field with me in that time. When my son unloaded his airplane (that we had spent the day before finishing up) the same guy ask him for his AMA card (he forgot it at home) and told him he could not fly without it. I came unglued at the guy and told him people like him are the reason younger people stay at home and play video games. My son was afraid to fly after that thinking he might do something wrong. He is a better pilot than me. The guy wrote me a long letter explaining how wrong I was and because I fly jets I think I am better than him. I have been flying since age 12 and have been dealing with these types the entire time but will never get used to it. It is a waste of time trying to explain it to them because they just don't get it. This person had only been in the hobby for about one year and sadly, left the club. That was not my intent but if his departure will help the club attract new people to the hobby, good riddance! We need to be safe and point out unsafe behaviour but much of the time the people pointing it out do so out of jealousy because someone else is a better pilot or has better equipment (or is younger than them). They are easily seen all over RCU by everyone but themselves.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

How many times is this guy going to post pictures of his B-58? I think he's fishing for complements on it so he won't be embarrassed to take it to the field. I hope he's not holding his breath waiting...

Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rhklenke

How many times is this guy going to post pictures of his B-58? I think he's fishing for complements on it so he won't be embarrassed to take it to the field. I hope he's not holding his breath waiting...

Bob
    The B-58 looks nice. It's the attitude he presented that stinks.

Greg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In My lifes observations, I have found that many people vent Their aggressions on those that did'nt deserve it because they did'nt have the courage to fight back against those that made them sour in the first place! Misdirected aggression. I'm just offering somthing to think about!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: F-16 viperman

In My lifes observations, I have found that many people vent Their aggressions on those that did'nt deserve it because they did'nt have the courage to fight back against those that made them sour in the first place! Misdirected aggression. I'm just offering somthing to think about!
    I think this was on one of my good fortune cookies last night !.

Pete Lane
    P-47 Thunderbolt Brother hood # 71

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: ddennison

You would be amazed what you learn from everyone around you if you open your eyes and your mind.
    +1.

Sean McHale - Malvern, PA
    "Strive for simplicity. You never have to repair what you leave out." - Bill Lear
    Kingtech Turbines - www.kingtechturbines.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast